WnSoft Forums

"Set Defaults"

goddi

Greetings...

I posted this request some time ago. Many read the post but no one replied to it. I'd like to post my request again since I don't see this change in the new 5.6 beta.

Currently, when in Project Options, the Set Defaults button changes every setting you have made in each Tab back to the Default settings. I was playing around with the new curl, flip and swap Effects that Igor added to the 5.6 beta. Very cool tools. But, after playing with the settings, I couldn't remember what the defaults were. After hitting the Set Defaults, ALL settings are reset to default. All I wanted was the Effects tab's settings to be reset.

I think it would be an improvement to have the name of Set Defaults changed to 'Set All Defaults' and add a second button, 'Set This Tabs Defaults' so that it will only reset the setting in the tab the user is currently in.

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

I recall that when you first made this suggestion I wasn't exactly supportive of it. However, the more I think about it, the more I can sympathise. I, too wanted to be able to reset just the effects to defaults after I'd "messed around" with the 3D transitions.

So, let us consider exactly what we mean when we talk of defaults. There are two kinds of defaults:

As-Shipped defaults

These are the settings that Igor provides in each version of PTE.

Project defaults

These are settings which we as users, might have stored in our own Template files, one of which we might have set as our default template for all new projects. If we haven't set up our own Template file then these values will be the same as the As-Shipped defaults.

So when we talk about re-setting to defaults we need to be aware that there are two possible sets of defaults.

If it was possible, from a coding point of view, I would suggest the following solution:

When the "Set Defaults" button is clicked a pop-up window appears that contains a series of "tick" boxes, one for each tab of Project Options. It also would have two buttons: "Reset to As-Shipped values" and "Reset to Project values"

The reset would then be applied only to the tabs that had been ticked and the choice of button would determine which actual values were put back in place. A full set of ticks should be present in the As-Shipped form; thus giving the same funtional effect as the existing Set Defaults.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

I recall that when you first made this suggestion I wasn't exactly supportive of it. However, the more I think about it, the more I can sympathise. I, too wanted to be able to reset just the effects to defaults after I'd "messed around" with the 3D transitions.

So, let us consider exactly what we mean when we talk of defaults. There are two kinds of defaults:....

regards,

Peter

===========

Peter,

I might see the tip of the iceberg, but you guys catch the details. Good points. I hope Igor can tweak the program.

Gary