WnSoft Forums

A Day in Cimarron, New Mexico

Lin Evans

Hi Bernard,

Thanks!

Yes the size of the image presents a problem for older machines.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Superb photos, beautiful hawks

Despite my old machine (32MB of graphics memory) is OK but with difficulty ...

Monday in my company with a very powerful PC I will appreciate.

Thanks for sharing

Bernard

Thanks Judy,

They are indeed wild, free and beautiful creatures. I never get tired of photographing them and go to Cimarron a couple times or more each year. The word cimarron means "wild and unruly" and this characterizes well the history of this colorful part of the SW.

Best regards,

Lin

Breathtaking shots and colors. They look so wild and free and beautiful.

Makes me want to face the big yellow sun, spread my wings till they ache just a little, and launch out with the warm wind rushing past my face.

jk

Hi Neil,

Thanks! For the first series of hawks (all except the soaring hawk and the two perched on the metal "T" fence post) the camera was a Canon 40D with a Canon 70-200 F2.8 and a Kenko Pro 1.4x Teleconverter. For the Pronghorn antelope, the Waite Philips mansion and the three hawks previously mentioned (soaring - "T" post) the Sigma SD14 plus Sigma 80-400 F5.6 OS or Sigma 15-30 for the mansion. The moon-rise shot was with the Canon and aforementioned lens. The baby bucks play-fighting was with the Canon. The opening and closing shot was with the Sigma SD10 and Sigma 70-300 F4/F5.6.

Best regards,

Lin

Fantastic images. I particularly liked the one about to take off.

I would be interested to know what camera and lens were used?

Thanks

Neil

Your 40D did a fantastic job on several of the images. Eye popping images. I also liked the starkness of

the sound. Good work. As for the large size...I say, it is a good example of why people should upgrade.

Some images just demand better resolution.

Thanks for posting Lin.

Jeff Lunt

Beautiful photography, Lin! Mind telling us how large those images are? My system (with older ATI 9600 vid card and monitor set at 1680x1050) was able to handle them quite well. This beats HD.

Hi Al,

Thanks! Most are 3888 x 2592 (10 megapixel) and average about 2.9 megabyte jpg. One is close to 8 megabytes. Four are smaller at 4.7 megapixels.

Best regards,

Lin

Beautiful photography, Lin! Mind telling us how large those images are? My system (with older ATI 9600 vid card and monitor set at 1680x1050) was able to handle them quite well. This beats HD.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks! I like to keep most of them at original size to minimize the amount of storage and renaming so these were pretty large images in general which does strain some of the 64 meg systems. I make art shows for some of my art gallery clients who use extremely high resolution monitors (9 megapixel) and PTE plays 10 and 12 megapixel images in native size (downsampled slightly for the monitor) very well.

Best regards,

Lin

Your 40D did a fantastic job on several of the images. Eye popping images. I also liked the starkness of

the sound. Good work. As for the large size...I say, it is a good example of why people should upgrade.

Some images just demand better resolution.

Thanks for posting Lin.

Jeff Lunt

• 2 weeks later...

awesome pictures. i read some of your comments over at dpreview and so i thought i'd check out picturestoexe. your samples are great. i hope to learn a few things by reading and seeing some very good examples by people like you.

thanks.

If you like hawks .... Some views from Cimarron, NM - about 36 meg - good video card needed...

http://www.lin-evans.net/pte/cimarronnm.zip

Lin

• 1 month later...

Hi Lin,

I really enjoyed this one. The sound was most appropriate and made me think I was right there watching the hawks and wildlife. The first zoom in was the most impressive to me. The detail in the feathering and the hawks head was simply superb, as the show slowly zooms in I kept noticing more and more in the detail of the hawk. [indeed on a second run through, I was convinced I saw things I missed on the first run.] At that time I said to myself "that would work the other way too". And you then duly complied.

Depending on how much time you have on your hands, you might want to consider flipping the second image / fading in the head - so they are head to head/ then zooming out.

On the 3rd image I think you go too far in the extreme zoom. Details starts to get lost about half way up the wing and by the time you get in close to the head its looks a bit like pastel art. (Of course maybe that was your intention).

The mansion I found out of place, or simply didn't understand its relevance to the rest of the show. Maybe I am missing something obvious here.

I liked the moon image and I would have been tempted to have a slower transition fade into the next image, I think mid fade would create a good 3rd image from the two.

I found the fade to white and sudden end, unusual. I suppose I am used to fade to black and 'thank you for watching' or something.

A most impressive show that ran well on 1920x1200 laptop. I look forward to viewing more of your work, and I hope you accept my feedback as just my humble opinion.