WnSoft Forums

Problem with slide show looping

starfish

Hi,

I have created several slide shows with PTE, but I'm having a problem with a new one. Although I have (several times) selected and RE-selected "Repeat show until ESC is pressed," after running through the slides, the show shows the first slide again and then holds it on screen. ???

If it helps anyone to solve this, I am running Win 98 with 512 MB of memory. My computer is an AMD Athlon 1700+, with two very large hard drives.

The slides on the show are very large at anywhere from 500 to 1000k, .jpg. They have to be large because the show is designed to be projected in a theater, so each slide is 1280x1024 at 300 dpi. When the show runs, there is no hesitation, and all slides show promptly and well, but the show just won't loop.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sharon (starfish)

Hi Sharon,

I don't know.

But try this, - make the first 3 slides very small (small images like 5 kb) and try. If it works, try only one slide with small image. and if this work, just add a new first slide. You can try also one small as the last slide, who knows.

Another option, try your presentation witout music.

Let us know the results.

I agree with Boxig and Harold: try their suggestions. But let me say that 500-1000 KB are really too many even for 1280 x 1024 pictures. I've seen several excellent 1280 x 1024 Jpegs not larger than 350-450 KB, and I think an inferior Jpeg compression doesn't produce any perceivable improvement in picture quality.

You say your photos are set at 300x300 dpi: but this doesn't make sense in a picture viewed on screen (it doesn't matter if small or large). 10 x 10 or 1200 x 1200 dpi is exactly the same (see Copying photos from PtoExe).

A little question again: what are settings of your first slide? (size, duration, type and duration of transition - is there a transition at beginning?).

The last 2500 pics I took with Olympus (smart media Fuji) were all between 100-220 kb at 1280x960. When resized to 800x600 they became all between 30-100 kb only. For example, a slide of 69 resized pics results in a 5400 kb presentation (not including the MP3).

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. I rebuilt the slide show and, this time, it worked fine.

The size of my slides is due to my ignorance in not knowing (and still not knowing) the size necessary for projecting a slide show into a very large hall. The resolution, I AM sure of: 1280x1040, but I don't know yet whether or not a higher dpi is necessary or even desirable for projection. So, if anyone knows, please tell me. Until I find out, I will have to keep generating these big files, because I can always make them smaller in the future, but making them larger is impossible without ruining the images.

:-)

Sharon (starfish)

Guido,

Thanks. I knew that no more than 72 dpi could really be seen on a monitor. What I didn't know was whether the projector might make use of it somehow, but I suppose it can't, since it's taking pictures from the screen image.

Do you know whether or not a larger resolution than 1280x1024, would give a better (sharper) image with a projector?

Thanks again.

Sharon (starfish)