WnSoft Forums

How to make PicturesToExe more simple and intuitive?

Igor

This problem was raised several times and I agree probably PicturesToExe become more and more complex for average user and we must think more about this problem.

So here is my idea. Please write as possibly briefly (better in one paragraph) for each point:

1) Some complicated important feature/place in PicturesToExe. Highlight the importance: High or Medium.

2) Your suggestion how to rework it.

3) What you think about adding of new professional features if they don't disturb current functions. Do they complicate the program or not? For example: Masks objects. Obviously if user is not a professional, he just can avoid using of this feature and program will not be too difficult for him. Is it truth?

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...So here is my idea. Please write as possibly briefly (better in one paragraph) for each point:...

Thank you in advance!

=================

Igor...

Just for clarification, if we have already posted a suggestion in the "Ideas...for next version" forum, do you want us to restate and consolidate them here, or only new, different ideas?

Thanks... Gary

For example: Masks objects.

I send you a suggestion about mask, I think it would be more comprehensive for user as the actual system with container, easiest to use and powerfull.

Igor,

Consistency

First and foremost, PTE must be consistent in its user interface. For example (and I'm not suggesting that there are any inconsistencies here) if I click on the Slide command in the command line I get a set of options in the drop-down menu. If I right-click a slide in the Slide List I should get exactly the same options. If I right-click on a "flag" in the Timeline, I should get exactly the same options. If any of these options have got a keyboard shortcut, they should have exactly the same keyboard shortcut in all three places.

Deleting slides

Staying with these examples: the Del key does behave differently in the Slide List and the Timeline. It should not. It should have exactly the same effect no matter whether it is used from the Slide List or the Timeline. If there are different delete actions needed then there must be different keyboard shortcuts. You have, I believe, six keyboard options available:

- Del

- Shift+Del

- Ctrl+Del

- Alt+Del

- Shift+Ctrl+Del

- Shift+Alt+Del

How many different delete actions do we need?

- delete the selected slide and close up the gap (by moving to the left all slides to the right of the deleted slide preserving their existing durations)

- delete the selected slide and add its duration to the slide to its left (preserving the place on the timeline of all slides to the right of the deleted slide)

- "delete" the selected slide and all slides to its right by moving them to the extreme end of the timeline (the "Cut Transition" option)

These three options can be covered using:

- Del - to delete the slide and close up the gap

- Alt+Del - to delete the slide and add its duration to the one on its left

- Shift+Del - to do the "Cut Transition"

What do others think?

regards,

Peter

O&A Common tab

What is the purpose of being able to change the "Time Range" values? If you use the up/down arrow buttons to alter these values, the changes are not made back into the project file.

I can understand that they display potentially useful numbers but that is all they are. They are information. These numbers would be better displayed on the information line across the bottom of the window.

Or have I missed something?

regards,

Peter

O&A Window

Object drag and drop

It would make the O&A features easier and more intutive to use if it was possible to select an object, group of objects or collection of objects (click, Shift+click and Ctrl+click) and then drag them into a new place in the hierarchy. This something that I have wanted to do many times. Right now all I can do is copy and paste. But drag and drop is more intuitive. And with the addition of the new mask containers I can see the need to reposition objects in the object hierarchy increasing.

Play/Pause and Stop buttons.

Replacing the Play/Stop button with two buttons: Play/Pause and Stop would provide a much more intuitive, flexible and user-friendly interface. (This idea was mentioned in a recent thread by Jean-Pierre (JPD) - it is his idea not mine but I agree with him)

I realise that both the above are new features but they would make PTE easier and more intuitive to use. And I think that is what you are wanting us to suggest in this thread.

regards,

Peter

P.S. I'm deliberately putting just one or two ideas in each post so that others can add comments and refer to the relevant post by its number.

Igor...

(For the current Beta 561) Here is one of the confusing buttons of PTE that has bothered me from my first use of the program: Set for existing slides

The button Set for existing slides is in the Main, Comments and Screen tabs.

When I see this button, I ask myself, "...existing slides?...what other slides could it be for?". Redundant? It makes me think I have a choice of existing slides vs. maybe one slide. I suggest that it should be changed to Update Project. This tells me that after I input my choices, the entire project will be updated when I press the Update Project button.

Also, in the Screen Tab's Additional Options section, separate the 3 possible actions with thin lines. The Color outside slide area does not need the existing Set for existing slides button to be pressed. So Color... needs to be separated from the other choices that need the Set for existing slides to be pressed.

And, by the way, I can not figure out what Color outside slide area does, as opposed to the choice for setting the Background, in the same tab. What's the difference???

Gary

Defaults, Options and Preferences

There should be a clear distinction made between:

- Preferences - settings that determine how PTE windows look and behave

- Options - settings that determine how the PTE project looks or behaves

- Defaults - the "as factory shipped" settings

The commands should be:

- File...Preferences

- Project...Options

I haven't really thought this through enough, but I'll post this much and see what reaction it gets.

regards,

Peter

Why not a 'basic' version of P2E with some of the more advanced features 'disabled'? Then call the current P2E an 'Advanced' version and adjust the prices accordingly with the option to upgrade later. I'm sure a lot of people are confused by all the options when they just want to make a slideshow with or without music and the ability to control timings, transitions and pzr effects. The early betas of V5 did, I believe, have a lot of features disabled.

Brian.

Set Defaults button:

I have put this in the New Ideas forum but it really is a confusing button:

Currently, when in Project Options, the Set Defaults button resets every setting you have made in every tab back to the default settings. (Peter pointed out that there can be Factory Defaults and User Template Set Defaults. This needs to be addressed too).

I suggest that the Set Defaults button be changed to Set All Defaults and a second button, Set This Tab's Defaults Only, be added so that it will only reset the setting in the tab the user is currently in. (Not sure how to handle Peter's Factory Defaults and User Template Set Defaults).

Gary

My first suggestion would be that it should be much easier for users to synchronize their slides to one or more pieces of music. Perhaps their is an easier way that I'm not aware of, but in the project options clicking the "Synchronize Music and Slides" does not have the effect that a first-time user or newbie would expect. You have to go into the timeline, as far as I know and click "Timed Points" and then "arrange all points" to spread the slides on the timeline. Not very intuitive. I understand the importance of the timeline for creating sophisticated shows where the transitions match the beats of the music or

Aside from suggestions others might make it seems to me that you could use your very own software tool to create a couple of quick tutorials for users who just want to put a simple slideshow together, perhaps launched by some sort of "Quickstart" button.

1. Select some slides

2. Set your project options (how long should each slide stay on the screen, choose a background, add some music, choose a screen size and resolution, choose your transition effects)

3. Do you want to synchronize the slides to the length of the music? (Make it easy to do this).

3. Preview your slideshow and make changes to taste (Maybe add something here about modifying individual slides to change a single transition)

4. Save it to an .exe

For some number of users, that is all they might need or want.

For level 2, maybe add something simple about panning and zooming.

For level 3, tell them how to quickly create a dvd, save it for an iphone, send it to uTube.

Beyond that, you could probably spend a long time trying to make all the wonderful and sophisticated options of the program easy to use. I'm not sure that is necessary, but I think a series of quick slideshow tutorials that briefly cover targeted areas would be a huge help to people who want to get deeper into the software and learn how to make more sophisticated shows. You've got the perfect product to do it ... why not use it!

(I realize we have some very excellent manuals, both PTE's and the one developed by Lin and others, but sometimes people just don't want to sit down and RTFM, where they might take a few minutes to see a quick tutorial that points them in the right direction.)

Guest Yachtsman1
This problem was raised several times and I agree probably PicturesToExe become more and more complex for average user and we must think more about this problem.

So here is my idea. Please write as possibly briefly (better in one paragraph) for each point:

1) Some complicated important feature/place in PicturesToExe. Highlight the importance: High or Medium.

3) What you think about adding of new professional features if they don't disturb current functions. Do they complicate the program or not? For example: Masks objects. Obviously if user is not a professional, he just can avoid using of this feature and program will not be too difficult for him. Is it truth?

Thank you in advance!

I mentioned this some time ago, you have to be careful the system is usable by all, not just the experts. Hopefully the newcomers will be able to use all the features eventually. For myself I will stick with 5.5 at present until I pluck up courage to delve into the future. Maybe a suggestioin that newcomers use 5.5, get used to the way it works, then upgrade when the instructions catch up.

Yachtsman1

Igor...

Rename Synchronize Music and Slides.

This is a confusing menu item. Not use exactly what the best way to rename it, but here is one suggestion:

Keep music spread over Slide List when 'Start Preview From The Current Slide' is used.

Gary

With regards to Gary's post (#14), I have to agree that it is misleading for a newbie. Let's approach this one from a different angle. Do we need this option? Under what circumstances would we NOT want the effect of this option?

My understanding is that, when this box is ticked then a "Preview from current slide" plays with the music positioned to reflect the offset into the sequence. Isn't this what we all want to happen when we play from some point part way into the sequence?

What I am suggesting is that PTE be coded to always operate as if this option was ticked and that the option to "untick" it be withdrawn.

regards,

Peter

Igor...

Main menu's Slide vs. Slide List's right-click menu items.

Here is one suggestion that I have not see mentioned before. It has always been a confusing menu setup.

The Slide choice at the main menu level has only some of the menu items that you find when you right-click on a slide in the Slide List. And some of the menu items that you see when you right-click on a slide in the Slide List appear in the Slide choice in the main menu level.

I think that all of the choices you have when you would right-click on a slide in the Slide List should be in the Slide main menu list. This would make it easier for a new user to find such menu items as Start Preview from the current slide.

And upon further thought, shouldn't the menu items in the Slide menu affect only the slides in the Slide List, as opposed to the slides in the Directory List? If so, the name of Slide in the main menu level should be changed to Slide List and all actions should be directed to only the Slide List.

Gary

Auto spread slides along music

When this option is ticked the durations of the slides should be recalculated and applied as if they had been changed via Customize Slide.

This would then mean that the effect was seen during Preview, Preview from current slide AND in the mini-player. This would eliminate another source of confusion.

The option to "Arrange all points" could also then be withdrawn, leaving just the one way to achieve this particular end result.

regards,

Peter

With regards to Gary's post (#8)...

The instances of the button Set for existing slides are all in the Project Options so they should always apply to the entire project. Therefore Gary's suggestion to rename the button as "Update project file" is a good one. But let's consider this a little further...

If someone wants to have a batch of images with a duration that is different from all the rest of the slides they already have Customize slide where they can make the change. If they want a batch of slides to have a different background to all the rest they already have Customize slide where they can make the change. If they want some slides to have drop shadow and others not, they don't have this option anywhere else. So...

Add the drop shadow option to Customize slide and then remove the Set for existing slides buttons from Project Options. If the change is made via Project Options it applies to the whole project and is applied immediately. Any exceptions to the Project Options are dealt with via Customize Slide. That makes this area consistent with all other Project Options.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Your post #16 is making the same point that I made in post #5. The one thing that PTE's user interface must be is CONSISTENT. You've given one example where it is not consistent. Hopefully it is just such points that Igor wants us to identify.

Your post #11 and my post #9 are also working in the same area. As I've indicated in my post, I need to get my head around this one again. Will try and reword things sometime tomorrow.

regards,

Peter

With regards to Gary's post (#8)...

So...

Add the drop shadow option to Customize slide and then remove the Set for existing slides buttons from Project Options. If the change is made via Project Options it applies to the whole project and is applied immediately. Any exceptions to the Project Options are dealt with via Customize Slide. That makes this area consistent with all other Project Options.

regards,

Peter

================

Peter, Your above post made me just learn something and resolve another confusing menu item.

Customize slide

When I see this menu item, it has always made me think that I have to customize one slide at a time. I now see from Peter's comments above that if I highlight a bunch of slides, I can apply the customization to a group of slides all at one time. So...my suggestion to clarify this is to change name to Customize slide(s).

This would let a user know that he can customize more than one slide at a time.

Gary

This is an important and timely subject Igor, it is very difficult for you to cater for the needs and please all levels of users, (beginners or new, intermediate and advanced).

The obvious answer is to have two versions of PTE, (Basic and Advanced), as in Adobe Photoshop elements and Photoshop CS. However if this is not the philosophy of WnSoft and you wish to keep just the one level of PTE then the following are some of my thoughts with this in mind.

A general principle of PTE should be to keep the main screen as simple and uncomplicated as possible.

A user should be able to build a basic show with the tools offered only from this screen. That is a show with basic transitions, standard timing, very simple audio, no PZR effects, no complex adjusting images to sound, and so on. This will allow a user to simple build a show first time quickly and easily thus giving a positive impression of the program.

As the user becomes more experienced and their demands for more complex AV production grow they then can use the O&A and Timeline areas to use the more creative functions in PTE.

To answer your questions--

There are no features/places in PTE I would rate less than High and none I wish to see removed.

Simplify the main screen and use more consistent naming of functions/buttons. Also as has been mentioned by others above a keys function should be the same across the entire program. An example is the DEL key in the slide-list/timeline. All the functions it performs are important and none should be removed but the DEL key should Delete and the other functions should be assigned to other keys or combinations thereof.

It is vital for PTE to develop and grow with new professional features added when needed, I cannot say this strongly enough. Can you imagine PTE without the O&A screen? without the timeline? or the video builder? I doubt if PTE would still exist today if these advanced features had not been added as most users would have gone elsewhere to other programs to find these functions.

They will not complicate the program from the users point if they are placed in areas away from the main screen therefor only seen when needed by the user.

With the exception of one area, (audio adjustment in the timeline), I think there are no major areas that need to be added to PTE at this point in time v5.6 is well developed.

Yes this is true Igor.

I hope this has been of some help and remember we all appreciate all you do for us users, (beginners and advanced alike), Igor.

jfa said what I think and I cannot say for my poor english ...

Thank you jfa!

Simplicity for the new user.

After , when you announce , Igor , a new fonction : added : xxxx , please , a minimal explication of the use .

Each one is not born as a genious and ones , as me , need a few wroten explications , even if I use PTE since november 2002 ...

Here are ones profesionals , but the majority is users for pleasure ( all my friends users ) and it is important to communicate with the basic user : it is him who speaks about PTE to future beginners !

Please , Igor , continue your way , but have a look to the basic users a little far of you !

I hope to be undertood easily ...

Igor,

Firstly, I have to repeat again this thread is an example of what puts PTE head and shoulders above any other software product I have ever come across. Not only do you listen but you react to your users concerns. I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say "thank you very much".

It may come as no surprise that, though I agree with much of what has been said above, my principal concern relates to the handling of "text" in O&A. I will repeat what I said recently in another thread.

I hope that in 5.7 the opportunity will be taken to "tidy up" the entry of text objects. I find it most irritating that not all the text inputs are located together but in different locations within O&A. I would like to see the text label being automatically taken from the text entered (with the ability to over-ride when necessary). I would also like the ability for fonts to be specifically sized as in Photoshop. Another irritation is having to search through a long list of fonts, time could be radically reduced if the most recently used fonts were to appear at the top of the list and if the last font selected were automatically selected, again as in PS or any WP system.

Regards

John

Hello all,

I like most of the suggestions made by Peter (fh1805), and it seems to make sense to tidy up the user interface, in particular the structure of buttons and menus, in a way that it is helpful for beginners.

I have doubts that it is manageable for a small company to maintain two product lines as proposed by Ifa and others. I myself do not consider PTE to be that complex, and regarding complexity it should not be compared with Photoshop, which has hundreds of functions whose co-operation is not clear to a beginner.

I agree with Ifa that PTE should grow with new professional features added when needed. Although not a feature of my interest, I think that sooner or later we’ll see video objects as parts of slide shows, as in m.objects and Wings Platinum.

Maybe it’s possible to combine mini-player and O&A window.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich