WnSoft Forums

music choices for background

pushu

Guido,

You would think that classical music from 100 or more years ago is not under copyright, but that is not the case. The performers of the piece can hold copyright for their renditions. For example, although Tchaikovski is not under copyright, Van Cliburn's rendition of him is.

Sharon (Starfish)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point Sharon,

It only takes a glance at any Music CD to see its copyright protected which is why Maureen and Alrobin's along with other members "Suggestions" of using royalty free Music are so helpful. I am not suggesting everyone creating a slideshow should go down this road but if you are distributing a CD for commercial gain ie.,promoting your work then obviously you should respect the author of the piece's rights and entitlements for the use of their music, I am sure he had to pay some photographer or artist for the photographs on the CD sleve..............But yes Gotta have a good track for impact no arguements!!!!!!!!

Regards Clive,

Hello Guys

Just a note on this subject , have you ever thought of rolling your own music , you would be suprised how easy it is and its great fun to , the best program l have found for this is Sonic foundrys Acid Pro , its very easy to use incredably powerfull , comes with a mountain of great loops , effects etc .

It allows you to rip a section of any audio cd and mix it with anything ,you would be suprised what you can make , just to many features to list here , it is a really good program .

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/Products/showp...uct.asp?PID=704

Regards Rod

PS its great for scoring video also

Just a note !!!! very funny I have a funnier one Rod........ Me trying to compose a soundtrack Ha!! Ha!! Alrobin had a good idea along the same lines only for the RECORD he was doing it from SCRATCH, I hope when he gets around to it he will share it with the forum. It is a good idea for anyone with a bit of talent in that direction I shall give Acid a look though

Regards,

Clive.

Cool Edit Pro: $250 US .

Cool Edit 2000: $ 69 US, or $98 for both "2000" and "Studio" multimixer, a must if you have "2000".

(From Syntrillium).

Both "Pro" and "2000" are excellent sound programs. "2000" is sufficient for most digital recording, converting, mixing, and editing for background music and sound effects. "Pro" gives you more channels, more effects, and more transformations, etc.

Ciao,

Al

Harold,

"Studio" lets you load a number of wave or mp3 files onto a 4-channel "storyboard", and play around with their placement with respect to each other. It lets you control (to the millisecond) when one piece of sound or music starts after another one ends, for example, or combine a number of sounds with a longer background piece, and then mix everything down to a single wave or mp3 file. (Guess that's why they call it a "mixer"). It's a "must-have" if you are using a number of different selections in a show and are the least bit fussy about how they merge into each other.

"Acoustica" will also let you sort out different files, too, but it is more limited in the control one has over the placement of the pieces, and mixing of different sources. And it's GUI is not as attractive, either.

"Studio" has only 4 "channels" whereas the mixer in the "Cool Edit Pro" I believe has 120 different "channels". However, you can put several selections (either mono or stereo) on each channel, so I find 4 more than enough for my requirements.

Ciao,

Al

Harold, the installation was instaneous in my case.

I just downloaded it, and there it was, as part of "Cool Edit2000". It's just a plug-in, so Cool Edit just goes out and finds it if you install it per directions, which are very simple.

By the way, you can also overlap pieces to smooth the transitions between them.

Ciao,

Al

• 2 years later...

You may find that our license of royalty free music is both flexible and cost effective. We offer may styles of music that have been created to work with all kinds of media projects from slideshows, presentations, websites, animations to video, games and other uses.

Hope this helps

Please visit www.beatsuite.com for more information and instant music playbacks.

Thanks

Steve

Royalty Free Production Music Flash Music Loops Flash Sounds

Hi Clive,

I think that you might be wrong in your thinking about MIDI files. Even if the PERFORMANCE is not copyrighted the MUSIC ITSELF is still copyrighted so unless your Midi files use non-copyright music it is still an infringement (I think).

If you stick with the classical repertoire and avoid the more famous performers you would be "relatively" safe.

Look at the NAXOS range of CDs - there is a wealth of material there.

DaveG

Hi all

I get to wear many hats in my life and one of them has been as a studio percussionist. I have only just read this thread all the way through and, as it happens, I have been planning to release a series of world percussion tracks for use as audio backgrounds. The tracks will actually be programmed (it's hard getting a life-size African Djembe orchestra round my computer) but of very good quality. Music will include rhythms from Brazil, Central Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Most will be based on traditional rhythm patterns but with a contemporary feel. Downloadable quality will be a minimum of 128 that can be re-sampled if you require smaller size files. Music length will generally be about 4-5 mins each.

Percussion music can cover many moods and emotions - uptempo and pulsing, to mysterious and exotic. I find that percussion soundtracks make superb audio backgrounds to more unusual shows requiring a different kind of impact.

At this point in time I am making a few tweaks and adjustments to different arrangements. I am also wondering how much people might be willing to pay per track. If I was gorgeously wealthy I would give these away for free - but, I am not, so I am needing to make a little return on what will be high quality, royalty-free tracks. That said, I want to price realistically to put these within reach of most people.

If anyone is interested, and would like to add their name to my list then I will contact people as soon as the tracks are finished - which won't be long.

Drop me a PM for info, with suggestions, or feedback regarding 'pricing'.

Beth

Dave,

My understanding is that if the composer has been dead for 50 years, his or her compositions are no longer protected by copyright. One can record such music, convert it to MIDI for a slideshow, or perform it in public without obtaining special permission from anyone.

However, a particular arrangement of a non-copyrighted composition could still be protected by copyright.

Certainly, a specific recording of any music selection is protected from direct copying, but one could transcribe the music into MIDI format, or play it using real instruments, and use that for a slideshow, unless, of course, the particular arrangement of that piece is still covered.

I believe that MIDI pieces created by someone else are protected by copyright, but it is very easy to modify them so that it would be difficult to prove ownership, especially after they have been converted to mp3 or wave format.

Agreed Al,

I made no reference (or at least none was intended) to the age of the composition used in the MIDI file so if the composition converted to MIDI was less than 50 years old a copyright issue would exist. My comment "stick with the classical repertoire" refered to CDs and not to MIDI.

Because of its age, we are getting close (I think) to the time when using a MIDI file (your own arrangement) of "Stranger On The Shore" would be acceptable but using Acker Bilk's original recording would still be most definitely not.

That's my understanding.

Your comment about being "difficult to prove ownership" reflect my thoughts about the Naxos or similar budget recordings where less well known performers are involved.

DaveG

Its time that copyright laws were reviewed I think. I have been into audio visual for about 20+ years both conventional and digital and what actually happens with AV enthusiasts is they spread the word about music.

Its free advertising for the artists. I have bought loads of CD's and records over the years as a result of hearing a track on a slide show. Andreas Volenwilder, tangerine dream, Mike Oldfied Tomita to name a few. Far from doing those artsist out of money I have made them some.

If the music is not being used for gain there should be no problem.

Barry

DaveG

No, that is not a reasonable comparison at all. I wasn't referring to music sharing, but copyright. So, I buy a CD of music and pay my money, as long as I am not using the music for gain where is the issue and the point I tried to make is that far from stealing something AV workers are actually promoting it.

With camera clubs photoshop is generally shared between members, but that is not what I was referring to

Barry

With camera clubs photoshop is generally shared between members, but that is not what I was referring to

and pray tell how do you do that legally :)

i do not expect an answer - admitting it is bad enough - -i would not like to hear that the copyright bobbies raided a camera club meeting B)

ken

Its time that copyright laws were reviewed I think.

Barry,

I agree with you 100% that our usage of copyright music in AV productions would only serve to promote the artists' work without taking anything away from them at all.

But here in Canada, and the US too, I believe, the copyright laws are currently being reviewed, and the outcome is almost certainly to be tighter controls in favour of the mega-music companies, and without regard to the needs of you or me. Unfortunately, we have very little voice in this matter at all.

Ken:

Thankfully the facilities where we hold out Photo Club meetings are covered by an agreement with the appropriate copyright police, so we won't get raided. ;)

Now if the police come after me when I am showing AVs to retirement homes and nursing homes....

I do use some royalty free music, but not always

For great royalty free piano music, and at a great low price, try:

http://www.gregmaroney.com/

I've been using his stuff for a while now and Greg's pieces have received many call backs by clients that weren't expecting the music to be so moving. It's kinda nice to get those call backs and especially nice that I can get positive response from royalty free music!

Larry