WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.1 RC8

Igor

Steve,

As I remember this problem was in earlier betas of previous version 5.0 and no problem with final release of v5.0? Is this problem happened again with v5.1 Beta?

I tried with my JPEG files and I was not able reproduce it, sorry.

Please send me JPEG file which will illustrate this problem.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are looking for existing bugs to remove before your final release, the JPEG EXIF Description template clips or does not show the last character in a text string that is stored in the EXIF ImageDescription field of a JPEG image file.

Steve,

As I demonstrated in my last post in the "Exif" thread elsewhere in this section, the reason for the clipping is a missing control indicator at the end of the "description" field in certain software. For example, Exifer leaves off a separator between the description field and the name "Nikon" in my example, whereas Adobe puts it in, thereby allowing PTE to extract the description properly. The problem is not with PTE, but with the way this description field is recorded by Exifer, to use one example.

As I demonstrated in my last post in the "Exif" thread elsewhere in this section, the reason for the clipping is a missing control indicator at the end of the "description" field in certain software."

Why doesn't this cause the string to be clipped in other software? I don't know if Exifer complies with the EXIF standard or not. Or if Irfanview, or Adobe, etc does. I do know if I place a string into the image file using Exifer, it remains in the file as I have entered it and can be viewed in its entirety with Exifer, Irfanview, JAlbum and Photoshop CS2. All the software I have except P2E.

As I remember this problem was in earlier betas of previous version 5.0 and no problem with final release of v5.0?

Igor,

No, it has always been there and was in the final release of v5.0. I posted a message to the board about this after the final release but it was never addressed. To me it isn't that big of a deal because I don't think the EXIF ImageDescription field should be used for comments. Or rather the other field, EXIF UserComments, works better for this purpose. I think having them both there in P2E is confusing to some extent. Just my opinion.

Steve Newcomb

Tucson, AZ USA

Why doesn't this cause the string to be clipped in other software? I don't know if Exifer complies with the EXIF standard or not. Or if Irfanview, or Adobe, etc does. I do know if I place a string into the image file using Exifer, it remains in the file as I have entered it and can be viewed in its entirety with Exifer, Irfanview, JAlbum and Photoshop CS2. All the software I have except P2E.

I don't know if it complies or not either. But there is definitely something strange going on, when Adobe slips in a character or two where previously there was none, and all of a sudden everything is fine in PTE. Is PTE deficient in what it is programmed to recognize, or is Exifer doing something quite not following the latest EXIF spec??

Please send me JPEG file which will illustrate this problem.

Igor,

I attached a file, where the last character of the description field is truncated as Steve mentioned, to post #29 of the following thread:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....=7694&st=20

A copy of the same file, modified in Photoshop, where the last character does appear, is attached to post #32 of the same thread.

Igor,

PTE still clips the last character of "description" for images modified in Exifer.

Igor, did you post the wrong test version? This version seems to have the same time and date (10/12/2007 10:21 AM) as the last upgrade version of PTE 5.1

By the way, on my system this problem seems to exist only with descriptions added in Exifer. If I modify the image afterward in Photoshop or other programs which affect the EXIF data (e.g. "RoboGEO", a georeferencing program), the description is included in PTE in full.

However, and this shows how unpredictable various programs are, the "comment" field from RoboGEO is not picked up at all in PTE.

Attached are two more examples - the first one was modified in Adobe and description and comment added in Exifer, and the second one was edited by RoboGEO.

post-215-1197383196_thumb.jpg post-215-1197383219_thumb.jpg

Igor,

That version works fine with the "description". Thanks for taking the time to sort this out.

The only thing missing now is the "comment" file from the "RoboGEO" geo-referencing program. I think every software company producing image files must have their own method for recording these EXIF fields. Probably because each one is intent on getting their own header with their own name embedded somewhere in the EXIF portion of the file. It really is a "dog's breakfast".

Release-Candidate (December 13, 2007)

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/apr-deluxe_beta.zip (4 MB)

* Improved association of .pte project files with PicturesToExe. In some cases project couldn't be opened from Explorer in earlier versions of PicturesToExe.

I hope it will be final code for version 5.1 and if all is OK, we'll announce final release next Monday.