WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe v5.00 beta #4

Igor

WNSOFT development team,

I'm impressed with the results of your AVI output work. Good job. Here are some early observations.

1. No matter what quality selection I make (VCD,SVCD,DVD,HD-1080, custom) the output file sizes are identical. Some tag in the AVI is changed to correspond to the desired output dimensions, but the actual dimensions of the frames must be the same for all of them to produce identical file sizes on the hard disk.

2. The Pan and Zoom show up nicely on the TV after the DVD is burned, but Rotations were not as smooth. The degradation was much worse on the TV played by a home DVD player than playing the DVD with a software player (ULead) on the computer. It appears to be related to the specific decoders on these two devices, since the frames in the files are identicle (same DVD used). I don't consider this a fault with the P2E software, although perhaps a better understanding of how decoders works would lead to a more satisfying result on the TV. I'm curious what other people are seeing on their TV sets using home DVD players with regards to Rotations.

3. I don't understand the purpose of creating a temporary only AVI output file. Being able to run through a list of slideshows making corresponding permament files would be easier in the DVD creation process than running 5,6,10 copies of P2E at once.

Overall very nice. You overcame my doubts that the huge amount of bits coming out of the video card's GPU could be adaquately represented in much smaller video standards formats.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

Hi Steve,

You don't "have" to make a temporary AVI output file, that's just a default and what actually happens is not an AVI file but the "instructions" or "template" for an AVI file which is actually created by the various software referenced.

If you click on the "Create Custom AVI Video File" then choose an appropriate video codec such as MPG4, etc., you can create a normal AVI file - you have the best of each world. You can use the template which works with Ulead, Pinnacle or Encore as checked or you can create a custom AVI file with your own choice of audio and video codec. You can use whichever codec you feel works best with the DVD burn software you use.

Lin

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can someone please confirm the following:-

When viewing the preview window in Timeline mode (using synchronisation) if you play from the start, sync appears to be "spot on" but if you pause and relocate the cursor then play from that point sync appears to be out by about a secound?

I appreciate the sync function hasn't yet been fully implemented but just wondering if others are finding the same on this latest beta?

Can someone please confirm the following:-

When viewing the preview window in Timeline mode (using synchronisation) if you play from the start, sync appears to be "spot on" but if you pause and relocate the cursor then play from that point sync appears to be out by about a secound?

I appreciate the sync function hasn't yet been fully implemented but just wondering if others are finding the same on this latest beta?

Andrew,

It seems to be consistent for me. Fast slide changes also match the desired beats in the waveform view.

However, the timing is off by about a second in "Preview" mode compared to timeline playback mode.

Problems with encoding

On my main computer I have problems with wideo-output.

I had written about it.

Now I installed the beta4 on my second computer.

And there it works.

It seems, that encodings works complete different on both computers.

On my Main Computer encoding works very slow.

It seems, that there the video is completly encoding.

On my second computer, encoding works fast.

And then in Nero, the encoding needs many time.

It seems, the program uses different encoding-machines.

Any Idea?

Andreas

PS: The next two weeks I have no internet connection.

post-159-1154792303_thumb.jpg

post-159-1154792316_thumb.jpg

post-159-1154804945_thumb.jpg

Andrew,

It seems to be consistent for me. Fast slide changes also match the desired beats in the waveform view.

However, the timing is off by about a second in "Preview" mode compared to timeline playback mode.

Thanks Al, this is great as it means you can build a perfectly synched show with this beta using the timeline as long as you aren't wanting to test with the preview function.

I don't understand why a binary copy of the tmp AVI file does not work. Maybe Igor can create a separate utility program that opens the ptev encoded AVI file and creates a temporary file for other applications such as media player or encoders without exporting the video again in pte. It seems like the ptev codec is the highest quality and the smallest file size.

Tom,

As Lin said the temporary file created by P2E is not an AVI file. I believe it has that extension so 3rd party video software can find and import it easily. They have used a very unconventional method to get the frames output directly from P2E to encoding softwere, but it provides uncompressed frames with virtually no (perhaps none) hard disk space used. Very impressive. More on this in a future post to the video topic forum.

It seems, that encodings works complete different on both computers.

Andreas,

P2E uses existing CODECs (COmpression-DECompression) installed on the particular computer it is running. So you may get very different results if you don't have the same 3rd party video software and CODECs installed on both machines. Windows comes with some basic ones, and as you install video related programs they add CODECs to your system.

If you click on the "Create Custom AVI Video File" then choose an appropriate video codec such as MPG4, etc., you can create a normal AVI file - you have the best of each world.

Lin,

Thanks for the explanations. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the best quality end result, but it looks like creating an actual AVI file (unless it's uncompressed) will add a decompression-compression cycle to the process. Maybe it wouldn't make much visual difference in practice, but some data (quality) would be lost. More on this in a bit. I don't have enough slideshows to fill a DVD yet, but I'm curious to see if I can run that many copies of P2E at once!

Thanks,

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

Thanks Al, this is great as it means you can build a perfectly synched show with this beta using the timeline as long as you aren't wanting to test with the preview function.

Well, not exactly. Only if you adjust everything by the 1-second or so difference between the "timeline" and "preview", as the finished "created" show behaves the same as the "preview". However, that is easy to do once the show is set up.

Help!

I installed version 5 beta 3 without any problems.

I attempted to download and install beta 4 but when I do I receive the following message:

C/PROGFILES/PICTOEXE5/PTE.chm

error opening file for writing.

Click abort to stop installation,

Retry to try again and ignore to skip file.

I used abort and hence my plea for help.

What have I done wrong?

Igor,

Using Beta 4, I put together a simple p/z/r show and everything worked with the Project Options setting set to Fade in/out with Effect Duration at the default 1500. If I change to Circle From or Diagonal Curl from Right Top at 5% and use the default Effect Duration, everything works...even if I go to 2000 Effect Duration, each of the three seems to work ok. I tried the Video button and it did build an AVI file but I have yet to burn a DVD.

But if I change the Ptoject Option Effect Duration from say 3000 to 8000, all three of these transitions are not finished and gets progressively worst as the duration increases. I run into the same problem if I use Customize Slide to apply these three effects to individual slides at longer durations.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a gilch in Beta4? Thanks...Harvey

Harvey,

I did some more tests, and I have come to the conclusion that you are on to something here.

I found a similar anomaly when I changed the slide duration from 15 sec to 4 seconds, and found that the end keypoints for all of my "O/A" objects are missing. However, the "pzr" effects are still there.

Igor, perhaps you need to look at this and re-think the treatment of keypoints when slide durations or transition times are changed. The end keypoints should at least be moved back in time so that they still appear on the "O/A" timeline when changes are made.

Well, not exactly. Only if you adjust everything by the 1-second or so difference between the "timeline" and "preview", as the finished "created" show behaves the same as the "preview". However, that is easy to do once the show is set up.

Hi Al

This is how it used to be but in this latest beta I loaded a previous show and the final outputed show is synched exactly as per the timeline (without needing to push all points 1 sec out) I also noticed there isn't the delay at the start of the show like there used to be, however if you use the preview function from the timeline it goes back to being 1 sec out from what is shown on the timeline. So i'm saying the timeline without adjustment is in sync, the created show is in sync but the preview is out of sync when launched from the timeline, if you play from the beginning in the timeline it also is synched. This sort of lines up with Igor announcing that in this beta synchronisation to music is almost completed.

I have two questions:

1. If I buy 4.48 now, and also install 5 (beta 4), will I get a registration key that releases the 5 beta to take more than 10 images etc.

2. When is the estimated date of release of the finished version 5.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

1. Go to this link http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/special-offer.htm

to read the following:-

Special offer

Download and try PicturesToExe v5.00 Beta with high quality Pan/Zoom effects.

Order PicturesToExe v4.48 right now and get the final version of PicturesToExe v5.00 for free.

While version 5.00 is in beta, you can install and use both these versions together.

New prices and licenses after the release of PicturesToExe v5.00

After the final release of PicturesToExe v5.00, WnSoft will increase prices and set new licenses with 2 years of free upgrades.

All new customers who placed an order before the date of the final version of PicturesToExe v5.00 get this version by old price!

All existing users get new version for free.

2. No one knows exactly when the final version 5 will be ready but it can't be too far away as most glitches seem to have been ironed out, my guess is by the end of September maybe sooner?

Help!

I installed version 5 beta 3 without any problems.

I attempted to download and install beta 4 but when I do I receive the following message:

C/PROGFILES/PICTOEXE5/PTE.chm

error opening file for writing.

Click abort to stop installation,

Retry to try again and ignore to skip file.

I used abort and hence my plea for help.

What have I done wrong?

I don't know if there was a problem but I have downloaded it again today and it installed ok......... thanks to whoever sorted it out ....... what service!!!!

Hi Al

This is how it used to be but in this latest beta I loaded a previous show and the final outputed show is synched exactly as per the timeline (without needing to push all points 1 sec out) I also noticed there isn't the delay at the start of the show like there used to be, however if you use the preview function from the timeline it goes back to being 1 sec out from what is shown on the timeline. So i'm saying the timeline without adjustment is in sync, the created show is in sync but the preview is out of sync when launched from the timeline, if you play from the beginning in the timeline it also is synched. This sort of lines up with Igor announcing that in this beta synchronisation to music is almost completed.

Hi, Andrew,

I have posted a short test show on my website that illustrates the difference in timing that I'm seeing between the timeline sync and the "preview" and created "exe" show in PTE v.5, b.4. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.alrobinson.com/sync-check.zip .

The file is only 400 kb in size, and contains the project files as well as a created "exe" file. Have a look at the timeline preview, and you should find the synchronization bang-on. However, I find that the images are late by a fraction of a second when I view the finished show, and also the preview from the main pte window.

This test show may be useful for anyone else who wishes to play around with the settings and check the effects of different settings on the synchronization, or compare sync mode with timed mode, etc.

I found a similar anomaly when I changed the slide duration from 15 sec to 4 seconds, and found that the end keypoints for all of my "O/A" objects are missing. However, the "pzr" effects are still there.

Al,

Thx for the update and delving into it further than I went. Being that I was putting togther a show for next weekend, I didn't try different scenarios to test Beta4. All I was trying to do was to work within the present Beta4 contraints to both learn about it's general Beta 4 capablilities and to see if I could do what I wanted it to do. I learned a lot after going in circles for awhile trying different things and figuring out how the new graphic engine functioned..Harvey

Al, my perception agrees with yours. Additionally, I think when in main PTE screen, the "loaf of bread" preview button seems to give same result as the timeline preview.

Robert,

If I start the preview (using the "loaf") from the first slide, I see the same timing as using the main "preview" button. However, if I start the preview from a slide near the middle, then the result is closer to that set up on the timeline. Wierd, eh?

Igor, I think this is something you need to have a look at. Or, perhaps you know about it already, and it's one of the things you still have to perfect in v.5.

Hi, Andrew,

I have posted a short test show on my website that illustrates the difference in timing that I'm seeing between the timeline sync and the "preview" and created "exe" show in PTE v.5, b.4. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.alrobinson.com/sync-check.zip .

The file is only 400 kb in size, and contains the project files as well as a created "exe" file. Have a look at the timeline preview, and you should find the synchronization bang-on. However, I find that the images are late by a fraction of a second when I view the finished show, and also the preview from the main pte window.

This test show may be useful for anyone else who wishes to play around with the settings and check the effects of different settings on the synchronization, or compare sync mode with timed mode, etc.

Hi Al

Thanks for posting the files, I ran on my system and concur with your results, I have established that the reason my show was out of sync on the Timeline Preview but in sync on the final created show was because I was loading a previous already constructed project file, when I tried to rebuild the show from scratch with the new beta my results were the same as yours. Interestingly I would have thought a previous project file shouldn't give a different sync result.

Nevertheless hopefully this is all academic as synchronisation hasn't quite been completed by Igor and the team, maybe these experiments will help.

Tom

Maybe Igor can create a separate utility program that opens the ptev encoded AVI file and creates a temporary file for other applications such as media player or encoders without exporting the video again in pte. It seems like the ptev codec is the highest quality and the smallest file size.

With our video codec we create temporal AVI file which is in fact contains only audio track. It's bridge/link between PicturesToExe and e.g. TMpegEnc/Ulead DVD MF for lossless sending of frames with video for MPEG2 encoding. This reason why such AVI file requires PicturesToExe for work and removes after closing of PicturesToExe. But we plan some significant improvements in this direction.

Al,

What was the reason for leaving out the "cut" transition from "Project Options / Effects"?

This effect in global settings causes the logical problem in v5.00, because when this effect choosed duration of transition effects becomes 0 ms. And if keypoints of some objects linked with end of transition effects, they will be shifted in time.

Igor

I have been doing some tests on video output. My tests are showing that if you let Pictures2exe downsize your images to fit DVD format that the quality of the final video is not as good as if you resized the image in an image editor program first.

For example if you had an image say 3000 x 2000 pixels you are better to resize first to a width of 720 pixels(PAL DVD width dimension) in an external image editor and then load into PTE.

I have found that if I let PTE downsize the image to fit DVD format the video is not as sharp and almost lumpy when compared to using native dimensions in your source images.

Is this correct?

Andy

have to disagree

my test show has mixed image sizes 500/375 on the low end and 1792/1344 [1.5 to 4 mb picts] on the hi end and the large picts are considerably sharper when played on dvd/tv

i used the default settings to make the tmp/vid/avi

then made a mpeg2 with avi

then imported both into nero 6.6

ken

Andreas,

I noticed that with built-in ATI drivers in Windows XP SP2 PicturesToExe 5 slowely encodes video. When I installed drivers from ATI web site, it becomes work in 2 times faster.

About quality of image/resizing for DVD video output.

Try to disable "Smart anti-flicker filter" and set "Progressive video" mode. It will give original picture of video without postfilters.

We use bilinear downsampling for images, but Bicubic is not possible - it works extremaly slowely (in 10-20 times). The only alternate way you described - using of Photoshop.

But it's suitable for static slides with Fade effects only and when you choose "Progressive video" mode.

As I tested, sharp images on dynamic slides with Pan/Zoom effects look bad on old TV (50 or 60 Hz) displays. Some kind of flickering occurs.