WnSoft Forums

Gettin' messy around here!

Truelight

I don't want to seem demanding B) in a forum that is not my own to command, but it is my opinion that we deparately NEED subcategories for messages in this forum. I am finding this new layout (and perhaps the increased use of it) makes it very difficult to determine what I've read and not read, what is new, and to find stuff I'm interested in reading v.s. fluff that perhaps I'm not so excited about. Like the Dpreview site, we very much need subcategories in the PTE forum!

In fact...I would consider this a greater priority than the next PTE upgrade! This website and the help that is available here is one of the greatest advantages to using PTE as opposed to "Brand X." Greater organization will take that one notch higher. Igor... please let us know if this is forthcoming.

Agree **********

10 stars i think :blink:

that is what Casey was working towards

we have been thru a very big year

Igor had to get a new host

Igor made numerous upgrades to the program

the other forum was getting way out of hand

let us stop the snowball now before it gets too big and we end up with a hodgepoge forum again

my 2 cents Canadian -- granted it aint worth much on the world market, but the best we can do B)

an example of a forum with the sort of things we need can be seen at

http://www.windowsbbs.com/

it will show the last active posts in each category etc

I imagine Invision would modify for our needs -- 'tis up to Igor to ask -- but if Igor and co are busy sorting out the layout and trying to institute getting all the old posts up to this forum something has to suffer -- and that will be revising/updating 3.8 will have to go on hold

you cant have your cake and eat it too

so people what's it gonna be ?????????

voice your comments so that Igor can see which direction to go -- BUT dont start another thread keep it in this one

ken

FWIW, the current software already shows you what you've not read and let's you go right there.

Threads are listed in reverse chronological order. All threads that have messages that are new for you have a little down-pointing arrow to the left of the thread name. Click on the little arrow and not the thread name and it goes directly to the first message in the thread that is new for you.

The only problem I see with this is that I don't know of a way to set yourself "backwards in time". So, for example, if you log on at 1pm and DON'T read all your "new" messages, when you log on at 3pm, it won't flag them as "new" any more since it uses your last logon time and the message post times to do the flagging.

That's why I find it easier to just have one list when reading all messages in a forum. It DOES make it harder to find something, though -- I haven't used the search function so I don't know how effective that is.

Harold

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.

There are two or three threads about this topic. So if nobody do nothing I have to come with an idea, at least to solve part of the problem.

We can start our "subject" with a letter:

Example:

SM - topic subjet.. (Sound and music)

Sy - topic subjet.. (Synchronizing topics)

IMG - topic subjet.. (images)

CD - topic subjet.. (CD problems)

Com - topic subjet.. (computer...)

Gen - topic subjet.. (General and other)

B)

I am glad that this Topic of Getting Organized is modern again. I started a topic about getting organized and make several sub-forums, and several members had additional ideas and suggestions. Just to refresh memories, here did it start:

Let´s get organized

Maybe Igor can paste the messages of these two topic, into one now. This is one moe reason to get Organized

Regards

Ernst

I don't do a lot of posting but I do read the threads of this and some other forums quite a bit. I too, am finding it very difficult to find the topics and posts that are meaningful to me.

There was mention of the DPReview forum in the original post. Well, I personally think that is one of the best structures for a forum I have seen. You can navigate to various topics, see in a glance who has originated new posts, responded to the posts and any sub-topics to the original topic. It's very slick but it must be proprietary since I have not seen that structure anyplace else. Anyway, something similar here would solve a lot of our problems.

If there is some doubt about getting organized and how to do it, Admin could set up a New Poll. This Invision software allows that. That might give some idea of what we want and how we want it.

Once the general poll is completed, a second more refined one could be setup.

Regards

Ernst

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd make this one rise to the top again having seen -no- action to make it happen. I can only assume:

- Wnsoft is too busy with other things to make this happen

or--

- Wnsoft disagrees that this is a need

or --

- The Wnsoft team doesn't read the forum

Which is it?? :D

Yes, certainly, this ALSO is in our wish-list.

Maybe Wnsoft does not know how it is done? I understand that Invision board is good and great stuff and has the capability to subdivide forums.

Just the first page of this forum a while ago (of a total of ca. 170 topics):

Ranked by Read

Replies Read

0 5

1 48

1 49

2 85

6 85

2 89

1 104

3 108

3 114

5 135

7 140

12 162

9 171

1 172

9 183

4 203

9 239

10 283

10 319

Ranked by Replies

Replies Read

0 5

1 48

1 49

1 104

1 172

2 85

2 89

3 108

3 114

4 203

5 135

6 85

7 140

9 171

9 183

9 239

10 283

10 319

12 162

Lots reading, no more than 12 replies for 162 readers, no more than 10 replies for 319 readers, threads started several times, and so on. It is getting very messy, and one starts losing interest in reading back and forth. Finally if you want to answer to a post of a thread started several times, where do you post?

I understand it is not difficult to divide the BIG forum-site in sub-forums.

I am using Ikonboard at my place (just starting) and it works fine and it is really easy to implement. Admoinbistrator of forum have several powerful tools to manage the forums.

You even can move posts from one forum to the other. So, if here the house is cleaned up, it should be easy for the administrator to group posts (and/or threads) into categories.

Regards

Ernst

May I suggest that one topic be: For Beginners.

I would live in that forum! I've been having a blast with the P2E program and every time I use it I find out something new that's fun and also discover that there's something I'd like to do but don't know how yet.

Hello..

If Igor and staff starts using categories/sub-topics today... it will take awhile to get all topics, categories, etc. organized and maintained!

Trust me, I have been there and it is a pain in the @&*$!

This forum has over 1,100 topics, entries, etc. and the old forum had more and I hope Igor has the patience to do this..I didn't when mine "got out of hand" and that is why I started over. Since then, I have got it organized and the member/guest or I can bring up a topic/discussion without a problem within my forum(s).

Also..I have noticed there are several repeats of the same subject(s) or topic(s) and this also is frustrating and you do not know what to do next!

Maybe Igor's priorities is making a better software and let it's members/guests do what is best in the forum..I can't answer that..only he can!

Enough said :blink:

Bart

Ken...

I'm not suggesting we have Igor (or whoever does the work on the forum?) make this retroactive and try to sort the old messages into categories. I'd be happy if they just set up the system with a few major categories and then allowed them to fill from this point on. New categories would become evident as time went on.

It appears to me that no one really monitors the forum. I'm pleased they built it and I'm on here a lot, but as it stands now, it's hard to see what's old, what's new, and to sift through what I may wish to follow and what I don't. The forums on Dpreview get 10-100 times the traffic we do here and they are nicely organized.