WnSoft Forums

Panoramic image stitching

bripat

I'm pretty sure that while browsing this forum a little while ago, I came across a link to a site run by college students offering a free download of photostitch software. This being particularly pertinent with the intro of v5 beta. I would like to take advantage of this . Can anyone help to provide the link please.

I'm pretty sure that while browsing this forum a little while ago, I came across a link to a site run by college students offering a free download of photostitch software. This being particularly pertinent with the intro of v5 beta. I would like to take advantage of this . Can anyone help to provide the link please.

I think you mean Autostitch? Here is the link:-

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Its OK but the best I have found yet is PTGUI, its pretty much automatic now and does a great job especially when you use it with the free SMARTBLEND plugin.

Hope this helps

I think you mean Autostitch? Here is the link:-

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Its OK but the best I have found yet is PTGUI, its pretty much automatic now and does a great job especially when you use it with the free SMARTBLEND plugin.

Hope this helps

Thankyou ADB and Ken Cox for prompt response. This indeed is the link I was referring to. I did initially use the search facility but typed "photostitch" and so got negative response.

Canon also has some photosticth software that I've used with good success. It's not automatic, and, technically, it's not freeware, but I've seen it bundled with many many different things (all Canon cameras, some printers - including non-canon printers - and several other softewares). While they don't "sell" it, it's probably readily available to the ambitious web-hunter.

• 3 weeks later...

Autostitch is a really good pano stitcher, but you have to realize a few things about the free version. It has a fairly primitive interface, as from what I can read from the students, it was meant as a demo of the stitch engine for the purpose of selling the engine to someone who would integrate it into a better UI.

This seems to have happened, but luckily the free demo is still available.

You can't specify the output file name, it always outputs, "pano.exe". So create a new folder for each pano picture set, put your images in that folder, and your output files will land there and won't overlay each other.

Running Autostitch at default values will very quickly create a first blush version pano, useful to decide if you are going to get a decent stitch from you input file set. You will be disappointed in the quality of the pano if you stop there.

After you have decided that your pano is going to look good, and crop out well later in your PS editor, go into "Options" and bump 3 quality settings up from the default numbers to 100%.

Start the stitch up, and go get coffee. It will take much, much longer to do this stitch than the default value run.

The time spent is well worth it. The detail in the resulting stitch will be stunning.

If you have not tried Autostitch at 100%, give it another try.

-=- Jerry -=-

/*

Autostitch is a really good pano stitcher, ......

.....snip.....

After you have decided that your pano is going to look good, and crop out well later in your PS editor, go into "Options" and bump 3 quality settings up from the default numbers to 100%.

Jerry,

Welcome to the Forum!

I second your comments re "Autostitch". Thanks to Bussty's original "heads-up" about the program here on the Forum, I have been using it for about a year, and find that with it's auto-blending capabilities, it is better than any other stitching algorithms I have seen and/or tried, even though the free "demo" version does have a limited interface.

To add to your recommendations, instead of "100%", I usually specify the "long" dimension according to the size of the jpeg that I want as an output. This saves creating a huge file, and then cropping it down later.

I also found that when the 30-day trial period expires, I just need to delete the program file and download it again. There doesn't seem to be any registry insertion, and so no need to "remove" the program via the Control Panel. :)

Jerry,

Welcome to the Forum!

I second your comments re "Autostitch". Thanks to Bussty's original "heads-up" about the program here on the Forum, I have been using it for about a year, and find that with it's auto-blending capabilities, it is better than any other stitching algorithms I have seen and/or tried, even though the free "demo" version does have a limited interface.

To add to your recommendations, instead of "100%", I usually specify the "long" dimension according to the size of the jpeg that I want as an output. This saves creating a huge file, and then cropping it down later.

I also found that when the 30-day trial period expires, I just need to delete the program file and download it again. There doesn't seem to be any registry insertion, and so no need to "remove" the program via the Control Panel. :)

Thanks Al,

That's a good tip, I will file it away in the grey matter --- somewhere!

As you say, the blending is extremely good, and everything is automatic.

Your images don't even have to be in order.

One of the keys to a good pano, tho, is to get a good consistant set of images out of camera. Autostitch can deal pretty well with full auto shots, taken handheld, but as always, good input = good output.

I just have a feeling that Autostitch's capabilities are judged on the default settings, and folks move on to other software based on what they see from those settings.

Cheers,

-=- Jerry -=-

/*