WnSoft Forums
Lin Evans

Bug Reports v5.00 beta

Hello Igor, hello to all,

We have version 5 beta 9 now. A lot of changes were made in the lay-out of the program since let's say version 4.

Working on the up-to-date version of the dutch translation I noticed following:

- In <Project Options> <Main> the "Customize Synchronization" button is not there anymore; but in the English.ini file (Main_Mess1) it is still mentioned.

- In <Customize Slide> <Main> <Background>: "Gradient Filling" and "Fit to screen Image": It is not possible to translate, stays always in English.

- In the menu "File", when you choose:

Create Slideshow

Create Slideshow As...

Create Slideshow and Run...

Create Screen Saver...

The title of the opened window is always: "Create EXE file from current project with a new name". It is not possible to correct the title, the program always read the same hint text.

- Some English words always show up also when you change them to an other language:

<Project Options> <Advanced> Mouse buttons (selection): None, Exit, Next slide, Prev.slide, Help, Go to first, Pause.

Although these English words are translated in the ini file (see [Reserved]) they are not used by the program.

The word "Cancel" stays on the button in every language: In the menu "File" - Templates - Create Template from this show...

When you click with the mouse in the "Image List" there is a menu named "Explorer". The word "Explorer" can not be translated eather.

In the menu "View" - Language: "Netherlands", must be changed to "Nederlands".

Maybe it is possible to correct these. It is possible that those minor bugs are confusing for new users of the program.

Because of the enormous development of the program it will be good to look at some of the messages and instructions in the ini-file and compare those with the functions of the program if they all still fit.

Greetings,

Cor

A reason for not automatically "synching" each show could be (in my opinion) that the show is now not synched on the music at all.

I explain:

What is happening now by "synching" is that you only spread the slides equally on the timeline and all depends of the total time of your music.

Cor,

To me, spreading the slides equally on the timeline is not true "synchronization". It's just like using a constant value for each slide in the show, and is not truly synched to the music at all.

In the past, synchronizing simply meant fixing the changing of the slides according to the music, thus eliminating the variation in timing on different computers.

Now, in version 5, the timing for both "sync" mode and "non-sync" mode is fixed, using the same methodology, so that it doesn't vary like it used to from computer to computer. This is demonstrated by the fact that the timeline is now visible and useable in both "sync" mode and "non-sync" mode.

So, for me, there is no reason to have both modes, "sync" and "non-sync". Maybe we call them something else, but we now have the option to set the time manually by entering values in "Project Ops" and "Customize slide", or by moving them around on the timeline in "sync" mode. Either way, we are "synching" the slides to a specific timing pattern. We can move the transitions so that they correspond to beats in the music, or we can vary the timing by changing values in "Customize slide".

It is true that we have an option on the timeline to automatically spread the slides evenly over the duration of the music, but that is not true "synchronization". It is merely a convenience to have the show end at the end of the music. However, even in the present "sync" mode, it is not necessary to spread the slides evenly, any more than it is in "non-sync" mode.

I cannot find the 'Templates' folder in windows explorer any more!

The templates option is still here in version 5(9) but when I use it to 'create a template from this show' I cannot find it in the 'Program Files' folder of PTE. Where is it going now please??

Ron West

SHOULD BE HERE

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PicturesToExe

KEN

Nope! It 'aint there Ken.

It was always by default, in Version 4.48 in C:\program files\picturesToExe\Templates

Al,

In v5.00 the only difference between synchronized and not synchronized modes - is behaviour of music when you rewind slides.

1) In synchronized, music linked with particular slides. And as you watch DVD movie music will be rewinded if you go to previous slide.

2) Not synchronized mode: music plays independently from slides and music will not rewind if you go to previous slide. Also personal music works only in not synchronized mode. If you skip a slide where personal music playlist assigned, this personal music will not be played.

I think both modes can be used in particular slide shows.

OK, I'll rework icon for Color control.

Ron,

Microsoft prohibits to store user files in Program Files folder. So we moved it to Application Data. But you can assign another folder. And next version of PicturesToExe will remember this folder.

Cor,

1) I just removed Main_Mess1 string.

2)

In <Customize Slide> <Main> <Background>: "Gradient Filling" and "Fit to screen Image": It is not possible to translate, stays always in English.
I didn't find these options in this window. All other texts are translated.

3)

In the menu "View" - Language: "Netherlands", must be changed to "Nederlands.

Fixed.

4)

When you click with the mouse in the "Image List" there is a menu named "Explorer". The word "Explorer" can not be translated eather.

OK, in the next version.

5)

The word "Cancel" stays on the button in every language: In the menu "File" - Templates - Create Template from this show...

I'll fix it.

6)

- Some English words always show up also when you change them to an other language:

<Project Options> <Advanced> Mouse buttons (selection): None, Exit, Next slide, Prev.slide, Help, Go to first, Pause.

Although these English words are translated in the ini file (see [Reserved]) they are not used by the program.

I'll fix it in beta 10. Shame for PTE

7)

- In the menu "File", when you choose:

Create Slideshow

Create Slideshow As...

Create Slideshow and Run...

Create Screen Saver...

The title of the opened window is always: "Create EXE file from current project with a new name". It is not possible to correct the title, the program always read the same hint text.

OK.

Thank you!

Nope! It 'aint there Ken.

It was always by default, in Version 4.48 in C:\program files\picturesToExe\Templates

Hello Ron,

As Ken said the path : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PicturesToExe

is there but it is not the location where your templates are stocked by default.

In "C:\Documents and Settings" you have also "Default User", "Network Service" and maybe also some other folders at the same level.

I have a folder, also on that same level, that I renamed as "Cor" before it was "User Profile". It is a folder were all your personal documents, music, video, transactions, internet cookies, or whatever data are placed as a reference in different folders.

Maybe you have also renamed that folder as examp. "Ronniebootwest" or "Ronniewest" or the folder "User Profile" is still there.

So the path on my computer is: C:\Documents and Settings\Cor\Local Settings\Application Data\PicturesToExe\Templates (and it is here that the templates are stocked by default).

So look in a folder at the same level as "All Users" but click untill you see the "Local Settings" folder and then "Application Data" and so on.

Hope this will help.

To Igor and Al,

Thank you for your answers.

Cor

Al,

In v5.00 the only difference between synchronized and not synchronized modes - is behaviour of music when you rewind slides.

1) In synchronized, music linked with particular slides. And as you watch DVD movie music will be rewinded if you go to previous slide.

2) Not synchronized mode: music plays independently from slides and music will not rewind if you go to previous slide. Also personal music works only in not synchronized mode.

Igor,

I often use one or more "background music" files, and for some slides I also use individual sound files for sound effects, comments etc. If I use these slide specific sound files, I can not use synchronized mode. And as a result, I can not rewind slides together with the sound. :(

It would be very helpful if that could be possible to do. Maybe there could be some improvement in this function ?

Thanks for your great program :) .

Ragnar

RONNIE

if you were on msn would talk you to it

see screen shot

when you click manage templates another box opens up and it will show where it will be saved

ken

post-16-1176932572_thumb.jpg

Not major, but ...

When attempting to do a "Save As" of a project over top of an existing project, the following error message is displayed:

"Can't delete old project file before saving c:\graphics\picturestoexe5\templates\hhoofers2007 (c:\worlds\picpack unit1.pas, line 3322)"

the c:\graphics\etc. ... is the directory where my original file was saved. I have no idea what the "c:worlds\etc is but assume it has something to do with debugging.

The file did however save correctly over top of the old project file.

I hope this is the correct area to post errors I find in PTE V5-beta v9.

When I load a AV show into v9 that I had created in PTE V5-beta v5, open the timeline and click on the waveform button I get a deformed waveform displayed -see the attached screenshot-. This is happening with several different AVs from v5.

I have reinstalled PTE v9 several times with no change.

The waveform sound plays correctly, (it's a .WAV file), in all areas of PTE where preview or play is allowed and in a .EXE file created.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? I haven't seen this in any other versions of PTE. :(

post-3194-1176951773_thumb.jpg

I hope this is the correct area to post errors I find in PTE V5-beta v9.

When I load a AV show into v9 that I had created in PTE V5-beta v5, open the timeline and click on the waveform button I get a deformed waveform displayed -see the attached screenshot-. This is happening with several different AVs from v5.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? I haven't seen this in any other versions of PTE. :(

Hi John,

There is a bug in Beta 9 waveform and Igor as been informed about it and it is going to be fixed in Beta 10.

All the best Ray

Hi John,

There is a bug in Beta 9 waveform and Igor as been informed about it and it is going to be fixed in Beta 10.

All the best Ray

Thanks Ray.

I have checked a few things and it appears to be intermittent. I loaded 2 .WAV files and one was OK and one not, as per the screenshot.

This info may be of use for Igor.

post-3194-1176957820_thumb.jpg

V9 is great many more functions working and some nice new ones, well done all involved.

This maybe another bug.

I have been trying to get the navigation bar to work and after trying many different settings it appears not to be operational.

It was my understanding that it has be implemented in v9, is this correct?

G'day Al and Igor,

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but can anyone give me a reason for not automatically "synching" each show? I would guess that most people who add music background would expect the slides to track the music in a reasonably synched manner. Another way to treat this would be to make "synchronized" the default parameter, and provide a button for "unsynching" in case someone didn't want their show treated as "synched" for some reason.

I'd like to add my 2cents worth and agree with Al that "synchronised" be the default and a "unsynching" button be provided, as suggested above.

I think both modes can be used in particular slide shows.

Agreed Igor but with "synchronised" as the default please. As I think it was in V5 Beta5. There I never ticked the ""synchronise slideshow to music" but always had the music start at the correct position when I previewed the slideshow from any slide in the show. :)

John,

There is also a timing problem when using more than one music file, and Igor is attempting to solve it - maybe this is associated with it somehow.

There I never ticked the ""synchronise slideshow to music" but always had the music start at the correct position when I previewed the slideshow from any slide in the show. :)

I agree with John. In all the previous revisions thru Beta 8u, I could click the icon in the right margin and the slide & music would start at that point but now in Beta 9 the slides & music start at the very beginning...Harvey

JPEG EXIF Comments Problems

Thank you for making progress restoring previous functions. The Text Comment function is very nice and a big improvement over the previous 4.x implementation.

The JPEG EXIF Comments option does not work. It is suppose to pull the text from the comment field in the EXIF part of the JPEG file, but nothing shows up.

I used Exifer 2.1.5 (build 263) to place the text into the JPEG files. Are there other programs for doing this? The most popular image program, IrfanView, does not allow editing the EXIF fields. It does allow adding JPEG comments as well as IPTC Captions. It would be nice if other options were added for pulling comments from the JPEG files, but EXIF is fine for now if it worked.

On a related note, when the JPEG EXIF Description option is used, P2E has these problems

1. cuts off last letter in all descriptions

2. does not always work - some JPEG descriptions are blank in P2E even though there is text in the JPEG file

Igor, you had said there was now a way that additional keyponts added to a text comment (for example, to make the comment fade in or out) could be set for all text comments in all slides. How is this done? I tried pushing both Set for Existing Slides buttons under the Project Options dialog box, but it did not copy the additional keypoints to other slide's Text Comment objects.

Steve Newcomb

Tucson, AZ USA

Steve, I'm sorry, but you forgot send me that JPEG image file I've asked you. Without it we couldn't reproduce and fix this bug.

Thanks I'll try to find Exifer 2.1.5 program but it will better to have real file which will illustrate these problems in PTE.

I think some comments invisible because EXIF contains of a lot of fields and extensions. We use main fields - Comment and Description.

Igor, you had said there was now a way that additional keyponts added to a text comment (for example, to make the comment fade in or out) could be set for all text comments in all slides. How is this done? I tried pushing both Set for Existing Slides buttons under the Project Options dialog box, but it did not copy the additional keypoints to other slide's Text Comment objects.

Steve, you asked me make possible that "Set comments on all slides - current one" (Main menu | Slide) copies current text comment with all animation and keypoints to all other slides. And it works now in beta 9.

No, that's a bug because you can't set negative rotation either or at least you don't see the negative rotation with the slider. I would assume that the slider should "jump" to the right side when a negative is set manually. I'm sure this limit of 360 degrees was not intended because it would negate a huge number of great effects.

It's very strange, because i haven't this limitation on my computer with beta 9, I can always make rotation more than 360 degrees, it's very strange, no?

Why?

You can visually make any angle of rotation, but edit control locked to range from -360 to 360. We'll fix this bug in nearest beta 9A (maybe already tomorrow).

JPEG EXIF Comments Problems

Thank you for making progress restoring previous functions. The Text Comment function is very nice and a big improvement over the previous 4.x implementation.

The JPEG EXIF Comments option does not work. It is suppose to pull the text from the comment field in the EXIF part of the JPEG file, but nothing shows up.

I used Exifer 2.1.5 (build 263) to place the text into the JPEG files. Are there other programs for doing this?

Steve,

The most powerful I've found is the freeware PixVue - download here:

http://www.addict3d.org/downloads/3256/download.html

Lin

The most popular image program, IrfanView, does not allow editing the EXIF fields. It does allow adding JPEG comments as well as IPTC Captions. It would be nice if other options were added for pulling comments from the JPEG files, but EXIF is fine for now if it worked.

On a related note, when the JPEG EXIF Description option is used, P2E has these problems

2. does not always work - some JPEG descriptions are blank in P2E even though there is text in the JPEG file

Steve Newcomb

Tucson, AZ USA

I tried to use a WAV file with a slide show in progress but PTE said it had zero length! I converted it in Audition to mp3PRO and it worked fine.

I thought from the release notes that WAV files were OK. Have I missed something or is this a bug?

Peter

Peter,

- Could you play this WAV file in previous versions?

- Please can I download it to solve this problem?

PicturesToExe doesn't support mp3Pro. Please use usual MP3.