WnSoft Forums

Trim/Convert-V10-locks up [SOLVED]

goddi

Greetings Igor,

When I do a certain step in Trim/Convert, PTE V10 locks up. Here are my steps:

I 'Trim/Convert' a video clip. I get the 'Filename.converted.mp4'. Then, I want to 'Trim/Convert' that file and I should  get 'Filename.converted.converted.mp4. I do, but I want to overwrite the existing file so I remove the second '.converted' and it ask if want to overwrite it and I say 'Yes', to save it with the same name, 'Filename.converted.mpt'. But it locks up.

This has happened several times. Needs Taskmanager to close PTE.

Gary

4 hours ago, Igor said:

Gary,

Do I understand rightly, that this freezing occurs when you set a filename for output file same as input file? So encoding is logically impossible.

I reproduce this freezing and we'll add a protection for this case.

Igor, It happens when I edit the filename to be the same as the previous filename so that it gets overwritten. PTE recognizes that it is the same filename and asks if I want to overwrite the old filename and I select 'Yes'. At that point the Trim/Convert window freezes at '0%'. I think other functions of PTE also freeze and I have to use Task Manager.

Gary

• Igor changed the title to Trim/Convert-V10-locks up [SOLVED]
On 10/16/2019 at 3:35 AM, Igor said:

Gary,

Do I understand rightly, that this freezing occurs when you set a filename for output file same as input file? So encoding is logically impossible.

I reproduce this freezing and we'll add a protection for this case.

Igor, Will it be corrected in the next sub-version update?

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/20/2019 at 6:44 AM, Igor said:

Gary,

Check new PTE 10.0.2. 

We fixed issue with freezing of a video converter when source and destination file names were same.

Igor,

I am using 10.0.5. I've been reworking a bunch of old shows so I have been recreating the revised MP4s. The freezing of Publishing when overwriting a show has occurred twice more. When I Publish an MP4, and edit out the '(2)' to overwrite the previous version, the process locks up. The 'Terminate' does not work. I have to use Task Manager to delete the PTE process and start over, which usually then works. Not a big deal since I know now how to get out of the situation but might be troublesome for others if it happens. I notice that when this problem happens, the 'HW is not available' (something like that) shows up. I have been using HW when Publishing MP4s.

Gary

51 minutes ago, Igor said:

Gary,

This problem might occur if you chosen a name for a file which already exists and locked (opened in a player). 

In future version we'll add a special warning for this case to help users understand about reason of this problem.

Igor, When I went into the Task Manager to delete the existing PTE items, there were 3 'PTE AV Studio' items listed. Normally there is only one for the opened program. I'd have a second one if I started doing a Publish. I don't remember doing anything abnormal that would cause a third 'PTE AV Studio' to occur. I'll keep my eye on it. Since it happened twice in one day, it is not clear what I might have done to cause this. But the additional problem might be that the 'Terminate' would not work to clear out the problem of the frozen Publish window. Only the Task Manager to delete the 3 instances of PTE AV Studio would clear out the problem.

Gary

Gary.

Please try to reproduce this problem and give me instruction how to repeat it.

Yes, if video encoding didn't start correctly (freezes) the process may stay in system memory with zero CPU loading and will be closed during next restart of Windows.

Igor, Sure, but it happens so randomly and infrequently. I'll keep you posted if it happens again. But, as I had mentioned, after the Publish freezes (does not progress), the Terminate does not terminate the process or clear the Publish window.

Gary