WnSoft Forums

Copying slides

Following Peter's (fh1805) advice, I repeat my suggestion I have already made here: It would be helpful to have better features for copying slides: It should be possible to open several projects at the same time and to drag and drop slides from one project window to the other. Then the user could store his/her standard templates and easily copy parts of them into new presentations which presently can not be done in a comfortable way.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

This has my support. I can see at least two ways of doing it from the user's point of view:

1 - the ability to open multiple projects in the one instance of PTE (just like opening multiple images in Photoshop) and then be able to copy and paste from one project to another

2 - the ability to have multiple instances of PTE active at once (already exists) with the ability to copy and paste from one instance to another (not currently possible)

Personally, I'd prefer the second option.

regards,

Peter

• 3 months later...

Peter, Xaver,

Whilst not disagreeing with either of you, the procedure you are suggesting could cause problems with images coming from multiple folders.

The usual procedure is to make a template when the project is completed.

During construction (and before the template is made) the distribution of images across multiple folder can, as you know, cause problems.

DaveG

Ken,

No, Ralph's technique hasn't been eliminated. It is still very valid. But, at present, we cannot copy across multiple projects all open at the same time. And that is what this thread is discussing; having multiple projects open at the same time (which is currently possible) with the ability to copy and paste images between them (which isn't currently possible).

regards,

Peter

DaveG,

I agree, there is the increased risk of confusion with regards to missing images or images that have the same name but different content. But surely with all software products, there comes a time when the user has to take responsibility for their actions.

Perhaps, if Igor ever does implement a "cross-project copy and paste" capability, the user should be warned whenever they try and copy an image into a project and there already exists in that project an image of the same name but from a different folder path.

And, of course, "Create backup as Zip" will always pull everything together into one place.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I copy what you say about 5.52.

When did that facility get dropped?

"And, of course, "Create backup as Zip" will always pull everything together into one place"

Agreed, but the possibility exists, during a lengthy project, that the "Backup in ZIP" will not occur until the very end and in the meantime things could get moved around.

Two possibilities: Either IGOR puts some sort of warning in when copying and pasting OR do as I do and manage your images and folders yourself.

I can see where a complicated sequence would be easier to copy and paste rather than rebuild, but the chances of a c**k up occuring are increased if some sort of system is not in place.

It has to be intuitive and any suggestion made to Igor should have the INTUITIVENESS built in. He's the one who gets the flack if he blindly follows all suggestions.

DaveG

DaveG,

Agree entirely with the need to manage files and folders. That's exactly how I work. Each project has its own top-level folder. Each project folder has the same sub-folder structure. If I want to use an existing image in a new project then it first gets copied into the relevant sub-folder for that new project. This applies even to the BlackSlide file and the Background image files. At the last count I had over 50 BlackSlide files!.

regards,

Peter

xahu34

I also fully agree with you on being able to copy / paste, or drag and drop directly to the slide list.

In my opinion a top priority feature request.

Peter

But, at present, we cannot copy across multiple projects all open at the same time.

Another copy / paste I just stumbled upon. ( unless mentioned elsewhere on forum )

Copy / Paste (5.xx series)

With multiple PTE working projects open (5.xx series).

Copying and pasting images or objects from one project to another can be achieved using the “Objects and Animation” screen “Objects” section in one show to another.

This even works from one version of PTE to a different using 5.xx series (tested with 5.52 & 5.6_beta_10 with multiple versions open)

In some cases you may want to create a blank image - In O&A - delete this image - then paste.

This does not work copying and pasting from or into the Slide List area, only into “Objects and Animation” "Objects"

Peter – if you get a moment you may want to try with Windows Vista

Yes just another work around!

Not sure if this still applies (not tested)

davegee - DaveG’s remarks July 2007

When you copy from one project to another the COPIED slides all take on the PROJECT OPTIONS of the host project.

Igor – Back in August 2006 you mentioned you would think more into this.

Can this copy / paste not be simplified and work as many programs do, pasting directly into Slide List, or drag and drop.

Tested above using Windows XP

With multiple PTE working projects open (5.xx series).

Copying and pasting images or objects from one project to another can be achieved using the “Objects and Animation” screen “Objects” section in one show to another.

This even works from one version of PTE to a different using 5.xx series (tested with 5.52 & 5.6_beta_10 with multiple versions open)

In some cases you may want to create a blank image - In O&A - delete this image - then paste.

This does not work copying and pasting from or into the Slide List area, only into “Objects and Animation” "Objects"

Peter – if you get a moment you may want to try with Windows Vista

Ralph,

It works under Vista as well.

regards,

Peter

• 7 years later...