WnSoft Forums

Photoshop CS2 'Layer Comps'

bjc

I’ve just knocked together a quick tutorial which might be of interest to those of you with Photoshop CS2.

It’s based on a rather interesting function of the ‘Layer Comps’ Palette (a seldom used feature of Photoshop), which enables you to automatically create an entire sequence of images from a single multi-layered image file.

The situation being that, having created a composite image, made up from a Background Image plus a series of additional layers (Image Layers and/or Adjustment Layers), and you want to create a sequence of images for your Slideshow that take you through from ‘A’ (the original image) to ‘B’ (it’s finished state), plus any number of intermediate ‘image states’ along the way.

The normal way to do it would be to manually save a ‘jpg’ copy of each image state – which admittedly doesn’t take all that long to do – but now ‘Layer Comps’ will do it for you automatically.

If it sounds like this might be of interest to you, you can download the ‘zip’ file from the link below.

The zip file contains two PTE.exe files – (total 8.75MB)

Layer Comps.exe

Sequence Slide Show.exe

Double-click on the ‘Layer Comps.exe’ to start the ball rolling, this in turn runs the Sequence Slide Show afterwards.

http://www.btinternet.com/~bjc.albaco/PTE/LAYERCOMPS.zip

bjc

Very interesting tutorial. The Photoshop movie does not appear to me that one could do that in PTE 5.0, more like Camtasia. Can you clarify how that part was done? The Layers Comp feature is great for use in creating PTE sequences, and is also available in PS CS as well as CS2.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you for passing comment on my Layer Comps thing ~ I wondered whether CS was also able to achieve this feat and you have now confirmed this ~ cheers !!

As for the tutorial section, I produced that using PTE v.4.40 (and the Timeline), with the screengrabs having been captured with Corel Capture. Camtasia would have been the ultimate choice had I intended to produce a Movie tutorial (I do use it to make Flash tutorials) but I thought in this instance a PTE produced tutorial would be more appropriate.

I’m glad you agree that the Layer Comps method work well for producing transitional slide sequences ~ on the odd occasion when we might need them.

Regards,

bjc

well seeing as i am making the offer, is it too much to provide me with your email addie to use thru the yousendit site?

as stated it is a 9 mb file and my mailer may bounce it by the time the overhead is added it will be close to 12 mb mail file-- and maybe your email will bounce it back to me B)

ken

well seeing as i am making the offer, is it too much to provide me with your email addie to use thru the yousendit site?

as stated it is a 9 mb file and my mailer may bounce it by the time the overhead is added it will be close to 12 mb mail file-- and maybe your email will bounce it back to me B)

ken

Sorry Ken did not realise that there wasnt an attachement option in the members deatils section of the forum. As you can understand i try not to give out my email on an open basis.

Steve

John

it is a 9 mb zip

if i had your email addie i will use yousendit and send to you

ken

Very many thanks Ken. My mail address is :- johnfeag52@btinternet.com

Looking forward to hearing from you.

John

John

check your email

ken

Hello from YouSendIt,

Your file called LAYERCOMPS.zip (9 MB) was sent to johnfeag52@btinternet.com.

please keep the following link for your records in case your recipient misplaces it. The file will expire in 7 days and will be available for 100 number of downloads.

Link: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...6D58BF37AAA4906

http://www.yousendit.com

Your power to illustrate a technique is great. I wonder if you would do the same for explaining how to use PtE5 for someone who just doesn't get it? I have downloaded all the programs made by people who illustrate how to use 5 but they are so technical. I get part way through them and I find that nothing works. So please help out. I feel sure there must be others in my position.

Barbara

Bic

Your explanations are so clear. Can you do the same for PTE 5 for people like myself who just don't "get it?"

Barbara

Barbara,

Thank for your comments re: my ‘power to illustrate’ ~ I didn’t think my explanation was really all that good.

I could, I suppose, ‘attempt’ to put together some form of explanation with regards to the workings of ‘5’ ~ disregarding the standard PTE features of course and focusing just on the new ‘Pan & Zoom’ (and objects) technology.

To be fair, I wouldn’t consider myself as expert at these new techniques ~ the ball has only just started rolling so-to-speak ~ and no doubt many new and clever uses are destined to be discovered by those out there with the necessary imagination. For example: ‘thedom’ has posted a stunning demo using ‘rectangles’ (http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4514 ) ~ well worth watching if you haven’t already seem it.

I will see what I can do, and if anything results I will post it up on the forum.

Regards,

bjc

Dear BJC

I have seen all the efforts by others to explain. I work better when there is a voice guiding my hand/eye. What I am attempting to do is make a history of the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls. I have magnificent pictures but cannot get beyond showing the first scroll and adding the famous advertisement for the sale of 4 scrolls. Then I get stuck. I have spent days on trying to go one step further so whatever you can do will be of immense value to me and the Israel Museum, Jerusalem

Barbara

Barbara,

Your project sounds very interesting indeed ~ however, from the wording of your last message it sounds to me like you are struggling with the production of a standard PTE slideshow sequence rather than the application of the new Version 5 Pan-&-Zoom and object animation functions. Please forgive me if I’m wrong.

If you can create a basic PTE slideshow sequence, with music and synchronisation, then I think it’s fair to say that the new features of Version 5 are but an extension of that. Master the basics and the new skills required to add Version 5 animation are much less of a hurdle.

I am prepared to produce a short FLASH Video Sequence outlining a few of the Version 5 Animation options, but this will only be of value to you if you are already conversant with the standard set of PTE functions.

bjc

Hi Barbara,

See if this helps you in anyway. It is a 27 minute long FLASH-8 Video sequence (a 13MB download).

Download the .zip file, preferably to a new empty folder ~ and un-zip it ~ double-click on the ‘PTE-VERSION-5.html’ file to start the ball rolling.

Depending on your OS you might get Security Warnings coming up on-screen when you try to run the FLASH content (because of the Active-X content) ~ if this happens you will need to click OK to allow these tutorials to run.

It’s the best I could do at this moment in time ~ and it only contains examples of what ‘I’ have discovered so far with regards to Version-5 Animation / Pan & Zoom options ~ I’m sure there are other things that I have yet to come across.

http://www.bjc100.co.uk/PTE/PTE-VERSION-5.zip

Regards,

bjc

Thank you. I will look at it over the weekend. I too have been working hard and managed to get a few items to move around the slides. Thank you so much and I hope I can finally "get it".

Barbara

It's wonderful. You are wonderful and it makes complete sense to me. I am going to redo the sequence I made in my ignorant state and now I really can see how to do it. Everyone should see your presentation.

Many.many thanks.

Barbara

• 2 months later...

It's wonderful. You are wonderful and it makes complete sense to me. I am going to redo the sequence I made in my ignorant state and now I really can see how to do it. Everyone should see your presentation.

Many.many thanks.

Barbara

Hi BJC - I've downloaded Photoshop CS2 Layer Comps. Cannot get the HTML file to come up - 4 red ctrosses - one in each corner - green things at the bottom stop about half way - nothing even though I've waited 30 minutes! SWF file will not play in IrfanView Flash Player. Can you help please? Cheers, Derek

Derek,,

I’m rather puzzled by your message. I produced two tutorials under this Forum Topic heading – which were ‘CS2 Layer Comps’ and ‘PTE-Version-5’.

‘CS2 Layer Comps’ was a slideshow tutorial (made using PTE) – it therefore consisted of only ‘.exe’ files – one tutorial and one demo – this referenced the use of an automated feature of Photoshop CS2 to create JPG files from multiple ‘Layer States’ to aid slideshow production.

‘PTE-Version-5’ was a FLASH movie tutorial, referencing pan-and-zoom techniques in PTE5, this contained ‘.html’ and ‘.swf’ files etc.

If you want to have another go at downloading either (or both) they are currently located at:-

http://www.bjc100.co.uk/PTE/LAYERCOMPS.zip

and

http://www.bjc100.co.uk/PTE/PTE-VERSION-5.zip

bjc

The flash tutorial is excellent. I learned a few things from watching the tutorial. I still enjoy your slide projector presentations from last year.

thanks,

tom

Hi BJC, Sorry but my PC will not play your .swf - flash tutorial - even though I have Irfanview and Adobe Flash Player - something to do with security settings on my PC! Are you able to help at all please so that I can look at what you have to say? Cheers, Derek