WnSoft Forums

Problems with video converter (PTE10)

Magis

I plainly report bugs that make the video converter unusable, at least for me. I want to cut videos. I tried it with mp4 and mpg formats. Same problem. Sometime it works, sometime it blocks when placing the start and end points, sometime it converts the entire video though i placed start and end points. Should I forget the tool and use an other one to do the job ? (PTE 10 running on win 10)

Hi,

Can you reproduce any of these problem?

If yes, please send us a sample video file and 2 screenshots: a window of video converter with settings and Trim settings window.

Usually video converter should work fine with MP4 videos (H.264 format).

Igor,  I am pretty sure I had experience a similar problem. I was trying to trim a video clip.It kept converting the entire clip and not just where I had set the start/end points. I thought it was just me. After fiddling with it, I was able to get the clip trimmed. I can't remember exactly what I was working on so I can't provide any samples at the point. But just for your information, it did happen to me. Sorry I can't be more specific at this point. One thing I can remember is that the video clip I was trying to trim was created from digitizing a Hi8 analog tape, if that makes any difference.

Gary

Igor,

Thanks for your answer. I hasn't been warned about it and I had gone elsewhere in the meantime .... I tried to do the job with another tool (format factory, nice features and nice ergonomy, it's possible to convert one file into splitted files, or several files into several splitted files in one go, but the tool is not precise enough - time stamps are approximatives ...).

I will try again with PTE which would be my best choice. If I encounter problems again, I will make the hard copies you mention. At present, I've just made a new test but couldn't reproduce the error. Goddi says he had problems with files coming from converted Hi8 analog tapes. My files come from converted Video8 analog tapes ... Could it be a clue ???

At the present moment, I have stopped converting due to these problems. I focus on derushing and taking notice of times or sequencesof my numerous dvd's. Therefore it's possible It takes sometime before coming back to you, but the question will remain pending.

Sincerely yours

Igor,

With the following link you should access a word and pdf document including the hard copies and 3 copies of the file

VTS_01_1.mp4 is the original file I want to split

VTS_01_1 converted.mp4 is a supposedly splitted file which should have met the start and end points. As the file was to be copied without any cut, I stopped the process before the end.

I relaunched the process with the same result (no split). This is VTS_01_1 converted(2).mp4. I notice that it should be only a little part of the original file. In real, it is almost double size compared to the original file

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qg2xv4lluazoy0m/AADLXeNUkK0qZN4SqTmD_iHra?dl=0

Could you please tell me when you have uploaded what you need, in order for me to cancel the files and gain space on my dropbox.

I hope all this will help. Awaiting your answer, I stop trying to cut my  videos

Sincerely yours

Hi,

Thanks for the files.

I quickly checked your original video file (VTS_01_1.mp4) and tried to convert it with trimming according your screenshot - 16:56:990 - 17:59:816,  new duration = 1:02:826. It was converted correctly. New video is 1:02:826 and file size is 36 MB.

I'll check again on my next working day.

Can you allow other members check video converting according screenshots in your Word file?

No problem for allowing other members if they are keen for helping. Do I leave the files on dropbox longer?

The problem is that it happens aleatorily. All my first conversions were ok. And now it happens frequently but not everytime. But it happens with different files, all these files having been created by a conversion of converted files. The process is as follow:

Video 8 cartridge tape > dvd format (including .vob file)
Vob file > mpg file using format factory sw
Vob file > mp4 file using format factory sw
mp4 file split using PTE10 on windows 10

On the go, I have a question: is the mp4 file reincoded when split to smaller mp4 files ? If yes, as mp4 is a compressed format, do I have a loss in definition / quality?

Thanks for your help

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for my late response.

I admit that not accurate trimming may be caused with certain source video formats and video decoders. In this case we can't fix it, only wait when it will be improved in updated version of video decoders.

Did you observe this problem with trimming of MP4 source video files?

On 11/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, Magis said:

On the go, I have a question: is the mp4 file reincoded when split to smaller mp4 files ? If yes, as mp4 is a compressed format, do I have a loss in definition / quality?

Any conversion of a video file in PTE means certain loss in quality. I know that some good video converts allows you split/trim original video file without loss in quality, if you keep all original parameters. If even one parameter is changed or set incorrectly, video will be re-encoded completely. Usually I don't care about this problem for my personal tasks, because original video clips have large file size and high bitrate value, so I need to optimize them and also perform some corrections (trimming, etc).

For all:

Can you help me reproduce this problem using Dropbox download link above?

On 10/29/2019 at 11:17 AM, Igor said:

Gary,

If you can reproduce this problem, send me a sample video.

Igor,

Here is a link to a short video clip where I have a problem doing a Convert/Trim. It is a clip that I captured from a Hi8 video tape using a Roxio Capture device. It converts to MPG format. When I try to trim off the initial portion and part of the ending (in a Convert/Trim process), many times the Trim sections remain and it just converts the entire clip, with no Trimming. And, many times when it does manage to Trim the clip, the audio portion is not there. So, it could be just a problem using the Roxio to capture analog video. But just in case you want to see the problem, here is the video clip. Not a big problem for most but it is for me since I have a lot of Hi8 tapes to bring into PTE. If you are curious:

https://send.firefox.com/download/fdcb690cb00e1fa5/#LWv-pD-NWYvBUt8Ug2tjqw

Gary

4 hours ago, Igor said:

...not accurate trimming may be caused with certain source video formats and video decoders .... Did you observe this problem with trimming of MP4 source video files?

Any conversion of a video file in PTE means certain loss in quality....

Hi Igor,

What I observe occurs with MP4 format and MPG format as well. You underline several questions and you are right:

Trimming not accurate: this is true. In the past I used Pinnacle and the cut was decided at the image level. This is fantastic. But for the present job I do not need that precision and I'm not willing to implement such a sophisticated software for simply cutting pieces of videos dedicated to be integrated in PTE projects. But at the present moment, its a bit more than not very accurate ...

This is not my main concern and I could cope with "not accurate" cuts. The main concern is that I place start and end points, but the video is converted entirely (often, not always) exactly as if the start and end points did not exist.

My second question was about loss in quality. As I just want to cut pieces of videos, it is unusefull to reincode them. As much as the original file is not very good quality, a Video 8 format from the 80's converted to a poor dvd format...

55 minutes ago, goddi said:

Igor,

Here is a link to a short video clip where I have a problem doing a Convert/Trim. It is a clip that I captured from a Hi8 video tape using a Roxio Capture device. It converts to MPG format. When I try to trim off the initial portion and part of the ending (in a Convert/Trim process), many times the Trim sections remain and it just converts the entire clip, with no Trimming. And, many times when it does manage to Trim the clip, the audio portion is not there. So, it could be just a problem using the Roxio to capture analog video. But just in case you want to see the problem, here is the video clip. Not a big problem for most but it is for me since I have a lot of Hi8 tapes to bring into PTE. If you are curious:

Gary

I guess we have a real clue. My context is roughly the same. Video 8 tapes converted to DVD format (I don't know by what tool, but could ask). VOB files converted to MPG files and / or MP4 files (Format Factory software). One difference, I've not observed the loss of the sound track, but I've not really checked

On 11/18/2019 at 6:08 AM, Igor said:

Hi,

Sorry for my late response.

I admit that not accurate trimming may be caused with certain source video formats and video decoders. In this case we can't fix it, only wait when it will be improved in updated version of video decoders.

Did you observe this problem with trimming of MP4 source video files?

Any conversion of a video file in PTE means certain loss in quality. I know that some good video converts allows you split/trim original video file without loss in quality, if you keep all original parameters. If even one parameter is changed or set incorrectly, video will be re-encoded completely. Usually I don't care about this problem for my personal tasks, because original video clips have large file size and high bitrate value, so I need to optimize them and also perform some corrections (trimming, etc).

For all:

Can you help me reproduce this problem using Dropbox download link above?

I was able to trim both sections of video with PTE 10. The mediainfo time of playback was a few mSec different than displayed by PTE 10 and in Word document.

1:02:20
0:36.240

Gary's MPG file lost audio when trimming blank begin and end sections.

All of the tests were very fast due to hardware encoding.

Tom
Windows 10
Ryzen 7 2700x
Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB

On 11/18/2019 at 9:04 PM, goddi said:

Igor,

Gary

Gary,

I still can't reproduce any problem with trimming and video converting. Every time a resulting file is OK, correct duration with audio.

Do you use Hardware acceleration option?

On 11/18/2019 at 9:58 PM, Magis said:

What I observe occurs with MP4 format and MPG format as well. You underline several questions and you are right:

Trimming not accurate: this is true. In the past I used Pinnacle and the cut was decided at the image level. This is fantastic. But for the present job I do not need that precision and I'm not willing to implement such a sophisticated software for simply cutting pieces of videos dedicated to be integrated in PTE projects. But at the present moment, its a bit more than not very accurate ...

This is not my main concern and I could cope with "not accurate" cuts. The main concern is that I place start and end points, but the video is converted entirely (often, not always) exactly as if the start and end points did not exist.

My second question was about loss in quality. As I just want to cut pieces of videos, it is unusefull to reincode them. As much as the original file is not very good quality, a Video 8 format from the 80's converted to a poor dvd format...

How bad accucary with trimming? Several framesm, milliseconds, seconds?

I could not say precisely but for me it's seconds. In fact it should be an error in the reading of the position of a flag. For instance, I place the flag at the beginning of a sequence and the cut operated just before the end of the previous sequence. But my main concern is mainly when the flags are ignored and the video is entirely converted, with no cut.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:20 AM, Igor said:

Gary,

I still can't reproduce any problem with trimming and video converting. Every time a resulting file is OK, correct duration with audio.

Do you use Hardware acceleration option?

Igor, Yes, I use HA. But when the Trimming problem occurs, PTE shows that HA is not available, even though it works normally at other times. Sometimes I don't get the audio and sometimes the trim flags are ignored (as Magis points out).

Gary

Igor, I just did about 7 test of the Trim/Convert with is video clip. The Trimming seemed to work. But, the audio problem did not get fixed. I noticed that the only time the audio would be retained was when I did not advance the left Trim tab. If I left the left Trim tab all the way to the left to be at the original position, the audio was retained in the Trimming. If I moved the left Trim tab to the right to trim off part of the beginning portion, I got no audio. With or without HA.

Gary