WnSoft Forums

Best size monitor for PTE

Roy

Can anyone help me in the best size monitor to buy for PTE

at the moment I have 19" monitor runing at 1024 x 768 and this works fine but many new montors have very wide screens

as I mainly use my pc for AV I dont think wide screen as the best option.

Any Ideas?

Thank you

I have decided on a 1920x1080 monitor which will cover all aspect ratios and projector resolutions up to and including 1920x1080.

The current state of play with projectors is mostly 1024x768 but I expect this to change to mostly 1400x1050 within the next year.

Following that I expect that there will then be a change to 1920x1080 projection very quickly.

I want a monitor which will allow me to see PTE shows at "ACTUAL PIXELS" at all projection resolutions. I have proven to my own satisfaction that the most "efficient" aspect ratio monitor for AV shows is the 16:9. When making shows of 3:2 aspect ratio (same as camera) or wider it allows you to put more pixels on screen resulting in greater definition etc.

DaveG

I have decided on a 1920x1080 monitor which will cover all aspect ratios and projector resolutions up to and including 1920x1080.

The current state of play with projectors is mostly 1024x768 but I expect this to change to mostly 1400x1050 within the next year.

Following that I expect that there will then be a change to 1920x1080 projection very quickly.

I want a monitor which will allow me to see PTE shows at "ACTUAL PIXELS" at all projection resolutions. I have proven to my own satisfaction that the most "efficient" aspect ratio monitor for AV shows is the 16:9. When making shows of 3:2 aspect ratio (same as camera) or wider it allows you to put more pixels on screen resulting in greater definition etc.

DaveG

Thank you DaveG

But not being conversant with all these resolutions. Can you please explain what size your monitor is i.e 19,20, 21,or wide screen, Being disabled and in my middle 70s I am a bit of a slow learner but enthusiastic and willing to learn as I get a lot of pleasure from photography and realy enjoy the wonderful PTE software.

Thank you for your help

Royo

Hi Royo,

Let me see if I can clarify matters for you:

There are three points that need to be considered: the resolution (measured in pixels x pixels), the aspect ratio and the monitor size.

Resolution is expressed by the two pixel counts. The first count (e.g. 1024) indicates how many pixels (dots of colour) there will be on each horizontal row and the second pixel count (e.g. 768) indicates how many dots of colour there will be in each vertical column.

The aspect ratio is simply the ratio between the two numbers making up the resolution. So, a resolution of 1024x768 is an aspect ratio of 4:3 whilst a resolution of 1280x1024 is an aspect ratio of 5:4.

Monitor size is most often expressed (in the UK) as a number of inches (e.g. 17inch, 19inch). This represents the approximate diagonal length of the viewable area.

Any monitor could be running at any resolution. The maximum resolution is determined by the graphics card (in a desktop system) or graphics chipset (in a laptop). It is possible to set the graphics to a different resolution (one whose numbers are lower than the maximum) if so desired.

To summarize: the resolution captures the detail, the monitor size allows you to see the detail and the aspect ratio determines whether you are looking at a nearly square picture or a wide-wcreen picture.

Hope this has helped your understanding.

Hi Royo,

Let me see if I can clarify matters for you:

There are three points that need to be considered: the resolution (measured in pixels x pixels), the aspect ratio and the monitor size.

Resolution is expressed by the two pixel counts. The first count (e.g. 1024) indicates how many pixels (dots of colour) there will be on each horizontal row and the second pixel count (e.g. 768) indicates how many dots of colour there will be in each vertical column.

The aspect ratio is simply the ratio between the two numbers making up the resolution. So, a resolution of 1024x768 is an aspect ratio of 4:3 whilst a resolution of 1280x1024 is an aspect ratio of 5:4.

Monitor size is most often expressed (in the UK) as a number of inches (e.g. 17inch, 19inch). This represents the approximate diagonal length of the viewable area.

Any monitor could be running at any resolution. The maximum resolution is determined by the graphics card (in a desktop system) or graphics chipset (in a laptop). It is possible to set the graphics to a different resolution (one whose numbers are lower than the maximum) if so desired.

To summarize: the resolution captures the detail, the monitor size allows you to see the detail and the aspect ratio determines whether you are looking at a nearly square picture or a wide-wcreen picture.

Hope this has helped your understanding.

Thank you Peter

What size would you buy for PTE

I get easily confused partly down to my cancer drugs and my age

Thank you for your help. I get a lot of pleasure in using PTE and undertaking av shows for my local charity.

Thank you

Royo

Royo,

In order to advise best for you - please tell us:

Do you have a Point and Shoot Camera or a DSLR?

The first is a 4:3 aspect ratio and the last a 3:2 aspect ratio.

If you have the former a 1600x1200 would be great.

If the latter then something wider would be preferable - not necessarily wide screen.

P.S. Do you use a Projector to do your charity shows? If so what resolution?

DaveG

Royo,

I currently work on a 17" monitor that is driven by a graphics card that operates at 1280x1024 pixels. If I was having to replace the monitor I would probably consider a 19"; anything bigger than that would be a struggle to fit in on the worktop.

Royo,

In order to advise best for you - please tell us:

Do you have a Point and Shoot Camera or a DSLR?

The first is a 4:3 aspect ratio and the last a 3:2 aspect ratio.

If you have the former a 1600x1200 would be great.

If the latter then something wider would be preferable - not necessarily wide screen.

P.S. Do you use a Projector to do your charity shows? If so what resolution?

DaveG

Thank you Dave

I have a 20D Cannon DSLR

and a Plus projector U5 632H

Aspect ratio 4:3 support 16:9 1024 x 768

I have it set up for 1024 x 768

Thank you for helping me

Regards Royo

Royo,

I currently work on a 17" monitor that is driven by a graphics card that operates at 1280x1024 pixels. If I was having to replace the monitor I would probably consider a 19"; anything bigger than that would be a struggle to fit in on the worktop.

Thank you Peter

It is very good to have members so Knowledgeble and helpfull

I have decided I will either stick to a 19" or possible 20" not wide screen for the new PC I intend to by

My Camera is a Cannon 20D DSLR

and my Projector is a PLUS U5 633H Aspect ratio 4:3 support 16:9 1024 X 768

Many thanks again

regards Royo

Royo,

Please keep us updated with what you buy and specs of the monitor.

I would be more concerned about the RESOLUTION of the monitor than its size in inches.

Can I ask if you will be using the new computer with the projector?

....and what do you mean by "Aspect ratio 4:3 support 16:9 "?

DaveG