WnSoft Forums

Juddering of images

Bob Copeland

HELLO ALL!,

At present when I have created a AV show with animations I find that several of the moving images shudder accross the screen, which becomes annoying and distrcting.

I have re-sized all of the images and use a resolution of 72 DPI.

Can you help please.

Bob Copeland

Hi Bob,

Without more information it's difficult to be certain but quite probably one of several possibilities:

1. Does this happen on PC or only with a projector (beamer) attached?

2. What Video Card are you using and how much video RAM?

3. What is the pixel size in dimensions of your images?

4. What is the image size in bytes or megabytes?

5. What operating system and revision are you using?

If go to start, run (lower left hand side) and type in "dxdiag" (omit quotation marks) then click on "O.K." a diagnostic will run. When it finishes, click on the "Display" tab to see which video card and such you have in your system. Report back your findings and the answers to the questions above and we can give you suggestions for a remedy.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lyn,

Many thanks for your speedy response. I have tried to dfollow your instructions to obtain the information you requested and due to my lack of technical know how with the mechanics of computers I have taken a note of the info. given in the "DISPLAY" section to which you refered me.

Intel 82915G Express chipset.

Chip typoe Intel ® 8215G Express.

DAC Type Internal

Memory 128.00mb.

Dispaly mode 1024x768 (32Bit) (60Hz)

Drivers

Mini- ialamrnt5.dtl.

Version- 6.14.0010.3847

WHQL Logist;yes

Mini VDD; ialmnt5.sys.

DDI Version 9(or larger)

2. The jerking in animation mostly happens when i use a digital projector and laptop. Using my own computer there is very very little jerking. I am attempting to get hot air ballooons to move accross the sky and it is during the start of this movement thqat the jerking occurs. However as the show proceeeds the jerking diminishes consioderably.

3. The pixel size of my images are 1024x768.

4. The iomage size in bytes is 644kb on average. Sometimes a little smaller if I have reduced the size for effect.

5. My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition

I truast that this is the information you require and i do appreciate you helping me in this way.

Regards

Bob Copeland

Hi Bob,

The issue is very likely related to the ability of the laptop to properly render motion because of the video card. Many laptops do not have sufficient video card resources to enable proper smooth movement of pan, zoom and rotate. The next thing I would try is to be absolutely certain that the PNG files containing the hot air balloons are as small as possible in original dimensions. That is, crop all the "checker-board" transparency around the balloons to an absolute minimum then resize the balloon PNG files so that they are only as large as your maximum needed zoom. Of course it's much easier to create these files at full size but it greatly loads the video resources and laptops typically have little reserves in terms of video power.

The size of your original jpgs are a bit large for some laptops in terms of RAM and Video RAM but not so much that I would expect to see the video card overloaded. Do the same diagnostic on the laptop and see what type video card and RAM it has available.

The Video chipset on your desktop as reported by dxdiag is marginal but sufficient if the video requirements are carefully monitored (I had to actually purchase video cards myself for a couple of my computers which used this on-board Intel chipset).

My best guess is that if carefully cropping and resizing the PNG balloon files to get the video loading to a minimum doesn't cure the problem, a different laptop might be necessary to run pan, zoom, rotate on the projector.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Bob,

The issue is very likely related to the ability of the laptop to properly render motion because of the video card. Many laptops do not have sufficient video card resources to enable proper smooth movement of pan, zoom and rotate. The next thing I would try is to be absolutely certain that the PNG files containing the hot air balloons are as small as possible in original dimensions. That is, crop all the "checker-board" transparency around the balloons to an absolute minimum then resize the balloon PNG files so that they are only as large as your maximum needed zoom. Of course it's much easier to create these files at full size but it greatly loads the video resources and laptops typically have little reserves in terms of video power.

The size of your original jpgs are a bit large for some laptops in terms of RAM and Video RAM but not so much that I would expect to see the video card overloaded. Do the same diagnostic on the laptop and see what type video card and RAM it has available.

The Video chipset on your desktop as reported by dxdiag is marginal but sufficient if the video requirements are carefully monitored (I had to actually purchase video cards myself for a couple of my computers which used this on-board Intel chipset).

My best guess is that if carefully cropping and resizing the PNG balloon files to get the video loading to a minimum doesn't cure the problem, a different laptop might be necessary to run pan, zoom, rotate on the projector.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Greatly appreciate your help. I will resize the balloon images because until you mentioned the point, I had sized the whole of the image including the chequered portion which addds condsiderably to the file size.

I will also check the laptop video card as you suggest.

When i have resized and created a show with the balloons I will let you know how i got on but I am certain you have solved my problem.

Many thanks,

Bob Copeland