WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.5 Release Candidate 5

Igor

Barry (and others),

I've just done a little test using Barry's method of working and I think I now understand what is happening to give the massive apparent length of music.

Every time you do a "Cut Transition" it moves the selected slides with their durations to beyond the actual end of the music. (Fine, I don't have a problem with this!) Over a series of such "Cut Transitions" the amount of "excess time" can become considerable as has been discovered. As one then plays the music and adds the "New Transitions" the images are brought back to the desired position on the Timeline. The final image, when that is brought to its correct point on the Timeline by the final "New Transition" event, carries with it all the remaining duration including all that has been amassed via the "Cut Transition" activity.

To get the proper duration for the sequence, all that is required is to Customize that final slide to have a duration that matches the actual end of the soundtrack.

It would be most useful to have a Menu command or Button that allowed "Set last slide duration to end at end of music" in order to get the correct time set precisely. Note that having this as a Project Option (which was my first reaction) probably wouldn't work because it would not then allow the "Cut Transition" process to work as it does at present. But a Menu Command or a Button that can be used once all the transition points are set would then provide a quick way of synchronising the end of the last slide to the end of the soundtrack. If this solution is adopted can I suggest "SyncLast" as the button title?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Barry,

I also notice that while working on the time line, if you highlight a transition point and hit the delete key instead of the cut transition button, the slide is not only removed from the time line, but also the slide list.
Press Shift+Del to remove only transition point keeping slide. Because Timeline and Slide list both are located in the main window they should utilize same common functions and hotkeys. For this reason Del removes slide.
File Panel

Often I want to get rid of an image completely from my show, I have decided it has no place in the sequence, but if I highlight the thumbnail, hitting the delete key does nothing, can it be made to completely remove the image to the recycle bin?

You can do it via popup menu | Explorer sub-menu. There is a danger if we add Del key for this, because all other file operations of PicturesToExe in the main window are virtual and don't delete real files.

Concerning problem with Beta 5 under Windows Vista. We've added some changes and I hope it will not happen again. If crashes will occur again in Beta 6 or later, please let me know.

Time to put my head above the parapet once more!

I'm not sure that I like the way that the discussion about the time line is going?

Good shows (especially Barrys) owe more to the quality of the images than the way they were put together on the time line.

I wouldn't want to see changes made which lean towards one persons way of working more than any other persons way of working.

I am quite happy with the time line the way it is.

DaveG

I agree with Davegee, this software should be made for the majority and not just to accomodate a single persons method of working.

Ron

Whilst it is obvious that Igor and his team are not writing this software for one or a few selected users it is important that individuals that are experienced exponents of the program can make detailed suggestions on improvements towards the final version.

Igor can only do what is possible within the bounds of technology available to him, (and what an incredible job he does in accomodating so many of the suggestions so quickly). But surely the whole point of the 'Forum' and the 'Beta' versions is to discuss the myriad ways and techniques of creating the final object....ie an AV presentation.

I for one learn a lot about the various methods out there whilst reading these threads. So keep it up.

I'm sure that the finished software will be be the best it can be.. ( you cannot please all the people all....etc etc etc...

Anthony.

Ron,

Whilst I agree with your sentiment about the software being made for the majority, rather than tailored to the needs of any one individual, I have found the discussion about Barry's (and others) ways of working to be interesting. I don't know whether or not you've tried Barry's method, but if you haven't then can I suggest that you reserve judgement. I hadn't until I carried out the test mentioned in my post above (#152). Having tried it I can see that it could have its uses. I don't have a single way of working (as I posted elsewhere on this forum recently). To have discovered a new way of working which, I can see, could be useful and possibly quicker than any of my current techniques is the sort of thing that makes membership of this forum community so priceless.

To return to the point about the direction taken by the software development: Igor has set himself a very difficult challenge - trying to satisfy as many of the, sometimes conflicting, requests that we place with him. He does an excellent job but he is constantly working under the handicap that (if I might mis-quote a great American statesman) "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

Igor, you get it right more often that you get it wrong. Keep up the good work!

Press Shift+Del to remove only transition point keeping slide. Because Timeline and Slide list both are located in the main window they should utilize same common functions and hotkeys. For this reason Del removes slide.

Igor,

This would, in my opinion, be a suitable substitute for the previous capability to remove only transition points by highlighting and deleting them on the timeline.

However, for some reason, it doesn't work that way for me. :( If I highlight all the transitions and press "Shift-Del", the points are shifted to the right, not removed, just as they are when I click on "Cut transition".

And maybe "Cut transition" should be renamed "Shift transition", to avoid confusion for new members in the future.

While putting the Week in Scotland show together I also had the attached happen, although I have had this before with earlier versions of PTE5 too (well prior to 5.5).

My time line shows me that I have 500 minutes of music, when in fact it's little over 8 minutes. I can't find out how to get the music showing correctly. If I open the project file in 5.1 I get the same problem. It makes the scroll bar difficult to use to find the part of the time line you actually want.

Anyone else ever had this?

Yes, I have noticed this too, even with version 4.48. In the latter, if one adds too many slides for the music, and selects "synchronize slides", the main window shows the length of time required to display the slides using the default duration time, not the time of the music currently selected.

In fact I had a query put to me about this yesterday by a friend who is new to the program and who is still using version 4.48.

In Version 5.1, if you needed to insert a new slide somewhere in the middle of the timeline, you placed the blue cursor triangle at the point of desired insertion and then clicked the "Insert Slide" button. The file list opened and you selected the slide you wanted.

It does not seem to be possible to do this in the latest beta as adding a slide always places the slide at the end of the timeline and inserting a new transition does not seem to give you the option to select a particular slide for insertion.

I second your observation here, Jeff, and it is another feature which I found very useful in previous versions.

And maybe "Cut transition" should be renamed "Shift transition", to avoid confusion for new members in the future.

Hello,

I also think that the word "shift" would be the better choice.

A minor remark: The grey area on the timeline (showing the effect duration) is a little bit too short. The attachment shows an example for exactly 1 second (1000 ms).

Kind regards

Xaver H.

Munich

post-5382-1208779383_thumb.jpg

I have to disagree I don't think the word 'shift transition' is a good way of putting it. (I know that is what is happening)

But the confusion would come in the thinking that you wanted to shift a set of points from 'A' to 'B'.

I don't have a problem with cutting them and ignoring them in the short time it takes to program in the transition points on the fly. (they are far right and you don't catch up with them.)

I wonder if it would be possible for Igor to have the cut points which go to far right to be greyed out or a different colour to highlight they are only temporary?

David

Beta 6:

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/apr-deluxe_beta.zip (5 MB)

+ Updated some language files.

+ Click on time label (0:14) in mini-player sets the cursor to very beginning of the show. Click on slideshow duration label (7:77) moves cursor to the end of a slideshow.

+ Faster work of the timeline on very long slideshows (one hour and longer).

+ Light table (F4) can be accessed from Timeline mode.

+ You can adjust end of a slideshow on the timeline (dragging vertical green line after last slide).

Please look at this screenshot:

post-1-1208792877_thumb.jpg

Barry,

I hope that problem with Windows Vista will not occur anymore in this beta.

I'm not sure that I like the way that the discussion about the time line is going?

Good shows (especially Barrys) owe more to the quality of the images than the way they were put together on the time line.

I wouldn't want to see changes made which lean towards one persons way of working more than any other persons way of working.

I am quite happy with the time line the way it is.

DaveG

Responding to DaveG's point above and to other comments about modification to PTE. I am sure we all agree that Igor and his team are doing a great job as usual in responding to our observations and the latest Beta is a significant improvement on Version 5.1. However in reading the list of "desirable improvements/features" in the forum, I am reminded of a major software development in my old company. Our internal software team developed a very sophisticated project management package based on Lotus Notes. Like PTE it went through various upgraded versions and eventually provided a very useful tool for project engineers to manage their project documentation. But the end users were never satisfied and were always looking for another "improvement or feature", and the developers were always trying to oblige. Eventually the excellent functionality of the software became degraded by all the add-ons.

PTE is a marvellous program and provides us all with an extremely versatile facility. But I hope the user requirements do not result in any degredation in its functionality.

Haver,

It's not a visual bug.

Place two slides, each one with 1 sec's duration and 1 second for transition effect. And you'll see.

Hello Igor,

from a practical, implementation related point of view, I totally agree - but not in terms of mathematical aesthetic ;)

Best regards

Xaver H.

Munich

PTE is a marvellous program and provides us all with an extremely versatile facility. But I hope the user requirements do not result in any degredation in its functionality.

Jeff, you are so right and I am with you 100%

I did say from the very beginning, when version 4 was being used, that too much change may well spoil what is an excellent piece of software. I reckon it is time for Igor and his team to have a well earned rest (and holiday) so that we can all get to grips with all the new additions to PTE.

I doubt very much if there are many users who can understand it all at the moment!

Ron

Igor

Have trialed Beta 6, really appreciate the short cut to Light Table from time line....Thank you! :-)

I mentioned in a previous post about when in the Timeline Mode if you unselected "View/Advanced Options/Show real slide in mini-player" that you physically can't then play or record your Timeline as your play control is then greyed out. Is this a bug?

I just see it being ocassionally useful to be able to record on the timeline without ANIMATIONS being shown and thought unselecting this option would allow that?

Regards

Peter,

It would be most useful to have a Menu command or Button that allowed "Set last slide duration to end at end of music" in order to get the correct time set precisely. Note that having this as a Project Option (which was my first reaction) probably wouldn't work because it would not then allow the "Cut Transition" process to work as it does at present. But a Menu Command or a Button that can be used once all the transition points are set would then provide a quick way of synchronising the end of the last slide to the end of the soundtrack. If this solution is adopted can I suggest "SyncLast" as the button title?
I think it's a good idea and Al also suggested this option (as Project options). Having read your thoughts why it should be accessed as a command (not as option), I finally received confirmation to my own thoughts how it should be done. I'll add this option to "Timed points" menu.

Andrew,

I'm thinking about this possibility now - can it be realized or not.

+ Click on time label (0:14) in mini-player sets the cursor to very beginning of the show. Click on slideshow duration label (7:77) moves cursor to the end of a slideshow.

+ Faster work of the timeline on very long slideshows (one hour and longer).

+ Light table (F4) can be accessed from Timeline mode.

+ You can adjust end of a slideshow on the timeline (dragging vertical green line after last slide).

Igor, these are wonderful improvements to the new beta - thanks so much. The mini-player is now a very sophisticated feature, and works soooooo smoothly! The ability to tweak the duration of the last slide is also a very useful feature.

Now, may I please make one more request, since we are still on the subject of the timeline? Can you please add an "insert" key, particularly for the timeline view, so that we can add a slide between two other slides, like we can in previous versions? This is still a very useful function and seems to be missing in the recent betas.

Al,

Now, may I please make one more request, since we are still on the subject of the timeline? Can you please add an "insert" key, particularly for the timeline view, so that we can add a slide between two other slides, like we can in previous versions? This is still a very useful function and seems to be missing in the recent betas.
Please explain in more details, I didn't understand, sorry.

- As I know you can drag a new slide from the File panel and insert to the time where you want.

- In Slide list you can insert new slide between two current one. Don't forget about state of "Hold time points" option in status bar when Slide list on the screen.

I have just added "Set End of Last Slide at End of Music" command to "Timed points" menu in Timeline view to next Beta 7.

Also I added auto-adjusting when you set splitter near to end of slideshow (+/- 200 ms.) to precisely end the show with end of music.

Igor

With Beta 6, I notice the little double headed arrow icon we see when we drag the transition length in the timeline has disappeared.

I can still drag the transition length longer or shorter, but the icon is missing and needed I think

Barry

Igor,

For your info PTE Deluxe 5.5 Beta 6:

1) After "Add Button". The "Button opacity" is not working anymore in <Objects and Animation> <Properties>.

2) After "Add Text". The "Blur" is not always reacting right after tick off "Auto font quality" in <Objects and Animation> <Properties>. After tick off "Auto font quality" and sliding to a value, ticking the "Blur" has no reaction.

Greetings,

Cor