WnSoft Forums

[Utility 4 PTE] PTE-5 Adjustor

alrobin

Henri,

As I mentioned in my return email, your pte file seems to work fine on my system - it must have something to do with the version of Excel - what version are you using? Others have successfully run the model in versions 97 through to 2003. I use 2000, myself, for developing the model. Will send you some screen-caps of my results with your file. Please try to run the model on a few other simple examples.

Al,

Thanks for your replies

I have downloaded the latest PTE_Adjustor_3....and it works perfectly. I thought I had this V3 already but maybe you corrected it.

Regards,

Henri

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have downloaded the latest PTE_Adjustor_3....and it works perfectly. I thought I had this V3 already but maybe you corrected it.

Hi, Henri,

That's great - glad the new version works for you.

It's a new version, but I kept the same number as it's a minor correction. You can distinguish between copies by the dates.

Hi Al,

I am running Excel 2000 under XP Home and it all seems to be ok. I must admit however that I am not too sure how often I will use it to actually adjust a sequence as opposed to adjusting it within PTE itself but it is nice to know that such a utility exists, so thanks for producing it.

I do have just one small suggestion to make - Could you move the Version / Adjustment details from the Notes sheet onto a separate worksheet? These details aren't really part of the operating instructions so don't need to clutter the end of the notes. Also, these details will then be really easy for people to find and quote when (if) they need to raise a query with you.

Just a thought...

I am running Excel 2000 under XP Home and it all seems to be ok. I must admit however that I am not too sure how often I will use it to actually adjust a sequence as opposed to adjusting it within PTE itself but it is nice to know that such a utility exists, so thanks for producing it.

Thanks for the feedback, Keith - good to know it works for one more person.

I do have just one small suggestion to make - Could you move the Version / Adjustment details from the Notes sheet onto a separate worksheet? These details aren't really part of the operating instructions so don't need to clutter the end of the notes. Also, these details will then be really easy for people to find and quote when (if) they need to raise a query with you.

Just a thought...

Not sure what you mean by "Adjustment details" - could you please be a little more explicit?

I just noticed that the previous version of PTE-5 Adjustor, version 3, was slightly corrupted (there are some extra buttons when the file is first opened).

For those who downloaded this version within the previous 36 hours, please do so again from this same address.

Also, please note that if you are using "buttons" as objects in O&A, there will be an extra "text" object as a child of the "button" object, that does not show up in O&A. However, changing the mode of this object does not seem to affect the way it displays. I will try to fix this slight anomaly in the next few days.

Version 4 of PTE-5 Adjustor is available HERE. It includes corrections to the feature for changing object mode (in the case where the model didn't distinguish between text objects and regular objects.)

Thanks Al for a very useful tool, not just for reprogramming a PTE AV, also I find it a useful education tool to see how things are done in PTE.

One small request, you have updated the ZIP file name with the new version, (PTE-5_Adjustor_4), but the program file is just called PTE-5_Adjustor.xls which doesn't indicate which version the program is.

In future could you name the program to indicate which version it is as well to eliminate any confusion please?

EDIT added---- Al I am having no problems running your PTE Adjustor on Office XP - Excel 2002.

Al

i renamed the excel to reflect that it was ver 4

when i tried to add the pte it gave the following error message -- see screenshot

so i extracted another copy from the zip and opened excel and added the pte fine

excel 2002 sp3

ken

post-16-1183194792_thumb.jpg

Thanks Al for a very useful tool, not just for reprogramming a PTE AV, also I find it a useful education tool to see how things are done in PTE.

One small request, you have updated the ZIP file name with the new version, (PTE-5_Adjustor_4), but the program file is just called PTE-5_Adjustor.xls which doesn't indicate which version the program is.

In future could you name the program to indicate which version it is as well to eliminate any confusion please?

EDIT added---- Al I am having no problems running your PTE Adjustor on Office XP - Excel 2002.

Hi, John,

Thanks for your kind comments. Glad to hear there are no problems in Excel 2002.

As for renaming the program, if I rename the program, then I would have to go through the entire program code and change the name, as it uses that name within itself to call various actions. As Ken discovered, it won't run if the name is changed, without also changing every occurrence of the name within the program (some 25 locations).

I recognize your problem, but it would cause even more grief if I renamed it each time there is a change. I do try to rename the "zip" file whenever there is a major change, and the vintage of the program is also shown in a text box at the top of the spreadsheet. To keep the different versions apart I also keep each one in a separate folder named as you suggest (similar to the way I organize PTE itself).

As for renaming the program, if I rename the program, then I would have to go through the entire program code and change the name, as it uses that name within itself to call various actions. As Ken discovered, it won't run if the name is changed, without also changing every occurrence of the name within the program (some 25 locations).

I recognize your problem, but it would cause even more grief if I renamed it each time there is a change.

Thanks Al, I understand and will live with it.

• 11 months later...

Hi Al

Thanks for a really useful tool.

Have you got plans to update it to run with PTE version 5.5? For some reason it loses the names of the slides when used with this version.

It is not the end of the world for me if not as I can still open and save with version 5.1 before applying your Adjuster on it.

Thanks

Mike

Have you got plans to update it to run with PTE version 5.5? For some reason it loses the names of the slides when used with this version.

It is not the end of the world for me if not as I can still open and save with version 5.1 before applying your Adjuster on it.

Thanks for the "heads-up", Mike. I will have a look at the Adjustor model and see how I can make it compatible with PTE 5.5.

In fact we didn't change format of .pte project file in v5.5

As I remember I've only deleted several fields which not presented in v5.xx anymore.

I think something must be slightly different because Tom's Random Slideshow Generator no longer works. If I create a simple slideshow and save it in 5.5, Tom's utility doesn't appear to recognize the utility and does not create the random effects. Yet if I open that same slideshow in 5.1 and re-save it, Tom's utility does recognize it and will save it out with the random effects.

I haven't taken the time to report it yet and haven't seen Tom on the forum for a while. I just assumed there was some difference between versions of PTE.

• 2 weeks later...

Al,

In browsing the forum I noticed that your PTE Adjuster had cropped up again with reference to using it with Version 5.5. One of the most useful tools in Adjuster was the ability to make a global change to the slide "fit", e.g. "fit to window" or "cover window". Using a Nikon D80 mt images are 3:2 and I change all slides from the default "fit" to "cover". Having downloaded Adjuster from the latest link I can find, this facility seems to have been removed. Is this correct, and if so, can you add it back in again?

Regards

Jeff

• 1 year later...

Hello Peter

I have got it to open in Excel but thats has far as I can get to go, I have spoken to Al and he tells me that there are a number of changes in Excel 2007 and he will not be upgrading the package, I can understand it.

Hello Peter

I have got it to open in Excel but thats has far as I can get to go, I have spoken to Al and he tells me that there are a number of changes in Excel 2007 and he will not be upgrading the package, I can understand it.

Sorry for ignoring your questions over the last year or so - I was getting involved in some other pursuits, and as Ken says, was not visiting the forum on a regular basis, and when I did, I must have missed your queries about the "Adjustor" model.

As I indicated to 'mightec', there have been some changes to the Visual Basic used currently by Microsoft in it's Office and Visual Studio products which I have not had a chance to apply to Adjustor, and as it involves a considerable amount of effort, I don't expect to have time to update the model to make it compatible with these changes - not only in VB, but also in PTE.

Also, my latest version of Excel is 2000, so it is difficult for me to test changes to the model in newer versions of Excel.

My apologies to those who relied on Adjustor in their AV work - maybe Igor could be persuaded to add a "debugging" or "summary" feature to the program sometime in the future??