WnSoft Forums

Recovering missing files

mightec

I have recently restructured my Folders in WindowsXP, as a result my old PTE Slideshows come up showing a dialogue box - Errors Found. Is there an easy way to recover the pictures not found? In ProShow Producer you can quite easily locate the missing files and recover or do I have to recover each file manually. If not then I would like to suggest to Igor that this is included in future versions of PTE. This is not a complaint.

Hi

Thanks for the information, I have given it ago via Notepad, seems to work fine.

Mike,

I am sure that you are aware of the wisdom of using the 'Create a Template fron This Show' option within PTE.

Ron

Ron

The problem was that I restructured my folders and never gave a thought to the affect on my saved slideshows. I have overcome the problem by rearranging the folders back to something like how they were. But yes, I have learnt the lesson and now use the 'Create a backup in ZIP' feature, all is well.

Mike,

In reply to your PM ...

The Create Backup in Zip function copies/stores all images/music/icon and the relative .pte file to just one directory/folder within the zip. What this means is the original folder structure is not copied to the zip if your files were located within multiple folders.

Understanding proper use of Backup Zip content :

Since the backup zip .pte file is the same name and file as the as original .pte ... the internal paths/directories to the image/music files are exactly the same also. The backup zip .pte file will first look for the original path/folders/files to see if they still exist and use them. If any of the original path/folders/files are missing ... the backup zip .pte file will look in the backup content folder for the remainder files and then use those. This can become confusing or problematic at times when opening/saving the backup zip .pte file which now looks/retains part of the new file/path location and the older original file/path location. Its best not to have any lingering originals/folders/paths for the backup zip .pte file to look for.

To use the backup zip .pte file properly use the menu File | Open of PTE ... locate the new backup zip .pte file and select it ... and then Save. The saved file will now write/store the new backup file path locations in its internal structure.