WnSoft Forums

Successful Web Embed Test (I think)

Lin Evans

I just did a really elementary test to see if I could embed the 400x300 Flash demo of the Panos Snow Cube on my site.

It's really elementary so if anyone could test it try the link below. I "think" it will play at the 400x300 resolution as it should assuming you have a Flash 8 or Flash 9 player installed on your system.

http://www.lin-evans.net/swftest/index.html

Thanks,

Lin

I don't know what I am looking for but the link worked on my system and the snow fell within the dome. Best wishes,

Ron [uK]

Firefox browser opens with no visible delay. Immediately in action at proper pixel dimensions. Very clear. Was that Al's code to imbed? I mean is that all that is necessary to imbed the .swf?

Hi,

No, just used my SiteSpinner software to embed the Flash.SWF in a simple web page. There is no visible "player" so no start, stop, etc. The software just creates the code to embed what they call "foreign objects" which includes Flash. I had never tried to imbed an SWF Flash file before. Usually I use Flash.FLV which my software (On2 Technologies Flix Pro) furnishes. For normal shows I don't use SWF because it's limited to an absolute maximum of 16000 frames and will not reliably sync sound over 2 minutes. At 30 frames per second that's a bit under 9 minutes for a slideshow. Flash FLV has no length limitation and will keep sound sync indefinitely and also has preload (will spool out a percentage of file before play begins) and progressive download which emulates server side streaming. Instead of keeping the files on the server, progressive actually downloads the file to the client (your computer) in a temp file which gets eventually erased. The file is actually streamed from the temp file but FLV gives most of the advantages of server side streaming without all the associated headaches and costs.

I'm glad to hear that this does indeed constrain the dimensions and seems to work well. I just changed the file so it will "loop" indefinitely which is what I think Panos wants. This one should work for him. It can reside on the site in real time just like an animated gif and just keep snowing - LOL.

Best regards,

Lin

I don't know what I am looking for but the link worked on my system and the snow fell within the dome. Best wishes,

Ron [uK]

Thanks Ron - as long as it was a 400x300 pixel dimension, everything is working correctly. So it doesn't try to play at full screen like a simply link to the swf file itself. That's great!

Best regards,

Lin

I just did a really elementary test to see if I could embed the 400x300 Flash demo of the Panos Snow Cube on my site.

It's really elementary so if anyone could test it try the link below. I "think" it will play at the 400x300 resolution as it should assuming you have a Flash 8 or Flash 9 player installed on your system.

http://www.lin-evans.net/swftest/index.html

Thanks,

Lin

Hello Lin,

I have Flash 9 player installed. The link opened immediately. Resolution 400 x 300 on screen.

Sharp image and snow falling as it should.

I have an older computer: Pentium 4, 2.00 Ghz, 768 Mb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460 with 64 MB.

Best regards,

Cor

I'm glad to hear that this does indeed constrain the dimensions and seems to work well. I just changed the file so it will "loop" indefinitely which is what I think Panos wants. This one should work for him. It can reside on the site in real time just like an animated gif and just keep snowing - LOL.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, is the "loop" version of the .swf file available for us to play with also?

I get nothing but a black centre screen with a text heading on a grey background. I have Adobe Flash Player v 7,0,19,0 and right clicking gives a small panel saying allow Lin Evans access!

John

Hi John,

You need Flash 8 or 9 to view. You can download and install the Flash 9 player at:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Best regards,

Lin

I get nothing but a black centre screen with a text heading on a grey background. I have Adobe Flash Player v 7,0,19,0 and right clicking gives a small panel saying allow Lin Evans access!

John