WnSoft Forums

Movies with PicToExe

Kurt S

It's a little time consuming but very easy.

First I used TMPGEnc to create individual jpg's and separate the audio from a video file. Then just load them all into PTE. Turn off transition effects.

If you want to add audio, select the syncronize slideshow to music duration option. If you just want the video, select Display each slide for 33 milliseconds for 30 fps or 40 milliseconds for 25 fps.

Here's another one I made - ftp://209.162.200.253/uploads/quelle.exe

You can download TMPGEnc at http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

Hi,

You said you used TMPGen for the individual .jpgs. What does this mean? What exactly does this program do? I have been to the site, and can't figure it out. Does it do anything that a regular graphics program can't do? Or...did you make a video file first, and then disassemble it in TMPGen?

Thanks.

Sharon (Starfish)

Sorry, should have clarified a little. TMPGEnc does light video editing and has some other cool features. Launch TMPGEnc, and in the main window you will see an option to select a video source. Click the browse button next to it and select an AVI or MPG video file. Then go to the menu bar and go to File, Output to file, and select the Sequence BMP/PPM/TGA/JPG File option. It will bring up a window where you can select the directory for the individual pictures it will create. You can also select what type of picture files you want such as BMP, JPG, etc. Type in the file name and hit the Save button. You can use BMP files but JPG's will make a much smaller PTE presentation file.

Now go back to File, Output to file, and select Wave File and select where you want to put the wave file. Now you can stay with the wave file or use a program that will convert the wave to an MP3 format if you want to keep the final PTE presentation file smaller.

Now your ready to load the individual pictures and sound file into PTE.

"What are the benefits of making a movie in PicToExe from images extracted from an original movie?"

The three reasons I can think of are -

You or the people you send it to don't need any special video codecs or viewers to see them.

It's all nicely contained in one simple executable.

They said it couldn't be done.

You can do the same thing with animated .GIFs. Just load the .GIF into e.g. IrfanView; then select Options | Extract all frames. Convert all the resulting .BMPs to .JPGs, again using IrfanView (File | Batch Conversion/Rename). Then just make an animated slideshow. Rather neat.

In TMPGEnc, I used the jpg compression set at 50. What that actually translates into I have no idea.

There really is no best setting. I sacrificed quality for file size so they could be downloaded faster but If I were to build an actual video for viewing off a CD, I would have made the file with less compression and probably made the individual pictures larger as well.