WnSoft Forums

Big Shows - How to post

ADB

Hello all

I have a big PTE presentation I'm wanting to post, its about 500Meg as it is (has lots of Big Pans and zooms etc that need the full resolution of the image file and is almost 30mins long). I could reduce the quality of the JPEGS and maybe cut it back to under 300Meg.

Most upload sites are limited to 100 Meg uploads

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

You can try TransferBIGFiles.com ( http://transferbigfiles.com/ )

In their FAQ, you can read :

What is the storage limit for my files?

TransferBigFiles does not limit the amount of space your account can use on our servers, the only storage limit we have is that your files may not be larger then one (1) gigabyte.

Good luck with the upload ! ;)

Hello all

I have a big PTE presentation I'm wanting to post, its about 500Meg as it is (has lots of Big Pans and zooms etc that need the full resolution of the image file and is almost 30mins long). I could reduce the quality of the JPEGS and maybe cut it back to under 300Meg.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew -

Good to hear from you again. Regarding the "Big" file, if you are interested in many people seeing the show, I'd suggest that you break it up into smaller sections. A 500MB file is a considerable file to download, but more important, 30 minutes is a large time investment in a slideshow. It would have to be a really good show to hold my attention for 30 minutes. Just my thoughts. Regardless, I'm anxious to see what you've created.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement!

I have had a play round with the JPEG compression size and chopped it down to a Quality of 70 and reduced the Bitrate of the soundtrack and have managed to get this baby down to just over 100 megs! I was quite surpised as the screen quality appears to have held up nicely.

I'm going to take up Bill on his offer and load up to Beechbrook for 30 days - Thankyou Bill.

And the show... well its quite a different project for me, and if I'm honest is inspired by the shows we see from Lumenlux and Jeff Lunt (Wild Dog). Shows that tell a story of a particular journey or experience.

This particular experience is a 7 day road trip last May of what we call in New Zealand the South Island High Country. Its way different for me as its the first show I have made where I haven't been able to choose the very best images taken over a long period of time I just had to rely on what I had over the 7 days. We had a poet on the trip so there's some of his verse included in the show.

30 mins might sound like a long time but the show is broken up into the seven days each with its own underlying theme in a way so it hopefully doesn't drag. I played it at a Photography conference back in October I can't be certain but I don't think anybody fell asleep!

So all things going well should be up on Beechbrook within the next day.

Thanks all

Andrew

Yes, Andrew, this show from you is different (from you) but certainly not disappointing. And in spite of the constraint of "available" photos, your excellent photography is the steady basis for your success.

I think show length is appropriate for what you are doing here. As you know, I face the same concern frequently. If you just wanted to exhibit your finest or favorite 10 or 20 shots like an art gallery, you could do it in 3-5 minutes. But if you are wanting to share also your experience, you need the larger vehicle. Personally I find that a half-day "experience" can be packaged in 3-8 minutes. An active, eventful, scenic day may require 10-15 minutes. When a person has the good fortune of a few days for adventure or just absorbing new scenes, it is really painful to keep the presentation much under 30 minutes. I know I will have lost some potential viewers, but so be it. And if viewers sleep, it should be a pleasant experience too with the backdrop of nice music.

Your soundtrack was well chosen and very carefully applied. I found it interesting that you lowered the volume for the unspoken text of the poetry. A neat technique which did help focus my attention to the silent words. You get extra credit for having a resident poet as part of your crew.

You are the master of the expansive pans! I assume you are using a stitching software - which one? I am also interested in how much PTE zoom power you apply to gain enough horizontal range for the still-very-sharp panned views. I think your pans are paced just right. They are faster than what I usually expect, but just right considering all the territory they cover. Beyond your scenic pans, I found one zoom-action especially effective. That was on day one as we rode with you into traffic, maybe across a bridge. A well done treatment to help the viewer be there.

I think you used tasteful constraint with your black & white inserts. Thus they were effective mood movers as well as nice photographs. Among your landscapes, I had several favorites. But my one "quirky" favorite is your friend's apprehensive expression as he views the pastry landscape surrounding Englebert Humperdink!

I envy the clouds in a few of your shots. Much of your landscape appears very similar to some of our Utah landscape, but your large bodies of water are lacking here. One of my own photographer/hiker friends just returned from a visit to New Zealand, so I will link him to your show so he can see how a transplanted "native" handles some of the scenery. Then when you decide when you want to give our landscape a try, give me a little warning and I will try to talk you into an exchange of some kind so I can get a shot at New Zealand. :D

Thank you for sharing your photos and your experience.

Hello all

I have a big PTE presentation I'm wanting to post

Andrew -

I watched your 30 minute slideshow and generally found it, albiet long, enjoyable. I liked parts 1, 6 & 7 the best. Part 1 caught my attention because you actually had pictures of the trip's preparations. It's obvious you were thinking ahead with that idea. I liked 6 & 7 because they had more variety in the pictures. They showed more of the cultural/human side of the areas you traveled. I also noticed that the introductory slide for section 3 was the same slide used in section 2. I'm curious about where you stayed each day. It looked like they were people's homes, yet I never saw any other people other than yourselves. The pans were too agressive (fast) for my graphics card resulting in a good deal of jerking following the transition. That's my problem however, and not yours.

Lastly, I think it's great that some friends can get together for a seven day road trip, shoot a bunch of pictures, then share the trip with a world wide community of photographers. Like you, I'm looking forward to next year's trip already.

Regards,

Dave

Andrew

I enjoyed your show, it had good pace and kept my attention right to the end.

I think I would have preferred to have a menu so that I could leave it and come back to it again. The poems would be lovely narrated rather than text.

But these are just minor points - great project - well done!

Andrew

The poems would be lovely narrated rather than text.

Mark -

In this AV, would you add the voice over the visual text, or would you recite the entire verse while holding a slide, or would you prefer to continue to roll the photos with no special deference to the verse?

Enjoyed the show Andrew, thanks.

It rekindled many memories of similar trips done with mates over the years. Made me realise it's been far to long since the last one, must organise another soon.

I would like to view the show again before I make too many comments, however some preliminary ones:

- A menu screen at the start to allow viewing of any section, (whole show, section1, section2, and so on), would be great. I didn't find the show too long as I love this type of presentation, however I would like to view different parts again without waiting 15-20min for the show to get there. Also the viewer could watch in instalments, though I would recommend watching the show right through the first time to really appreciate it.

-Regarding voice over the visual text, not sure yet, keep the text Andrew with or without voice. I will think about this while watching again. I found the use of the poetry helped create the mood of the show well. Very creative.

-Pans all OK on my system, loved them!!

-Music was well used, maybe a little motor-vehicle/road noise would help with this part of the shows mood, also some background voices while travelling, (happy talking, joking, laughing, it's all about camaraderie I think). But only occasionally used, (very occasionally).

-Loved the shots of everyone taking photos, what about the click of the shutter in the sound track?

Thank you all for your comments, I'm very pleased that you all enjoyed the show, its nice to have your show "out there" being viewed rather than locked away in the depths of the hardrive!

LUMENLUX

I'm using PTGUI to stitch PANOS. I really believe its the best out there regardless of price.

With regards to zoom range I just seem to zoom in to what fits but I never resize images that I have to zoom as you need all the resolution you can get!

Give me a couple of years for my 2 under two children to grow up a little and I might just take you up on your exchange offer, its definitely a part of the world I plan to visit!

DAVE

Regarding the introductory slide for day 2 and 3 being the same, if you look closely they are not. We stayed in the same place for two days and did the same route each day but on the second day did it in reverse! This proved to be a fascinating experience as we got to see the same scenery in both afternoon and morning lights and I think the photos show the effect of each is quite different. We agreed that in future we would definitely use this technique again on different trips.

For the first three nights we stayed in a vacant holiday home on the shores of Lake Clearwater (you can download a Google Earth Link here:- Clearwater Accomodation )

For the second three night we moved on to a lodge on a High Country Farm over about 120 km's away which also doubles as shearers quarters during the shearing season (you can download a google earth link here:- Glenthorne Accomodation)

JFA

I think you are right, the option to have a menu would be nice and is a great idea. With regards to sound i.e voice over and atmospheric sounds I'm really just guilty of being lazy and not taking the time to record these (sometimes feels like you have more than enough to do without having to record sounds as well on the trip!!) I have seen some of your shows with ambient sounds and I always say to myself "I must do that in my next show..." but I never get round to it. Maybe a challenge for my next show(s). It does really add a whole new dimension to the show.

Cheers all

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I guess I'm being picky or showing

my ignorance but......

a link to your uploaded show early in this thread

would be appreciated.

I now must go and try to find the show you have

gotten me interested in watching!

Hi Andrew, I guess I'm being picky or showing

my ignorance but......

a link to your uploaded show early in this thread

would be appreciated.

I now must go and try to find the show you have

gotten me interested in watching!

Dan,

You can find a copy of Andrew's presentation on my site - http://www.beechbrook.com/pte

Regards,

Bill

Yes, I know it's on Beechbrook

BUT

some of us here (I can't be the only one!) are new or occasional

visitors here. We don't have beechbrook URL memorized.

When I am posting messages on various chat/support groups

such as this one, IF I refer to another website I always try to

give the URL in my message.

That makes it simple for the reader to click and go to what

ever we are talking about.

It's my humble suggestion that it's good protocol to

include your URLs in your messages.

The person you are replying to may know exactly what

you are talking about but what about others who

wander in and are also interested in the subject?

Remember our conversation about the high number of readers

here but low number of downloaded P2E shows.....

Let's make it as easy as possible!

Just my 2¢

Peace!

Dan D.

Louisville Kentucky USA

Hi Andrew

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to produce and upload your show, which despite initial concerns about the length, found very enjoyable.

The opening titles are most impressive, and I found the accompanying poetry very effective, I like the way you reduce the volume of the soundtrack to accommodate it.

Some of the images you used were not sharp, and a few others lacked contrast it also looks like one of you needs to clean the sensor on their camera.

I found that on some of the panorama shots the pan effect actually spoiled the image, partly to do with the fact that the fade in and back out was too long and the pan a little too fast so I was unable to enjoy what was a very interesting shot. I also did not think that the zoom effect out of the car window did anything for me. I think you could have dropped off 50% of the pan and zooms without affecting the show.

I had mixed felling about the length of the show; clearly to capture the essence of such a journey needs a lot of photos, but sitting and watching for 30 mins need a commitment too, as others have suggested, I would love to go back and look again at parts, so a menu to jump to each day would be great.

The sound track was very well chosen, would you mind posting a track listing for me?

There are some absolutely stunning images there, I loved the long lens shot with the transmission wires, the lighting is spot on, the panoramas too are just breath taking, they make me feel like coming over to see for myself, I think you have captured the essence of the place remarkably well.

Thanks again for posting

Hi Morturn

Thanks for looking at the show and posting your comments.

Yes some of the images are not sharp and I'm hoping you are referring to the shots taken in the car on slow shutter speeds - was hoping to portray a feeling of motion. As the dirty sensor hope it was something on the windscreen as the photos are pretty much taken on only two of my cameras and I'm not currently aware that the sensor needs a clean (a task I carry out with some intrepidation! :-)

I never originally thought about having a menu for this show because it's original purpose was to be shown at a Photography Conference where a menu would have been of no use. However I agree for purposes of desktop viewing it would be helpful.

The track list is as follows a straight cut and paste from the credits in PTE:-

first

PRIVATE TASTE

lotus

FAITHLESS

inside

MOBY

4th of July

ED SHEARMUR

love my way

WILLIAM ORBIT

don't wake me up

ARGONAUTS

dawn

VANGELIS

no such thing as monsters

MARK ISHAM

halycon & on & on

ORBITAL

Do come over and have a look and if ever in Queenstown look me up at the National Bank

Cheers

Andrew