WnSoft Forums

Experimental Slideshow

bjc

I have just completed an experimental slideshow, which I have had some issues with. There is a link to this slideshow at the bottom of this page.

I would appreciate some feedback/comments with regards to the functionality – concept – and content of the show.

The issues that I have experienced have related to;

A: the synchronisation of the audio track (a voice-over)

B: Pan & Zoom stutter.

With regards to the sound,,, I have now resolved this issue,,, initially I was using a ‘.wav’ file, recorded and saved (with MP3 compression) through Sound Forge,,, a program that I have always used for soundtrack creation. However, what I discovered was that synchronising the voice-over to the slides themselves was impossible (!!) as the ‘waveform’ in the Timeline did not match the sound that was coming out of the speakers - the waveform and the actual sound itself slid progressively out-of-synch the further through the show you went. Worst still, when the finished ‘.exe’ files were created, the sound-to-slide synchronisation differed again in timing from what was heard during preview. No matter what I did I just couldn’t get an accurate sound-to-slide synchronisation !? Believe me, I made dozens of adjustments and nothing would work.

The problem with the sound was eventually rectified by converting the original (uncompressed) audio track to a proper ‘.MP3’ file using Audacity. Having done that, the waveform, and what came out of the speakers, matched exactly, and the resultant ‘.exe’ also synchronised precisely with what was laid out on the timeline. (Lesson learnt)

As for the Pan-&-Zoom stutter. This appeared to develop, progressively, the more modifications I made to the show. I have tried re-creating the ‘.exe’ file a number of times (on each of two suitably capable computers) but it would seem that, unless I create the slideshow all over again from scratch, these erratic movements are here to stay. It will be interesting to hear if these animations ‘stutter’ on your computers as well – in particular, the panoramic image early on in the show !? Maybe my computers are not as capable as I thought they were (?). By the way, there are 17 slides in the show that use A&O functions.

As for the voice-over itself. It could be better. Unfortunately, there are a number of errors (pronunciations and comments) that I ought to go in and correct,,, but for the time being it-will-have-to-do,,, maybe !?

The zip file for this show is a 54MB download – unfortunately the MP3 audio file I used, created by Audacity, was 17.5MB, as opposed to the MP3-compressed .WAV file, that Sound Forge created, which was just 3.25MB.

I look forward to hearing whatever comments/observations you might have to offer.

Link to file download --- http://www.lsaps.org.uk/PTE/Inversnaid2007.zip

bjc

Well worth the download time. In fact, I'm saving it to refer to for examples of what's possible not only in beautiful photographs, but also presentation techniques. I liked the use of the map to provide orientation and you have a well suited voice and manner for narration. Regarding the "studder", I did notice some on the inital pans as well occasionally when moving on the map. But in neither case was it terribly distracting. Also, for some reason it didn't play like a normal PTE show. My computer background never went away; your show lay over the top. All in all, you have inspired me with what's possible.

Well done!

Dave

I have just completed an experimental slideshow, which I have had some issues with. There is a link to this slideshow at the bottom of this page.

I would appreciate some feedback/comments with regards to the functionality – concept – and content of the show.

With regards to the sound,,, I have now resolved this issue,,, initially I was using a ‘.wav’ file, recorded and saved (with MP3 compression) through Sound Forge,,, a program that I have always used for soundtrack creation. However, what I discovered was that synchronising the voice-over to the slides themselves was impossible (!!) as the ‘waveform’ in the Timeline did not match the sound that was coming out of the speakers - the waveform and the actual sound itself slid progressively out-of-synch the further through the show you went. Worst still, when the finished ‘.exe’ files were created, the sound-to-slide synchronisation differed again in timing from what was heard during preview. No matter what I did I just couldn’t get an accurate sound-to-slide synchronisation !? Believe me, I made dozens of adjustments and nothing would work.

The problem with the sound was eventually rectified by converting the original (uncompressed) audio track to a proper ‘.MP3’ file using Audacity. Having done that, the waveform, and what came out of the speakers, matched exactly, and the resultant ‘.exe’ also synchronised precisely with what was laid out on the timeline. (Lesson learnt)

As for the Pan-&-Zoom stutter. This appeared to develop, progressively, the more modifications I made to the show. I have tried re-creating the ‘.exe’ file a number of times (on each of two suitably capable computers) but it would seem that, unless I create the slideshow all over again from scratch, these erratic movements are here to stay. It will be interesting to hear if these animations ‘stutter’ on your computers as well – in particular, the panoramic image early on in the show !? Maybe my computers are not as capable as I thought they were (?). By the way, there are 17 slides in the show that use A&O functions.

As for the voice-over itself. It could be better. Unfortunately, there are a number of errors (pronunciations and comments) that I ought to go in and correct,,, but for the time being it-will-have-to-do,,, maybe !?

The zip file for this show is a 54MB download – unfortunately the MP3 audio file I used, created by Audacity, was 17.5MB, as opposed to the MP3-compressed .WAV file, that Sound Forge created, which was just 3.25MB.

I look forward to hearing whatever comments/observations you might have to offer.

bjc

Dave,

Thank you for your comments.

Re: " for some reason it didn't play like a normal PTE show " - I've just realised that (for reasons I won't go into right now) I created the show at 1024x768 in 'frameless' Windowed mode - that's the reason your background didn't disappear - you obviously have your monitor set to a higher resolution than that (?).

Thanks again for commenting - I appreciate it.

bjc

Very interesting slideshow in an artistic AND technical point of view !

Your narration is very nice and it's a real pleasure to listen to you.

It would be nice to hear music from time to time in the background but I guess it would need a lot of work to include it and to synchronise it.

I experimented the stutter although I have a quite powerfull graphic card.

My screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 and I would prefer if the slideshow would be in full window mode.

Some of your picture have a white frame. In my opinion, you should decrease the size of your picture to something like 90% in order this frame is not on the border of your screen or you should remove this frame if you want to keep the image full screen.

Anyway, congratulation for this great slideshow.

TheDom:

Hi !! It’s been a long time since we last spoke,,, I hope you’re keeping well.

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you about the lack of music,,, I wanted to (and still want to) include music, but so far have been unable to find a suitably ‘Scottish’ soundtrack that didn’t involve a ‘Bagpipe’ blasting out and driving everyone crazy (?). My search goes on.

The show was produced in ‘frameless windowed’ mode because I had used ‘original’ size for some of the animated images in O&A, this, I discovered, caused a serious miss-alignment of elements (graphics and text) when the show was played back on a 16x9 ratio monitor screen (as opposed to 4x3). I now realise that that (apparently) doesn’t happen when ‘original’ is not used at the outset ~~ this is something that I will have to modify if I decide to re-build the slideshow. It is only an ‘experimental’ slideshow at this stage.

As for the images with the white borders ~~ this ‘error’ is due to the fact that the images used in the slideshow were first created as individual images ~~ I then decided to experiment with the slideshow, and used the collection of images that I’d already produced ~~ clearly these images would have to be re-worked (without borders) if I wanted to produce a ‘finished’ slideshow ~~ but before I do that I need to find the ‘suitable music’ !?

Anyway,,, I’m glad you liked the show as it is now,,, and thank you for your comments.

Luc M:

Thank you for your comments. Your suggestion may come in useful if I decide not to re-work the slideshow.

Regards,

bjc

very nicely done. i like it a lot. as a newbie, it's very helpful to see examples of what can be done.

question: regarding the background narration, did you first complete the visual portion and then let it play and record your narration as the slideshow was in motion? OR did you record a lot of little clips and insert them where you wanted them to play? do you have a particular recommendation as to which may be better/easier?

i haven't tried putting in a background narration or commentary like you did so i'm just wondering what would be the most effective way to do it. thank you also for the tip regarding .wav vs. mp3 and the use of audacity (i use that, too).

i'm pretty sick with a cold but i did want to say how much i enjoyed watching it. the images are wonderfully sharp and clear.

bjc

Dabbler,

Thank you for your kind words.

Regarding the soundtrack / voice-over. I have in the past experimented with various methods of recording voice-to-slide commentaries (for lecture purposes ~ and the suchlike) . For this particular show, the technique I used was to first layout the slides in the order I wanted them to appear ~ then, I set up the slideshow to run with “Wait for a key press or mouse click to show next slide” ticked (Project Options / Main tab). This enabled me to talk for whatever time was necessary, to comment on the relevant slide on-screen at the time, before moving on to the next slide.

The recording was done using Sound Forge which enabled me to stop - start - re-record and/or delete each section of the commentary as was required ~ so that eventually I had a finished ‘single’ audio-track which I saved at full resolution.

As mentioned earlier, this was then re-saved as an MP3 track, using Audacity, and added to the slideshow.

With the previous sound-synchronisation issues resolved (thanks to Audacity) it was then a simple matter of shifting the transition points (using the Timeline with the Waveform visible) so that the images changed in accordance with what I was saying at the time on the voice-over.

The only tricky bit being to get the pre-set O&A slides to match the commentary ~ as the animations are not visible whilst working in the Timeline. Other than that it was quite a straightforward task.

Hope that helps you in some way.

Regards,

bjc

Thank-you for posting your show, very, very enjoyable. I have watched it several times and find your photography stunning and the way you used the functionality in PTE creative and informative, I particularly liked the map.

The location is wonderful and it is such a disappointment to me that Xmas has just passed as I could have put my order in with Santa for a airline ticket to get there and do some photography!!

Regarding the soundtrack, yes a little subdued background music carefully placed would help, your voice is pleasant to listen to and the timing was well suited to the images.

Pan & Zoom stutter was only slightly noticeable and didn't detract from the show in my opinion, the framing on the images, (mentioned earlier by Dom), was a little more disturbing.

The computer background was evident also but you have explained the reason for that and yes I would love to see a "final production" of your show if you do make one, (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you do).

Thanks again bjc for this glimpse of a lovely part of the world.

bjc,

Perfect presentation! You inspired me how to better promote PicturesToExe.

I also seen stuttering on scrolling of a map.

You wrote that you used windowed mode and then I modified your EXE file to get it work in fullscreen mode and voila - absolutely smooth scrolling of a map reached.

Although slideshow works with hardware acceleration in windowed mode, but it can't be exactly synchronized with refresh rate of a display under Windows XP/2000.

Only under Windows Vista windowed and fullscreen modes work at same manner and with ideal smoothness.

Conclusion: if you use Pan/Zoom effects it is highly recommended to use fullscreen mode.

John (jfa),

Thank you for your kind words and feedback, much appreciated.

Igor,

I am delighted to hear that my slideshow has inspired you re: better promoting PTE. If I can be of any further assistance don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the information regarding the stuttering ~ my computers are running XP ~ I will not resort to using Windowed mode again.

Peter (fh1805),

Thank you for the suggestion re: background music --- I will have a search for “Land of the Mountain and the Flood” and have a listen to it.

Thanks to everyone for your comments / input.

bjc

Well, this was great I watched it yesterday and was amazed to find that I dreamt about it for most of the night.

( I'm about to move house and have many things on my mind)

The problems that you mentioned really are overshadowed by the superdupperness of this slideshow.

I have been messing about in the world of photoness for about 40 years and you taught me things that I had never really considered (call me stupid )

You really should make a series of this type of thing ( retail),and let the money come rolling in!

But perhaps you do so already!

No need to say ,but I will anyway, that the images are superb and skill unquestionable.

More please,as soon as poss. By the way I don't think you really need any music.

All the Best for 2008

Neil

TheDom:

Hi !! It’s been a long time since we last spoke,,, I hope you’re keeping well.

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you about the lack of music,,, I wanted to (and still want to) include music, but so far have been unable to find a suitably ‘Scottish’ soundtrack that didn’t involve a ‘Bagpipe’ blasting out and driving everyone crazy (?). My search goes on.

The show was produced in ‘frameless windowed’ mode because I had used ‘original’ size for some of the animated images in O&A, this, I discovered, caused a serious miss-alignment of elements (graphics and text) when the show was played back on a 16x9 ratio monitor screen (as opposed to 4x3). I now realise that that (apparently) doesn’t happen when ‘original’ is not used at the outset ~~ this is something that I will have to modify if I decide to re-build the slideshow. It is only an ‘experimental’ slideshow at this stage.

As for the images with the white borders ~~ this ‘error’ is due to the fact that the images used in the slideshow were first created as individual images ~~ I then decided to experiment with the slideshow, and used the collection of images that I’d already produced ~~ clearly these images would have to be re-worked (without borders) if I wanted to produce a ‘finished’ slideshow ~~ but before I do that I need to find the ‘suitable music’ !?

Anyway,,, I’m glad you liked the show as it is now,,, and thank you for your comments.

Luc M:

Thank you for your comments. Your suggestion may come in useful if I decide not to re-work the slideshow.

Regards,

bjc

Music re Scottish music withou the bag pipes this is a classical piece in the form of a suite which I have heard on Classic FM, which may be useful. They may be able to help as it is often rquested soory I dont know name of it,

Great show. I might have missed it if Ken Cox hadn't given me a heads up. You have a terrific voice which lends itself nicely to narration.

I had no problems with stutter, or any other problems to note.

Having never been to Scotland, and due to finances I probably never will, I really enjoyed the extra info you passed along and map notations.

Just a pleasant show all in all.

Jeff Lunt

bjc

Guest Techman1

BJC,

I very much enjoyed your slideshow. What beautiful images of Scotland and your voice taking us on a personal tour was wonderful. I too would have liked to have a little soft music playing in the background. The only thing missing for novice PTE viewers would be an "Exit" button on your main screen or at the very end of the show. I personally was able to master the "ESC" key to exit, but non-PTE users might struggle a bit.

Extremely nice usage of PTE V5 and excellent photography. Nice job! :D

All the best,

Fred

• 1 month later...

bjc

Iam probably a bit late adding my praise but I've only just come across your brilliant slide show. I thoroughly enjoyed your previos tutourial and learnt a great deal from it and now your new slideshow has encouraged me to attempt to add a voice over,unfortunately not the same melodic type that you have. However my query to you is,that you state that you were able to stop the next slide by a mouse click. Having looked to where you say the required instruction is, OPTIONS/MAIN I am afraid I cannot find it. Could you clarify. Look forward to more have excellent efforts

Hastinga

Hastinga,

Firstly, thank you for your kind comments re: my experimental slideshow ~ I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Re: your enquiry ~ my comment was: “I set up the slideshow to run with “Wait for a key press or mouse click to show next slide” ticked (Project Options / Main tab). This enabled me to talk for whatever time was necessary, to comment on the relevant slide on-screen at the time, before moving on to the next slide. “

You will find the “Wait for key press (etc)” option at the bottom of the Main tab of the Project Options dialogue box ~ two down from “Synchronize Music and Slides” option ~ with this “Ticked” your slides will run for their set duration on-screen (including any animations etc) but will then wait for YOU to make a key press (e.g.: the spacebar) before moving on to the next slide ~ this I used as a temporary measure, whilst recording the voice-over, so that, if I needed to talk for a longer period than the slides were already pre-set for, I was able to carry on talking before proceeding on to the next slide. Needless to say, once the voice-over had been recorded that option was then un-ticked and the slide timings re-adjusted to reflect the newly created audio.

I hope that helps.

bjc

Hastinga,

Firstly, thank you for your kind comments re: my experimental slideshow ~ I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Re: your enquiry ~ my comment was: “I set up the slideshow to run with “Wait for a key press or mouse click to show next slide” ticked (Project Options / Main tab). This enabled me to talk for whatever time was necessary, to comment on the relevant slide on-screen at the time, before moving on to the next slide. “

You will find the “Wait for key press (etc)” option at the bottom of the Main tab of the Project Options dialogue box ~ two down from “Synchronize Music and Slides” option ~ with this “Ticked” your slides will run for their set duration on-screen (including any animations etc) but will then wait for YOU to make a key press (e.g.: the spacebar) before moving on to the next slide ~ this I used as a temporary measure, whilst recording the voice-over, so that, if I needed to talk for a longer period than the slides were already pre-set for, I was able to carry on talking before proceeding on to the next slide. Needless to say, once the voice-over had been recorded that option was then un-ticked and the slide timings re-adjusted to reflect the newly created audio.

I hope that helps.

bjc

Thanks for your prompt reply, but I am still confused. Have attached a screen shot of my Project/main and it doesn't appear to have the item which you say should be there. I am using PTE 5 deluxe. Am I just thick(I am 83 years old) or am I missing something. Bear with me and I will eventualy get there.

All the best, Snow is forecast up your neck of the woods.

hastinga

post-3545-1204562843_thumb.jpg

Hastinga,

Your screen shot looks like PTEv5.0x. I think the "Wait for a key press..." option came in with v5.1x. It's certainly there in my v5.10 Project Options...Main tab. I think downloading the latest version will solve this problem.

Good Morning Barry,

I am writing this the morning after your lecture evening at Frodsham P.S.

I was fortunate enough to be in the audience for an exelent evening on the use of Photoshop CS3.

At evenings end you attempted to show your latest AV creation (Inversnaid), unfortunatly times got the better of you and you had to close it down when only part way through.

After the meeting (in the pub), one or two members expressed their disapointment at not being able to see the whole.

As I have a copy on my hard drive, can I have your permission to project it for them at a future meeting??

Yor visit to our society has now become an annual event, I look foreward to meeting you again next year.

Tom.