WnSoft Forums

Suggestions

PTE AV Studio is a superb software program, but I also think that there are some illogical parts to it.

KFSD - Isn’t it about time the KFSD was done away with. Once again a newer user of the software has contacted me because they could not work out why their video came to a stop before the next one was fully on screen. It’s fixed as many will know on this forum by ticking the KFSD box in preferences. What new user of the software would expect to have to go into the preferences and set the KFSD just to get their videos to display correctly? 

Make the default setting KFSD and if it’s really necessary to have the other option, it should be for the knowledgeable and more experienced users who have to adjust that in preferences. Not the beginner who doesn’t even know it exists.

Change image/video - One of the more useful options, especially for the newer user, is the Change image or video option on the main screen. To be able to swap an image/video and leave all the settings in place is a great benefit, so why does the user have to go to the preferences and turn it on? How do they know this great option even exists? Surely that should be something turned on as a default.

Keyframe Time Value - With regard to the Keyframe time box. The type of user most likely to require their animation to be programmed down to small fractions of a second are going to be experienced animation enthusiast?

I think most would accept it’s the animation enthusiast that most requires that level of control, not the average user. So, if a keyframe needs to be placed at the 4 second point on the timeline, we should be able to just put 4 in the keyframe time, not 4000. The default should be single numbers, (as it was in the beta versions of PTE9) because those who want 4.233 will know more about this and they can type in any tiny value they want.

Orange Volume Line - Many newer users of the software have become frustrated when they lose the Orange Volume line.  It’s a simple issue when your experienced and in the know, but easy to miss if your not. We know this because of the times this question has been asked after it has become turned off by accident.

Logic seems to suggest that if you purchase the Pro version where the volume line is such a bonus, why would you want it off. Surely it should be on by default and the more knowledgeable user can turn it off in preferences if they have a need, although I can’t think of a need right now.

I recall you saying that and thinking it was a good idea and I repeated it in a video somewhere. Why not have them all on and allow users to turn off what they don’t use. It’s not as though we are pushed for space around the screen

I don't think that stories become better if they are told again and again. KFSD is a feature that has very bad side effects. In my courses, I always recommend to take care that it is switched off. If WnSoft does not like to cancel it, this unpleasant feature should at least be turned off by default.

I agree that the keyframe time should be handled like the transition duration.

It is sometimes amusing what people regard as logic :rolleyes:

No doubt you will have already expected me to react in the way I am, so I won't disappoint you :D

Change image/video   Agree that this should be on by default

Orange Volume Line   Agree, I have never wanted to turn this off & had several people puzzled when they have accidentally clicked it off & not realised.

Keyframe Time Value   I very rarely if ever look at the keyframe time and don't think I have ever actually typed in a number. I simply position the keyframe where I want it by dragging. It is so much easier now that we can see the waveform. 

KFSD - Isn’t it about time the KFSD was done away with

I couldn't believe it when I read this first line from you Barry.  But then I read the rest!! :(
I have never understood why anyone would want KFSD. As jt49 says it causes all sorts of problems.
If people really want their video to continue playing while the next slide dissolves in then it is very easy to just drag that slide back by the required amount.
No need for KFSD just position the slides/videos where you want them.

Jill

Jill

If people really want their video to continue playing while the next slide dissolves in then it is very easy to just drag that slide back by the required amount. 

Everything is easy when we know how, but the fact that this issue gets raised indicates that it’s not easy for everyone. Simply because there are aspects of the software they haven’t learned yet, but that is my point. Those who have learned can do it easily, so why not structure the default for those who don’t know yet. Help the software’s reputation for ease of use, because it helps the newer user and doesn’t hurt the experienced user.

22 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

Jill

If people really want their video to continue playing while the next slide dissolves in then it is very easy to just drag that slide back by the required amount. 

Everything is easy when we know how, but the fact that this issue gets raised indicates that it’s not easy for everyone. Simply because there are aspects of the software they haven’t learned yet, but that is my point. Those who have learned can do it easily, so why not structure the default for those who don’t know yet. Help the software’s reputation for ease of use, because it helps the newer user and doesn’t hurt the experienced user.

Barry, I appreciate that things are easy once you know how. But I think that going to the Timeline & moving a sllide is hopefully more intuitive than looking for a setting you know nothing about.

To make KFSD the default could cause confusion for a lot of existing users, some who may also not know where to look when suddenly things no longer work as they used to.
You can't teach an old dog......:huh:

Fair enough, I don’t have a dog in this fight, because I know how the software works. I was just thinking about the demise of PSG and wondering if that was due to bad management on their part, or a trend that struck them first. You can see where I’m going with this thought can’t you ?  (igor don’t read this) 

I’ve always been happy to share an idea, but also happy to live with what Igor and his team decide. There are no rights or wrongs, just choices. However, think I have been in a unique position over the years. Through my website and videos I’ve had hundreds of contacts asking PTE questions, far more than Photoshop ones.  Most of those queries would be classed as dead basic to most on this forum, yet they were not basic to those who asked them.

The ideas I listed were those that have been raised with me lots of times. 

10 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

... The ideas I listed were those that have been raised with me lots of times.

It is a question of logic what kind of recommendations you deduce from the users' questions or problems. Sometimes, your logic seems to be different from mine :)