WnSoft Forums

Members with Windows XP

boxig

Hi all,

Since it can be that some of my utilities don't work with all WIN, I need your help, so members and me will know of problems if exist.

I will greatly appreciate if members with Windows XP will try to use my "TempCD" utility (especially) and also other from my utilities and let me know it they have problems.

Also it will be great if members using my utilities will let us know which utility works ok on which win.

Thanks

Granot

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried many of your utilities. Some worked. Some didn't. However, I just found out your message today asking which one works or not. And I am not ready to tell you now cause I worked with them on different timesa and days. Yesterday I downloaded some and tested on my pc's in my store (some 10 miles away) and I could remember which they are and they didn't work on my XP 3.06ghz. I couldn't remember which. But I'll check them tomorrow. Maybe it's not in your program. Maybe in this pc I am using. Someone told me this pc was attacked by a virus. I don't know. Do you have a way to check if the message you are reading right now is infected. This is not mine by the way. Sorry if it has. If it has kindly forgive me and please run your antivirus and destroy it and please advice me to stop using this pc if you find this pc is spreading a virus. Thank you.

mannybr2003

I didn't quite understand all the virus problem. I know XP has a diffferent system of reading files (sonething concerning the extentions) and this may cause, maybe, to some of my utilities not to work properly on XP, which can result it an error message. One of those error message is "Can't copy file" of "File not found", but nothing to do with virus. If your computer has a virus, then I don't know what it can do to any program you have on your system. Why not run "Norton" ? I use it and it stops every suspesious file, which are usually coming by email and not from programs you download.

I'll be glad to hear from you which of my utilities works fine on your XP and which not.

Thanks

Granot

Granot, sorry for the delay on testing your TempCD on my new XP machine....I've been having a couple of teething troubles getting it set up and running correctly PLUS busy at work...hopefuly I'll be up and running this coming weekend and I can finally get to test it properly for you. It seems to be fine on my current Win98.

Regards and thanks again for all your efforts with these utilities,

Jim

Jim,

Thanks. When you check it see if files are deleted from C:\Temp. It seems there is a problem on XP only but I'm working on attached utility which will allow xp users to delete the files. I'll be waiting.

Thanks

Granot

Granot,

The first half of your utility works fine on my laptop's XT system. However, it does not erase the files in the "temp" folder.

Thanks Al,

Can you please check a small utility I made which is supposed to delete all exe files located on C:\Temp on XP ? You can download here:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/XPdeleteAllexe.zip

Just put 2-3 exe files in C:\Temp, run "XPdeleteAllexe.exe" which is inside the zip and click on the only button on the utility.

Thanks a lot

Granot

Granot,

I tried your app and it does delete the ".exe" files. It wiped out my "D" drive, too, though (no, no - just kidding!!!! B) )

However, I found in my Adjustor model that deleting a file in XP seems to have some dependency on whether it was opened previously in the model.

In VBA, there is a small built-in routine for checking for files in a folder. If one uses it in XP, then for some reason, the program assumes that the file is still in use, and refuses to delete it later in the program. In Win Me, this doesn't seem to be a problem.

So, even though your new mini-app works on its own, if used in conjunction with the rest of the application it may still refuse to delete the files.

I have looked everywhere for a way to "refresh" the directory, to indicate that the file is no longer in use, but haven't found any reference to such a procedure. So I had to work around it, and use another method to determine the pathname of a particular file before deleting it. I take the pathname from the PTE file, so it doesn't actually open any of the files involved.

AL,

Thanks a lot. I have no XP so I'm a bit (or more) ignorant. So you say my delete file works but there can be problems ? Files to delete are those who were just in use (by "MultiCD" utility) but no more. So the XP thinks that those files are still running ? This fits my firtst utility (from so many I tried) when I told it to check for instances, and my first assumption was that from some reason or other it get 1 instead of 0.

What you advise is to use it as a separate utility to run after "MultiCd" is closed and not to include it in "MultiCD" itself. I was thinking to do this since it is only for XP users so all other don't need it.

I hope I understood right your explanation. Now, same file you say work, don't work for other member. Here is what I got, as possible reason, from someone who knows better then me:

"I don't know too much about the winNT/w2k/winxp user's rights...simply if user is not logged as an administrator (or power user), he doesn't have access to some services, cannot install/uninstall programs and add or remove files, etc. Maybe this is the reason why the exe files cannot be deleted?"

Do you know something about this ?

Thanks

Granot

Granot,

You understood correctly - the delete app seems to work on its own, but not when part of a program which has already accessed the file or folder. As a separate utility it seems to be fine.

If it were only because of not being the administrator, then the small delete utility would not work either. However, I am logged on as administrator, so that is not the problem. ( XP does take on some of the characteristics of Win NT in its "administrator" / "server" functions, but not as rigorously as Win NT.)

Good luck! B)

AL,

Here is some more HOT STUFF:

- This script will work with all the files, but only on administrator account (or power user account with the sufficient admin rights).

- This script will work also on guest or limited user accounts, but only if the exe files were created within this guest account session. It will not delete the files, which were created within the different user session.

In short, if in C:\temp folder are some files created by another user than currently logged on, then this script will delete only the files created within the current user session.

I am glad to say I underatand nothing, but at least I understood you.

Is that means files deleted are only those you made on your XP and if they were made by another member you can't delete them ?

(It looks like I will stay with my win 98 for a long time)

Granot

Hi, Granot,

That's very interesting. XP does have the capability, as in Win NT, to log on as admin, or a user, or a guest, etc. But, if you do like I do, and only log on as admin, with no other users, there is never a problem creating and deleting files, except sometimes, as I mentioned, when I try to do it under program control. There has to be a way to set some options at the time of creating the files which would allow later deletion.

It's confusing trying to keep up with all these new operating systems. And I hear MS have another one in the works now, too. In the short term, it helps them sell more software, but at the same time, as more and more users become frustrated, more and more will start thinking about alternatives.

Granot...I finally got my XP laptop set up, have tested TEMP CD and sadly I have to report that though it operates just fine with the installation of the the .EXE into the Temp folder it doesn't then automaticaly delete it when I close down the slideshow...I'm the only user/administrator of this machine so the solutions mentioned in an earlier post wouldn't really apply. It's a pity because it is a pretty nifty idea and it would be a help when sending the slide shows to people with older comps and video cards etc. Let me know if you want me to try another version (??) of it..

Regards

JiminLA

Hi Jim,

Did you try this extra utility I made for XP:XPdeleteAllexe

Put 2-3 exe files in C:\Temp, run "XPdeleteAllexe.exe" which is inside the zip and click on the only button on the utility. This should delete all exe files in C:\Temp. Alrobin tried it successfully on his XP (see above in this topic). Before you do this I hope you don't keep any important exe on C:\Temp (you probably don't).

Thanks

Granot