WnSoft Forums

DLP projectors

Hartmut Scherer

Since end of August 2006 I have been reading the posts in this forum. I am excited about PTE and the tools that it offers and of course I am looking forward to the final release of PTE 5.

Recently I started to surf the Internet for a projector. My main purpose will be to present slide shows produced by PTE v.5. A secondary purpose will be to watch DVDs. Can anyone tell me if the rainbow artifacts from a DLP projector will show up in a PTE v.5 slide show with PZR effects?

Hartmut,

Welcome to the Forum!

If you get a good-quality DLP projector, you shouldn't notice these artifacts at all. I have a Mitsubishi WXGA projector, and they are not an issue.

You will notice some "moire-pattern shimmer" on straight lines close together, but no more than on your computer monitor.

Hi Al,

I made a sequence with fog and mist effects where I had two semi-transparent PNG files moving at different speeds in slightly different directions to each other. At certain points along their path they produce a moire shimmer. So it's not just applicable to straight lines, it can apply to certain types of animated effects also.

Hartmut - If you have the chance to try the projectors first then it may be worth making a short test sequence to see which projector works the best. Another make to look out for is "Plus".

If it possible prefer LCD or LCOS projector.

Canon have a very good LCOS projector - the SX60.

At one time the DLP projectors had a much better contrast ratio than the LCD, but I think that is changing some. The Mitsubishi DLP projector is quoted to have a 4000:1 contrast ratio, whereas the norm for other types used to be around 1000:1. For me, this is more important than pixel resolution. Low contrast ratio is the biggest drawback of some of the less-expensive models. However, this specification can also be somewhat misleading as different vendors measure it differently, and it varies with the setting of the projector.