WnSoft Forums

Parent, Child, GrandChild

skipper

I have been searching through message and project demo's, knowing that something has been said/shown to explain the advantages/uses of these features. But I have not found the right ones yet or maybe I am just not understanding what is being presented.

I know I am missing a valuable capability since all mine are just parent photo's on each slide.

Could someone point me in the right direction(s).

Thanks,

Max

Hello Max,

The relationships you mention is a way of connecting different objects (in the Objects and Animation window) to each other. That is, different objects in the same slide.

Suppose you do some zooming on an object which has a child object, then both will be zoomed.

If they are not connected, only one object will be zoomed.

If you already have a main object and you decide to add another one, this new object will be linked to the first as a child object if the first object was selected (highlighted) when you opened the second one.

Hope this will help.

Ragnar

What I think I gleemed from this is that if you have a child and do something like move or zoom on the parent it will do that to the child also.

Interesting exe JPD. Is the project perhaps available to download and look at that way? Think I understand it so if not then no big deal. Will just play around with some of mine and see if I can work through a similiar concept.

Max

Hi Max,

Yes, but there is more. What is done to the parent affects the child, but the child can do things independent from the parent which have no effect on the parent.

For example, a couple weeks ago one of our posters (tomuk) wanted to see a helicopter fly across the screen but as viewed from the side with the rotor blade rotating in more or less a horizontal fashion.

If you take an image of a helicopter, separate the rotor blade from it and create the rotor blade as a PNG file then you have the ability to rotate the rotor blade. The problem is that rotation is as if you were looking from the side at a hampster or mouse running in a cage. So the rotation on the helicopter blade would be as if the helicopter were diving at the ground with the nose pointed straight down and the rotor blades rotating in the foreground.

The problem was how to make these rotor blades look like they were rotating in a horizontal fashion! So one of our forum members, Jean-Pierre used the parant child and rectangle together to achieve this end. The way it works is that the blurred rotor blades made into a png file became the grand child of a rectangle which had it's own child rectangle.

So the child rectangle was rotated inside the parent rectangle about 52 degrees then the parent rectangle was zoomed but only on one axis (XY axis) so that it distorted the child rectangle and made the circular rotor blade (which itself was a child of the child rectangle or a grandchild of the original rectangle) become alongated and flattened in appearance much as you would see with a helicopter flying in a horizontal path across your field of vision. Then the rotor blade was rotated within this child rectangle which forced it to maintain the distorted shape caused by the non-linear distortion of the parent rectangle. The end effect was that the blurred rotor blade behaved as desired and the effect was of a helicopter flying across the screen with its rotor looking very much like reality.

Now the above is probably difficult to follow but I created an AV Flash 8 tutorial to show exactly how this works. If you click on the link below and download the Flash 8 tutorial you will see very quickly how the "grandchild" is controled via the child and parent. Of course the rectangles are made invisible by setting their opacity to zero. Here's the link. Take a few minutes and I think all will become clear and you may see myriad ways to eventually use the power of the object child concept.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/rotorblade.zip

Unzip the above and play the Flash 8 swf file. If you don't have a Flash 8 player, download and install the current freeware version of Irfanview and also install the Irfanview plugins and you will be able to see the tutorial.

http://www.irfanview.com

Best regards,

Lin

What I think I gleemed from this is that if you have a child and do something like move or zoom on the parent it will do that to the child also.

Interesting exe JPD. Is the project perhaps available to download and look at that way? Think I understand it so if not then no big deal. Will just play around with some of mine and see if I can work through a similiar concept.

Max

Is the project perhaps available to download and look at that way?

This one isn't avalable, but there are many others on my page (it's write album) about V5 (link in red above) you can use to understand how it work.

Hello Lin,

I have downloaded and unzipped your rotorblade.zip file and also installed the IrfanView program with th e plug-ins as suggested in your message above. However, when I try to play the swf file with IrfanView I just get a black screen. Any ideas?

It "should" work fine, but click on this link and install the Flash 9 player (it only takes seconds) and try Irfanview again.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/do...=ShockwaveFlash

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin,

I have downloaded and unzipped your rotorblade.zip file and also installed the IrfanView program with th e plug-ins as suggested in your message above. However, when I try to play the swf file with IrfanView I just get a black screen. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all forum members,

this is my first post. I have been following your discussions for quite a while now. I thank you for your great ideas, the excellent input and support. I already learned a lot.

My question.

I have a picture with a person on it. I only want to zoom the persons head to full screen. the rest of the picture should stay as it is. When I put a frame over the persons head, put the whole picture inside the frame, the picture is not cropped by the outer limits of the frame, although it is bigger then the frame.

I know i can crop the persons head with irfan and put that inside the frame and zoom the frame to full screen.

How can i do that without the need of cropping the picture with an external application? Is there an option that makes those child parts invisible, that are outside the parents frame extent?

please see the attached sample project.

Thanks for your help.

best regards

Project1_Mar4_2007_22_35_06.zip

Johannes,

I'm afraid that you will have to use at least 2 images - one for the background, and one to zoom in on.

Also, when zooming, it is best to use an image which is already at the maximum zoomed size, then zoom out to start, and then start the zoom. This reduces the artifacts, noise, etc., which you see at the maximum zoomed position.