WnSoft Forums

Complete Newbie to PTE

Spudger

Thanks Ken & KSF - i appreciate the comments - I have just watched the Al Robinson tutorial - and it was terrific - i have managed to get 10 photos onto a demo slide show - ok - not rocket science i know but it is a start.

I am going to have a play this afternoon. Any offers on the license ... which do I choose ... at present not selling but who knows where this is going to take me .... (ever hopeful.... :blink: )

whats the difference between avi and cd/dvd?

Sharon, glad you made it back to the Forum, and also glad to hear that the show for your sister-in-law went over so well. Also, happy to hear you found my tutorial - hope you find it helps get you over the steep part of the learning curve! Now to your questions:

Now down to the PTE in hand - I am a TOTAL BEGINNER - I dont know what to do - I dont know what the acronyns mean - but what I appreciate is the 100% commitment you have given me - be it that you don't all agree with each other. I am going to spend today going through the links and start downloading the program -

Q1. Do I download PTE for $24 or $30?

The $24 price is for amateur use - $30 for professionals such as wedding photographers, and others selling cd's and dvd's based on PTE. If in doubt, go with $30 - the difference is such a small amount it's not worth sweating over (Igor needs all the support he can get, and even $30 is peanuts.)

Maureen - what is this BETA and is this something that i have do download and learn together with PTE? Perhaps I could email you with regard to some help?

The "beta" is just a new version of the program (version 5), which has not been officially released yet, but is in a "trial" format for people to play around with and test out.

It would be absolutely fantastic to have a BEGINNERS section - but it is very easy for us "newbies" to have everything done for us - I must admit I would love someone to sit me down and say you do this, you do that and take the effort out of it - but we wouldnt learn half as much that way - the culture of it all being laid out in front of us and making it easy is one that didnt exist when we were kids - we got off our "bums" and worked at things learning as we went. So what is different today - I will ask as I go along and hopefully you wont think that i am a nuisance. One step at a time eh???

No problem - that's what the Forum is for. But, you are right, it is much easier to sit down with someone and have them show you the basics of the program. I have done this many times with people - some of them not newcomers to computers and slideshow programs. At least you have a head-start, having been introduced to a similar program.

One day soon - I will post my first show - and look forward to it with much pride and anticipation - because it will be all of you (and some input from me) that would have help me get that far.

We all look forward to seeing your first show in PTE! :)

"avi" refers to a type of video file often produced by a video camera, as well as video-production programs. It can be produced by PTE and then opened by a video program such as "Nero" or Adobe "Premiere Elements" for editing or burning a dvd.

"cd/dvd" is the option to choose if you are burning a "vcd", "svcd", or "dvd". I wouldn't worry about getting into dvd or vcd or avi production until you are more familiar with the rest of the program. As you can tell by the fact that there is a whole section in the Forum dedicated to this, video is a complete study in itself. But if you are willing to learn, there are a lot of links mentioned in various posts to this section of the Forum. All the best! :)

Thanks Al

I have noted what you said and have just purchased the $30 license - dont know what I was hesitating for really - not as if it was a fortune in the first place.

I am going to try and put a small show together today and then ask if someone will help me upload to the site - not sure about that part of it yet - but one step at a time....

Maureen

Wold it be possible to ask you to extend the invitation to Leonard but to me - I have looked on the internet and cannot see any clubs down here in Sussex.Perhaps I am not looking in the right places but have put AV clubs + Sussex on google and nothing comes up - Funny thing though - if I extend it to 30 miles i could go to one in france..... (I live on the cliffs in Sussex - next step English Channel.....) If you cannot help then perhaps I could email you once in a while.

Thanks for your help this morning

have a good afternoon Al - speak to you in a couple of hours....

Sharon

Thanks Ken & KSF - i appreciate the comments - I have just watched the Al Robinson tutorial - and it was terrific - i have managed to get 10 photos onto a demo slide show - ok - not rocket science i know but it is a start.

I am going to have a play this afternoon. Any offers on the license ... which do I choose ... at present not selling but who knows where this is going to take me .... (ever hopeful.... :blink: )

Hi Sharon,

First let me explain a couple of the things which are a bit obscure. When you purchase the release version 4.48 of PicturesToExe (regardless of which license), you are entitled to a free upgrade to version 5 when it is released. Version 5 will come in two "flavors." The standard version does not have an internal DVD burning engine but does have every other feature of the "deluxe" version. The delux version will cost all of us who presently own version 4.48 an additional $20.

As far as which version to purchase, you can always "upgrade" to the business version later, but the cost difference is so insignificant, personally I would just buy the business version.

The "beta" is presently very far along and the soon to be released beta 9 will have the majority of the features of version 5 release. Unlike Photodex, Wnsoft releases the beta versions for all their registered users to try and use. Since you have been using Proshow you are already familiar with the pan, zoom, rotate features. These are but a few of the features which version 5 will have which are not possible with the present release version 4.48.

Some of us have suggested that you learn version 4.48 before starting with version 5 beta while others have suggested that you jump right in and learn version 5. The reason those of us who have suggested you jump right in and begin learning version 5 with the beta is that we know Proshow (several of us use both products) and what you are used to and the beta 5 can do the pan, zoom, rotate effects very similar to what you are already used to doing.

Once you understand keypoints (key frames in Proshow language), you will be able to make PTE jump through hoops and even do things which are impossible to do with Proshow Gold or Proshow Producer. It's not that difficult to learn - it just takes a bit of practice, reading of tutorials and time. You will find that the slideshows you create with version 5 beta run smoother and have significantly better image quality than what you can achieve with Proshow Gold or Proshow Producer.

In answer to your question about AVI versus DVD. In order to make a DVD which people can play on a television, it's necessary to convert a slideshow to a "movie" format. In Proshow Gold, this was always done by creating an MPEG file (this is one of several movie formats). With Producer you had the choice of creating an AVI (another movie format) file. Proshow Gold or Producer then renders these movie formats to DVD and burned the show on a DVD disk.

PTE beta 5 allows you to do likewise. An AVI format is created from your slideshow then burned to a DVD with the program or you can simply create an executable file (just as with Photodex products) which can be played on any Windows based PC. The executable format is of significantly higher image quality than the ones made with Proshow Gold or Producer because PTE shows are rendered at the resolution of the files used (your original images) to make the slideshow. Gold and Producer have always used software rendering which, in essence, means that the orientation and intent has been to ultimately make a DVD rather than an executable. So the files are rendered at or near DVD resolution (low resolution compared to the original images). When Producer or Gold is asked to make an executable file, these low resolution renderings are then "interpolated" (pixels added) to the desired screen display size. This procedure makes the images soft and of less visual quality than those using "hardware" rendering as is the case with PicturesToExe.

Photodex stated that they would have hardware rendering in version 3 of Proshow Gold and Proshow Producer. Since that time there has been absolute "silence" about hardware rendering from the company. There has been much speculation on the Proshow Enthusiasts forum about this, and the only conclusions most of us have been able to draw is that for whatever reason they did nor or could not implement hardware rendering. No one has seen higher quality executables matching those from PicturesToExe coming from the latest versions of Gold or Producer so the only logical conclusions we can draw is that hardware rendering has not happened.

As many of us are photographers and some of us are professional photographers, image quality is extremely important. For slideshows delivered on DVD, there is ultimately little or no difference in quality between a properly built slideshow with hardware or software rendering. Each is ultimately downgraded to DVD quality. On the other hand for executable slideshows the differences are quite noticeable and this is why most of us prefer PicturesToExe for that purpose.

The power available to the user with PicturesToExe beta 5 is incredible. You will find as time goes on that things which are truly difficult to do with Gold are simple to do with PTE (PicturesToExe). You have unlimited layers, the ability to alter opacity from zero to 100% within a single layer and the ability to use very sophisticated "parent/child" relationships which allow such things as the fantastic Photo Album such as Jean-Pierre (JPD) has shown. You can also create bezier type curves, eliptical paths of objects and many things which just can't be done with Gold or Producer. This is truly a fantastic product as you will come to eventually realize, and the cost is so low that it's almost unbelievable.

Best regards,

Lin

Sharon

In my earlier posting I suggested "Try this site http://cameraclubs.photopro.co.uk and key in your postcode." Also I obliquely offered to give some practical tuition, if you were prepared to travel up to Sutton but it looks as though you may be making good progress already. Good luck.

Ron [uK]

Sharon

In my earlier posting I suggested "Try this site http://cameraclubs.photopro.co.uk and key in your postcode." Also I obliquely offered to give some practical tuition, if you were prepared to travel up to Sutton but it looks as though you may be making good progress already. Good luck.

Ron [uK]

Sorry Ron - such a lot to take in today - yes - I would like to take up your offer and travel to Sutton. i will try and sort something out with you within the next couple of weeks - it would be great to have hands on help -

maybe you could help me today - i have downloaded and purchased (as discussed in previous reply the $30 licence) and have opened and printed a "Getting Started with Pictures to Exe - revised for version 4.48" tutorial offered to Leonard by Maureen - this has helped enormously, I have opened a project and saved about 50 photos to a file and opened a piece of music - I have done exactly what it says in the tutorial - but the photos do not move - they are static and I cannot seem to find panning or zoom - Ok I know you are going to say be careful of too much movement (travel sickness springs to mind) but does PTE have this facility. I am sure that some of the other shows watched today are zooming and panning. what am I doing wrong. The show is just static at the moment - boring springs to mind..... :( please could you help..!

thanks

sharon

Hi Sharon,

If you read my response to you above, you will find that you need the Beta 5 version to have pan, zoom, rotate....

Best regards,

Lin

"Some of us have suggested that you learn version 4.48 before starting with version 5 beta while others have suggested that you jump right in and learn version 5. The reason those of us who have suggested you jump right in and begin learning version 5 with the beta is that we know Proshow (several of us use both products) and what you are used to and the beta 5 can do the pan, zoom, rotate effects very similar to what you are already used to doing."

Sorry Ron - such a lot to take in today - yes - I would like to take up your offer and travel to Sutton. i will try and sort something out with you within the next couple of weeks - it would be great to have hands on help -

maybe you could help me today - i have downloaded and purchased (as discussed in previous reply the $30 licence) and have opened and printed a "Getting Started with Pictures to Exe - revised for version 4.48" tutorial offered to Leonard by Maureen - this has helped enormously, I have opened a project and saved about 50 photos to a file and opened a piece of music - I have done exactly what it says in the tutorial - but the photos do not move - they are static and I cannot seem to find panning or zoom - Ok I know you are going to say be careful of too much movement (travel sickness springs to mind) but does PTE have this facility. I am sure that some of the other shows watched today are zooming and panning. what am I doing wrong. The show is just static at the moment - boring springs to mind..... :( please could you help..!

thanks

sharon

Leonard,

I tried to understand your viewpoint when I read a recent post of yours. However it does now seem that you are hell bent on taking a very negative view and we can do without that on this forum. The 'help' that you offered to this new member is not what she wanted to hear so please try to be a little more accomodating after all, if you don't like this forum, you have a choice you know.

Ron West

Hi Lin

Sorry - it takes a bit of time for everything to sink in - I reckon the old grey cells are breaking down more quickly these days....

I have downloaded Beta 5 - and have spoken to Carol and Barry Beckham and had a long talk with them and they have put me straight and explained what it all means ... i now understand that Beta 5 is an extra program which is a "tester" for the PTE5 which is due to be released in March. The Beta part I understand allows PTE to pan and zoom etc.

I now understand that PTE is almost the end piece to the photo's - in other words you do all your editing in Photoshop (or other program) and then when all the photos are ready - PTE is a program to show them. This is what I couldn't understand this morning, I kept looking at it as if it was PSG or PSP where basically everything is done from the one program...

If I am wrong on the conclusion above perhaps you will let me know. I have really appreciated all your help and patience. But finally the penny will drop and I will be able to go to base 1 instead of the underground tunnel that i have been in all day....

Thanks for your help

Sharon

Hi Lin

Sorry - it takes a bit of time for everything to sink in - I reckon the old grey cells are breaking down more quickly these days....

LOL - we all have that issue don't we?

I have downloaded Beta 5 - and have spoken to Carol and Barry Beckham and had a long talk with them and they have put me straight and explained what it all means ... i now understand that Beta 5 is an extra program which is a "tester" for the PTE5 which is due to be released in March. The Beta part I understand allows PTE to pan and zoom etc.

Yes pan, zoom and rotate along with myriad other new features which are too numerous to detail here such as layers, unlimited opacity within a single layer, parent/child relationships, DVD authoring, etc.

I now understand that PTE is almost the end piece to the photo's - in other words you do all your editing in Photoshop (or other program) and then when all the photos are ready - PTE is a program to show them. This is what I couldn't understand this morning, I kept looking at it as if it was PSG or PSP where basically everything is done from the one program...

Yes, rather than try to be everything in a single program (jack of all trades, master of none), PTE specializes in what a slideshow program should be designed to do - create the superior slideshow. There is no provisions for doing adjustments to color, contrast, hue, saturation, etc., things which are best done with a dedicated program like Photoshop but the concentration is on manipulating your image to provide the ultimate quality presentation.

If I am wrong on the conclusion above perhaps you will let me know. I have really appreciated all your help and patience. But finally the penny will drop and I will be able to go to base 1 instead of the underground tunnel that i have been in all day....

Absolutely. Once you create your first slideshow in PTE you will be hooked with the tremendous power at your fingertips. The learning curve for the fantastic capabilities is similar to Photoshop. Even when you have been using the product for years you will still be finding new and innovative ways to use the features to improve and augument your presentations. The nice thing is that you have help at your fingertips from a huge cadre of users, some of whom have already produced masterful presentations even with the present beta version of PTE.

Best regards and welcome aboard!

Lin

Thanks for your help

Sharon

Lin

YIPPEE - the penny has finally dropped then ... Gosh it took a time - but once I have my head straight then I can go forward...

In the words of the song - "I feel happy oh so happy" :D

Onwards and Upwards - promise....

Sharon

Leonard,

You said:

May I make a suggestion. Would it not help beginners like Sharon if the Forum included a Heading named, say, Getting Started? This could include a number of links to sites on which may be found relevant material to assist the beginner. Food for thought. It might make life a little less stressful for some members.

I don't agree with a lot of what you say but this particular suggestion bears some merit. I for one would support the idea of a 'getting started' section and would willingly contribute some pdf style tutorials to help the newcomer to PTE.

Ron West

Hi Sharon

Have had Internet problems today so couldn't reply earlier.

By all means contact me and I'll try to help you. :D

Talk to you soon.

BW Maureen