WnSoft Forums

Sonic-Studio Tech Review

Conflow

Peter,

Firstly, I had forgotten to advise you to make sure you get the 'Software-Disc' with the Griffin iMIC (should you buy one)

or alternatively download the (Free) Griffin Mic Software from iPod or iMac ~ this is of vital importance, viz:-

The Software converts the recorder 'Digitised PCM Audio' into Mp3 or Wav Files and in particular if you are using a Phono

Deck it decodes the PCM Tracks into the correct LP Disc curves ie:- either CCIR or NAB, or NARTB correction for Tape Decks.

Secondly, most Mic Pre-Amp are designed to run into Line-Inputs of Mixers and PC Lin-in Sockets. This depending on the

resident PC Sound-Card. Some 'Sound-Cards' have no Line-In Controls and use the WAV Input Controls instead.

Some 'Sound-Cards' have 2 Mixers, (a) Playback Mixer Volume Sliders and (B) Recording Mixer Volume Sliders.

Other Cards like the 'Conexant Cards' have 'Combi-Replay-Record-Volume Sliders' which have to be individually selected.

In all circumstances select the 'Options' Button on top-left of the 'Volume Mixer Window' then select Properties and proceed

from there...

See the 'Screen-Shots' below for more detail...

Hope this helps you,

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1222981588_thumb.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brian,

EDIROL also offer a number of USB Audio Capture devices one of which is:

http://www.ediroleurope.com/product_overvi...&country=GB

I have used a more basic Edirol UA-1D to interface between a variety of optical output equipped devices such as the MD Recorder, the 16 Track Recorder and my PC for many years very successfully.

DaveG

Dave,

Thats one nice piece of Kit ~ very cleverly designed ~ thanks for bringing it to my attentions, its gone into the Techno Archive.

If Barry Digital is reading this it would be an excellent accompliment to the EDIROL or SONY Digital Recorders and it would

certainly enhance his PTE Productions and those are really good in the 1st place.

Thanks again Dave,

Brian.Conflow.

QUITE some time ago the question of the right recorder came up by Ronnie West -

i mentioned this piece

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2008/01/10...der-review.html

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowProduct...;site=biz_en_GB

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Sony+PCM-D50...lient=firefox-a

- the thread got quite a bit of discussion and if my memory serves me right, with some samples being offered

i think Tom Court and Ronnie ended up buying recorders but cant remember what

ken

Ken,

Yep,thats it...the Sony PCM-D50...superb Recorder, but at $500 dollars its really aimed at the 'Top End' Forum User

whereas at $190 dollars the Zoom H2 would probably satisfy most Forum Members for Voice-Overs and general

O/B Work....provided they are going to do O/B Work.

But why anyone should buy a Digital Recorder just for 'Desktop Voice-Overs' when the $50 dollar "Griffin iMIC" USB

Input Module beats them all "stone dead" certainly astonishes me !!!

All the best,

Brian.Conflow.

Brian is quite correct I have been using the H2 for about 18 months and find that considering the cost it performs very well in the field if some care is taken with the input levels and positioning of the unit in relationship to the sound source. O/B recordings for use in AVs is the reason I purchased the H2. In fact the H2 will pickup more than required in most cases. Last weekend I was recording vintage cars arriving and leaving a display and found when I listened to the files on my PC I had in the background yapping dogs, bird song, aeroplanes flying over and more crowd noise than I required, (a conversation between 2 people on the other side of the road which I could follow easily). However most of this can be removed with a good sound editor and some time.

There are definitely better recorders on the market but considering cost and the use of the resulting files the H2 has been a good purchase for me.

On the subject of voice recording, (which I don't do a lot of), I purchased a Griffin iMIC again on Brian's recommendation on this forum some time ago and it beats the H2 hands down for this use. Although I am still looking for the "perfect" microphone to use with it which is not too expensive.

Dave,

Please re-read my Posts Nos: #27 and #29 above and you will see that I specifically agree with you, but there is

an amount of confusion about this whole 'Voice-Over' subject which is not really 'on-topic' in this thread, however:-

1) There is a case for 'Lo-Cost Desktop Voice-Overs' and another case for 'Pro-Cost Desktop Voice-Overs'.

2) The Griffin iMic System is superb for the Lo-Cost sectors ~and~ the Edriol 4FX is perfect for the Pro-Cost sectors.

3 Why anyone use's a Digital Recorder simply for the sole purpose of making 'Desktop Voice-Overs' is beyond me.

Now for the O/B Recordist Sector...

a) A need exists for a good Lo-Cost O/B Recorder such as the Zoom H2 -and- a Pro-Cost Recorder,eg:- Sony or Edriol etc;

B) There is an O/B need to record:- Interviews ~ Nature Sounds ~ Sound Effects and this is where the Digital Recorder is needed.

c) Sure one could push these into 'Desktop Voice-Over' usage, but that's not the origional design intent for these Recorders.

Why use the Griffin iMIC or the Edriol 4FX to download these Recorders ??

You are killing 2 Birds with one stone:- O/B Sound Downloading and Desktop Voice-Overs and because you can convert

the PCM Sound Tracks into Mp3 or WAV for direct Sound Editing which is impossible to do with virgin PCM Sound Tracks.

So effectively you are getting the best of both Worlds with 'superb quality' as an additional bonus.

Hope this helps,

Brian.Conflow.

John,

You wrote:....."On the subject of voice recording, (which I don't do a lot of), I purchased a Griffin iMIC again on Brian's

recommendation on this forum some time ago and it beats the H2 hands down for this use. Although I am still looking

for the "perfect" microphone to use with it which is not too expensive"....

Try 'Sound-Lab Microphones' they are available from Electronic Component Suppliers (Yellow Pages) they are a cost

effective alternative to AKG, Shure etc. They are solid Metal construction, Pop-proof, Wind resistant, Rugged, Heavy

and essentially Hand-Noise free. Super Cardoid versions are ideal for O/B work and with a Desk-Stand you have good

Semi-Pro performance. They are very popular in Clubs, Rock Groups, PA.Systems because of thier rugged construction.

We use the Type:G-147 Cardoid (about £30) but other versions available from £15. (Google:- Sound-Lab Microphones)

Below is a 'Trade-Link' select Microphones on the Left-Search Panel.

http://www.soundlightuk.com/SoundLAB/Micro...s/balanced1.htm

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for all the useful info you have provided on this topic. I have been learning a lot. I do NOT have a separate sound card and it does not look as if I have any facility for Line Input on my PC so perhaps I should invest in the iMic as it would be around the same price. I see on Amazon that there are one or two different (newer?) versions with the Griffin 1102-IMIC2 iMic looking identical to the one in your post. Is that the one to go for now?

My wife has a fairly powerful PC inherited from our son when he upgraded and that does have a separate sound card so I will experiment with using my AKG through that.

As my main interest is in voice overs either solution would win hands down over the Zoom.

Kind regards

Peter

QUITE some time ago the question of the right recorder came up by Ronnie West -

- the thread got quite a bit of discussion and if my memory serves me right, with some samples being offered

i think Tom Court and Ronnie ended up buying recorders but cant remember what

ken

Hello Ken,

Ronnie and I continued this discussion on Messenger, Ronnie was after the Sony D50 but it was only available in the States at the time.

I think Ronnie purchased some upmarket Pro equipment, with the help of a Hospital Trust as he broadcasts live for them on Hospital Radio.

I myself went for the zoom H2 purchased from Amazon for a reasonable £124.95 of all taxes and P&P.

If anyone is interested, there is a healthy discussion thread on going at the moment called Sound" Advice

Why not give it a look?

Tom.

Peter,

You Wrote...I do NOT have a separate sound card and it does not look as if I have any facility for Line Input on my PC "....

Are we talking about a Desktop PC or a Laptop/Notepad Computer ??....Let me know what Make & Model of Computer you

own and I will check it out. The Griffin 1102 is the latest version of the illustration had posted.

I have also asked Tom Court (Tomuk) if he had his Show called 'Butterflies' available and perhaps you would send him

an EMail for a copy of his show. He made the Sound Track with the Griffin iMIC and the sound was excellent.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

I can't disagree with any of that.

Perhaps you have some knowledge on different types of mikes which might be useful?

i.e. What's the benefit of using a "phantom powered" mike? Are they a) cost effective and/or B) any better?

DaveG

Dave,

May I suggest that you open a 'New Topic' :-..."Different Types Of Microphones".....Topic Description..."Their uses ??"

I shall gladly contribute to that (as will others) and I'm sure it will be a very popular Topic and a most useful one for

the newly emerging sector in "PTE Sound Systems" ~ it's a very good idea indeed as there are many types

of Microphones and many uses for these.

Brian.Conflow.

Peter,

You might send an EMail to 'Tomuk' who uses the Griffin as I do, and he had a wonderful demo of this on MediaFire.

The Griffin iMIC is totally different in technology compared to the 'Samson Intergrated-USB Mic' in fact it doesn't have

a Mic in it. You supply the Mic and any other Sound-device which requires conversion to USB Technology which then

completely by-passes the internal Sound-Card in the PC. The Sound signals are now Digitised PCM (no-noise), thats

probably the reason you couldn't get an input to Audition, I don't think it supports PCM ~ Audacity does.

The Griffin incorporates the Stereo A/DConverters somewhat like those used in the Zoom H2/H4 Recorders and

that quality is purely dependent on the Mic(s) deployed.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi! Brian,

If anyone is interested I have included a link below to the show you mentioned above.

I captured the sound track with the Griffin and like Brian, was very pleased with the quality,

If you want my opinion, go ahead and purchase a Griffin imic, at £15 on eBay I don’t think you can go wrong.

Here is the link to the show (I made this back in 2006; please ignore the poor quality images).

http://www.mediafire.com/?xotndzdm0tz

Tom.

While browsing through Sound On Sound Mag I noticed that another possibility exists for those still wanting to go with the hand-held digital recorder route.

YAMAHA have a new model which is priced at around £250.

It appears to be so new that there is no mention of it at their UK website!

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1

For anyone who is interested, I purchased the griffin Imic via Amazon and it arrived this morning. I put the installation CD in my machine and the first page to come up was free versions of Audacity and another sound editing software package, it would not advance so i re-installed the audacity and expected it to progress through the installation of the rest of the software but it didn't so I transferred the files into my programmes files manually. As I didn't have a mike to try with the imic, I continued editing a soundtrack for another show. Bu**er me, audacity threw a wobbler. The add silence command added a pre-set amount instead of allowing you to select the amount. So I checked the version on my machine after smelling a rat and found it had reverted to 1.2.2 and not 1.2.6 which is current. So beware buyers. At no time did my system say I had a newer version on my machine which it usually does. What will happen when I try to use the device I don't know. I downloaded the manual from Griffins site and it makes no mention of installing the software. "Is it ME" :(

Yachtsman1

Yachtsman,

I just read 2 Copies of your Post ~ It's a little unfair to compromise the Product for others

before you even get it going.....However here below is some help.

I think you put the 'Cart before the Horse' ~ the Griffin IMic is a 'Plug & Play Device' and

there are many Programs on the CD (including Audacity) and don't forget that anything

on a CD is always 'older' that the latest Web downloadable version of anything.

Being a USB Device you are supposed to connect it to your PC which is 'Switched-Off'

You then 'Switch-On' your PC and when it boots-up it will announce "Found New Device"

it will then offer to install suitable USB Drivers for the device ~say No~ and it will then ask

for the CD-Disc which you now insert. it will probably ask if your PC is a Mac or a Win PC

(that you choose for yourself) you then 'guide' the Install Utility to the CD Disc, double clk.the

Disc Icon and (hopefully) it will find the proper Program for you. If you are doubtful about selecting

and installing the Software yourself, proceed as follows...

Get on to Griffin Technologies and find the IMic and the appropriate 'Windows Pak' its free

and here below is their 'Link'~

LINK:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic

iMic 'Support Tab' (Top RH.Side) click this ~ 'Windows Pak's' are the 2nd or 3rd down the List.

Have fun...

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1223400944_thumb.png

Guest Yachtsman1

Yachtsman,

I just read 2 Copies of your Post ~ It's a little unfair to compromise the Product for others

before you even get it going.....However here below is some help.

I think you put the 'Cart before the Horse' ~ the Griffin IMic is a 'Plug & Play Device' and

there are many Programs on the CD (including Audacity) and don't forget that anything

on a CD is always 'older' that the latest Web downloadable version of anything.

Brian

I seem to have got up your nose with my IMIC experience. However I was not degrading the product, only the fact that there is no instruction on the manual about the supplied software, the download on IMAC's site is for MAC machines, not windows. I have copied the instructions below.

iMic™

Quick Start Guide

Thank you for purchasing iMic, the compact, easy to use audio interface for USB-equipped

computers. With iMic you can connect virtually any microphone or sound input device to

your computer and get CD-quality input and output. Setup is quick and easy. Here’s how:

Installation

Connect iMic to any

built-in USB port on

your PC or Mac.

Input

PC

1. Plug your microphone or line level

device into iMic’s IN jack and set

the Level Switch appropriately

(see “Mic/Line Level Switch” below).

2. Open the Control Panel from the

“Start” menu and select “Sounds

and Audio Devices.”

3. Under the “Audio” tab, choose iMic

for “Sound Recording.”

Mac

1. Plug your microphone or line

level device into iMic’s IN jack and

set the Level Switch appropriately

(see “Mic/Line Level Switch” below).

2. Select “Sound” in System Preferences.

3. Under the “Input” tab, select “iMic

USB Audio.”

Your audio software will now be able to

record audio from the device connected

to your iMic.

Output

PC

1. Plug your headphones or powered

speakers into iMic’s OUT jack.

2. Open the Control Panel from the

“Start” menu and select “Sounds

and Audio Devices.”

3. Under the “Audio” tab, choose iMic

for “Sound Playback.”

Your PC’s sound will now be output

through iMic’s OUT jack.

Mac

1. Plug your headphones or powered

speakers into iMic’s OUT jack.

2. Select “Sound” in System Preferences.

3. Under the “Output” tab, select

“iMic USB Audio.”

Your Mac’s sound will now be output

through iMic’s OUT jack.

Mic/Line Level Switch

iMic’s IN jack accepts either line level devices (like CD players, tape decks, MiniDiscs,

turntables, etc.) or a microphone. Select input type using iMic’s Level Switch. For line level

devices, slide the switch away from the audio jacks, to the position marked “LINE.” For

microphones, slide the switch toward the audio jacks, to the position marked “MIC.”

About Cables and Connectors

iMic’s IN and OUT jacks are industry standard 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo connections. As a

convenience, we include in the package a 1/8" (3.5mm) to stereo RCA adapter cable.

Adapters for 1⁄4", XLR, and other connectors are available at your local electronics store.

About Software

iMic works great with Final Vinyl, a free, Mac-only application designed especially for iMic.

To download the latest version, visit: http://www.griffintechnology.com/support/imic/.

For PC users, we recommend Audacity, a free, open-source audio recording and editing

package available from: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/.

In order to hear your turntable or microphone, you will need to enable an important

preference in your recording software, usually called “Playthrough.” It may also be called

Monitor, Passthrough, Cue, Preview, etc. Enabling such a feature tells the software how to

route your audio, and is necessary for monitoring even when not recording.

About Microphones

iMic works well with most dynamic and low power condenser microphones. Some

condenser microphones require what is known as “phantom power.” This is a higher

power level than the computer can provide through the USB port. If your microphone

needs phantom power, simply connect it to iMic through a preamp or powered mixer.

Visit Griffin Customer Support online at http://www.griffintechnology.com/support/

© 2007 Griffin Technology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. • www.griffintechnology.com

iMic and Final Vinyl are trademarks of Griffin Technology, Inc. • Mac is a trademark

of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. • Audacity is a registered

trademark of Dominic Mazzoni • Patent Pending • Made in China • Designed in Tennessee

1 YEAR WARRANTY

We stand behind every product with the industry’s best customer service,

backed by a simple, fair warranty. Using this product signifies your acceptance

of the terms of the warranty, so please read our warranty details at

www.griffintechnology.com/support/ before using your Griffin product.

It does not mention the supplied software.

Yachtsman1

Yachtsman,

Good god, your're not up my nose ~ I just like to see fair Play for a Product and in this

instance you have overlooked the following:-

1)

This is an 'Apple-Mac' Product ~ its not a Windows product ~ thus the name Griffin iMic

somewhat similar to iPod. Griffin make virtually all the accessories for Apple-Mac and

its name iMac should have indicated that to you. (Windows-XP is also catered for)

2)

Had you 'opened' the CD-Disc you may have found Windows Drivers on it ??...in that respect

I simply dont know whats on your particular Disc. However you should have found Playthrought

on the Disc and this must be loaded for the device to work properly in Mac and Windows.

3)

I didn't write the 'Instruction-Manual' so I'm not getting into an 'argument' or dessitation about it.

I did try to help you, and the Windows Drivers ARE available on the Griffin Web-Site and I will

assure you that there are many thousands of satisfied 'owners' using this product.

See 'Attachment'.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1223420809_thumb.png

post-1416-1223421546_thumb.png

Guest Yachtsman1
Yachtsman,

Good god, your're not up my nose ~ I just like to see fair Play for a Product and in this

instance you have overlooked the following:-

1)

This is an 'Apple-Mac' Product ~ its not a Windows product ~ thus the name Griffin iMic

somewhat similar to iPod. Griffin make virtually all the accessories for Apple-Mac and

its name iMac should have indicated that to you. (Windows-XP is also catered for)

2)

Had you 'opened' the CD-Disc you may have found Windows Drivers on it ??...in that respect

I simply dont know whats on your particular Disc. However you should have found Playthrought

on the Disc and this must be loaded for the device to work properly in Mac and Windows.

3)

I didn't write the 'Instruction-Manual' so I'm not getting into an 'argument' or dessitation about it.

I did try to help you, and the Windows Drivers ARE available on the Griffin Web-Site and I will

assure you that there are many thousands of satisfied 'owners' using this product.

See 'Attachment'.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian

I did as you suggested, however there is nothing on that page that says this is the driver for the IMIC, just a general comment this is a free PC or MAC download. You have to appreciate that not everyone is a technology superuser, so my first comments were the facts as I saw them for anyone at my level to be aware of what could happen if they tried to run the supplied CD., The product has a cd but no instructions as to how to install the CD, or what is on it. Also as to your comments about being fair, you didn't exactly enhance the sales possibilities of the H4/H2 by publishing your findings, I should imagine that anyone contemplating buying it wouldn't touch it with a barge pole now.

Summary of the H4 Recorder

* It is a good quality Recorder for simple 'Voice-Overs' within the speech range 100.Hz ~ 8000.Hz within +/- 10.db range.

* It suffers from 'clipping' as the VU Meter does not genuinely reflect the actual Recording Level across the above range.

* It has a highly elevated Bass response below 100.Hz and a (firmware) Filter Cut-Off above 15000.Hz. ~ so its non-linear.

* Other issues are SD-Card selection, and Battery Life, as well as LF-Noise.

* All of these issues are "correctable" and are clearly dealt with in the Sonic-Studio Review ~ See link below.

We in Conflow always see a 'Red-Light' when Manufacturers dont publish a Frequency-Response curve and a Noise-Spectra

for Audio products and our doubts have been confirmed with the Sonic-Studio Tests. Unquote.

To sum up, I have now downloaded the "hidden" software from the Griffin site, however I still can't test it as I don't have a suitable mike, but be sure I will and will report "without prejudice" what I find.

Yachtsman1

There is a lot of technical debate about this issue, but can anyone provide some links to slide shows where live sound recording has been used?

I would be very interested in seeing/hearing those shows and I guess others would too.

This will allow those of us who are not turned on with technical specifications to actually hear the results used in a slide show so we can draw our own conclusions using our ears.

Can anyone provide a link to a show and just let us know what recorder was used?

There is a lot of technical debate about this issue, but can anyone provide some links to slide shows where live sound recording has been used?

I would be very interested in seeing/hearing those shows and I guess others would too.

This will allow those of us who are not turned on with technical specifications to actually hear the results used in a slide show so we can draw our own conclusions using our ears.

Can anyone provide a link to a show and just let us know what recorder was used?

Barry,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but try this site, videos recorded using the Zoom H2 recorder.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/index.html

Tom

Barry,

Here below is a 'Live Demonstration of the Griffin iMic used in Voice-Over' ~ this courtesy of Tom McCourt (Tomuk) U.K.

MediaFire Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ngm5nayoto

Brian.Conflow

Brian

I did as you suggested, however there is nothing on that page that says this is the driver for the IMIC, just a general comment this is a free PC or MAC download. You have to appreciate that not everyone is a technology superuser, so my first comments were the facts as I saw them for anyone at my level to be aware of what could happen if they tried to run the supplied CD., The product has a cd but no instructions as to how to install the CD, or what is on it. Also as to your comments about being fair, you didn't exactly enhance the sales possibilities of the H4/H2 by publishing your findings, I should imagine that anyone contemplating buying it wouldn't touch it with a barge pole now.

Summary of the H4 Recorder

* It is a good quality Recorder for simple 'Voice-Overs' within the speech range 100.Hz ~ 8000.Hz within +/- 10.db range.

* It suffers from 'clipping' as the VU Meter does not genuinely reflect the actual Recording Level across the above range.

* It has a highly elevated Bass response below 100.Hz and a (firmware) Filter Cut-Off above 15000.Hz. ~ so its non-linear.

* Other issues are SD-Card selection, and Battery Life, as well as LF-Noise.

* All of these issues are "correctable" and are clearly dealt with in the Sonic-Studio Review ~ See link below.

We in Conflow always see a 'Red-Light' when Manufacturers dont publish a Frequency-Response curve and a Noise-Spectra

for Audio products and our doubts have been confirmed with the Sonic-Studio Tests. Unquote.

To sum up, I have now downloaded the "hidden" software from the Griffin site, however I still can't test it as I don't have a suitable mike, but be sure I will and will report "without prejudice" what I find.

Yachtsman1

Yachtsman & All,

Yachtsman you wrote..."To sum up, I have now downloaded the "hidden" software from the Griffin site, however I still can't test

it as I don't have a suitable mike, but be sure I will and will report "without prejudice" what I find"....

Well thats good News, and here below is a 'Live Demo' of the iMic in 'Voice-Over' usage ~ courtesy of Tom McCourt U.K. this to prove

that it does work, and it works well. Yachtsman, if you have any other problems with the Product, why not contact 'Griffin Technologies'

I found them very helpful indeed. (Their Web "Link" is in my last Post to you)

Concerning your comments about the (lack-of) Software Instructions using the Griffin CD-Installation Disc ~ yes unfortunately this is a

problem for some people ~ but after 20 years of Microsoft Windows usage most Manufacturers (assume) that the PC User has

aquired the skills and knowledge to Install a 'Plug & Play Device' such as:- Mem-Pens ~Card Readers ~USB Hubs ~Camera Software

and all such like devices...its not Rocket Science.

Your comment could equally be applied to the PTE Program, and many other Programs....but this is a "Help Forum" where if a user has a

problem they usually ask for 'Help' which is always "freely" offered and in my experience with PTE, the user rarely if ever 'pillars' the PTE

Program but endevours to get on with it, with the assistance of the Forum Members ~ thats exactly what I offered you on the Griffin iMic.

MediaFire 'Demonstration of Griffin iMic in Voice-Over usage'

LINK:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ngm5nayoto

Brian.Conflow.