WnSoft Forums

Proposal of organized topics

Ernst

I am very glad that the forum came back, that we all are newbies, and there is a lot of enthusiasm to post.

But as this enthusiasm grows, the many diverse topics also grow.

I would like to propose (not my original idea only I had some feedback from other forum participants) that the possibility is explored to set up more forums under the general umbrella of www.wnsoft.com Many of these forum software allow this possibility and I think Invision also (as I have seen in other Invision forums).

So, specific topics could be discussed better organized.

After this post, I think that other members who would agree to this (of course with the venue of Igor) could add topics:

Examples:

1. Synchronization slide-sounds

2. Objects managing

3. Audio general

4. Audio specific: mp3, wav, midi, mixing, editing

5. Image processing. Type, size, conversion?

6. Off-topic discussion. No PTE at all.

7. New software

8. Free stuff

9. Wish lists? I am not sure about this, since wish-lists are also gifts for competitors

10. Etc, etc.

Regards

Ernst

An excellent suggestion Ernst, and it would help point genuine newbies to the right place for Q&A's.

It would need to be done soon so that the forum doesn't grow too large to organise - I guess Igor as administrator would be the one to add the sub-sections. The archived forum would probably need to be added as one complete section of historical information.

Ian

Actually, in my experiences with forum software of this sort, I find it easier to read all messages if there is only one section or forum. That way, I can just run down the list of and read everything that is flagged as new for me. The other way, I'd have to run down multiple lists.

"Get new posts" in some forum software deals with this problem. But in this software, "get new posts" seems to actually gets each new post instead of pointing one to the threads that have new posts.

Harold

Yes, I agree and we're thinking about this idea for a long time.

I like "FAQ section", "Wish-list", "Talking on free themes" and other sub-forums. We plan to prepare a list of suggested sub-forums and will open special voting.

p.s. also I consider that a number of sub-forums should not be too great.

I agree but...

Since sometimes an answer to a question fits to other topics, members who have a problem and are looking for a similar topic can miss the answer. So in my opinion the basic forum should be devided to 2 main sections:

1. Sounds

2. Other

Many times a topic is posted about subject A but answers deals with subjects B, C or D.

other sections can be:

3. Tricks and tips

4. URLs of presentations on members sites

5. Free software, related sites etc.

And now for my original idea:

Since a search is looking for words, it often happen that you get a list of topics but the word you were looking for was just mentioned and the topic is not the one you need. Or, someone have a problem with "autorun" but the answer he gets deals, for example, with "image size".

"Good" answers are sometimes lost in "bad" question. That means, a simple uninteresting question may follow by a very interesting answer.

To solve this problem we can leave the forum as it is and allow members, while writting, to mark the subjects mentioned in their question or answer. The same way we can choose the smiles icons. If someone asking about autorun problem he will mark the "autorun", and if the answer will deal with something connected to size of images (example only), he will mark "image size". In that way the topic will appear not only in the "autorun" section but also in the "image size" section. It will be possible to mark all subjects mentioned. In that way an answer will never get lost.

I hope you follow me.

I have mixed feelings on this subject. I certainly agree with Ernst's intent. I also find my experience to agree with the thoughts of Harold and Boxig. I agree it is handy to look for a specific answer in some cases. But most of what I have learned in PTE forum, I have learned inadvertantly. I have learned much without ever first knowing there was even something to learn or even a possible question.

Sure it sometimes gets tiresome to read the same questions over and over. But I also find it very easy to quickly pass over an item if my circumstances suggest it is not of relevance or interest to me. And there are so many helpful people in this forum, that if a particular expert is tired of answering a repeated question, there is probably a newly educated user who is happy to share their newly gained knowledge on that question.

If Igor does make some changes in this regard, it might take some time and patience and maybe some evolving of the system until it reaches the best combination of methods.