WnSoft Forums

Difference in monitor vs projector displays

Ed Overstreet

Hi Guys,

On this subject, I have contributed many Posts some time ago. I am rather surprised why nobody has

given some cognizance to the simple technical content of those Posts for the reason that the contents

will answer many 'puzzle's' as to what's going on with the Projectors you are 'Testing' and comparing.

The 'Screenshot'' below will show why such variations are experienced:-

And if further proof of this is needed please read the 'Article' in Projector Review,viz.

Link:-

http://www.projectorreviews.com/advice/Hom...terpolation.php

I hope this is of some help to you Guys,

Brian.Conflow.

Hello Brian,

Yes, I have read your posts some time ago, and they had some interestings ideas. You'll note some similarities with the explanations I posted recently.

Regarding the article that you linked, I doubt that it is strongly relevant to the issue here. Frame interpolation would be used for low frame rate sources, such as 24 fps video, being played at high projector rates, such as 60 fps, an issue with newer high-def home theatre systems. The resulting playback can be juddery, so one possible solution is to create interpolated frames between the original frames, thereby smoothing the playback (with the unfortunate side effect of softening the image, losing some of the high-def advantage).

However in our case, we have more than enough frame rate, at 60+ Hz from the video card. The problem is one of frame synchronization. The incoming frames are interrupting the frames that the projector is already processing. The frame buffer concept in your diagram could ideally help with this, as it could keep frames from overwriting. In any case, that is a hardware solution, and not likely to provide relief to us in the near future, and requires replacing all existing projectors.

The software solution I proposed to WnSoft *may* provide an immediate benefit, by reducing the frame rate being suppled to the video card. The trade-off will be an increase in playback judder. This is where the frame interplotation you mentioned in the projector could help, as our video card output would then be similar to 24 fps video. But again, this requires new projector designs and replacement of existing projectors.

Have you tried the DVI test I requested above? Does you video card and projector have DVI input/outputs to test this? I would like to see your results.

Thanks,

KDJ

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone got results yet for the DVI connection tests?

KDJ

Okay it's been over 3 weeks since I posted this request for test results, and no replies yet. Has anyone tried the DVI connection? Does everyone know what I mean by a DVI connection? On the back of your computer's video card, it will be a rectangular connector with 3 rows of square pinholes. The DVI connection on your projector will look similar, if it has one (not all do).

Your computer may have a DVI output connection, but may not have come with the DVI cable for it, so you would have to find/buy a cable to try it.

As there is a possibility this connection type could fix the problems PTE has with panning, I hope someone can test this out asap and share the results.

Thanks,

KDJ

• 2 months later...

Thought this would be a good place to post the following result, which I discovered today.

I've been playing around with VideoBuilder, with very mixed results (see my post at http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....t=0#entry66101). But I did succeed in burning to DVD a copy of my Angles of Repose show, which opens with the big panorama file, the pan on which sparked this long gruesome thread about problems with the Canon SX50 and some other projectors on displaying that pan smoothly.

I have confirmed that I can run that show, with its opening pan, very smoothly from a DVD created by VideoBuilder on two different DVD drives attached to standard TV sets, the DVD players both being Toshibas (one is an SD 1800 and the other is an SD 3980). However, when I play the DVD on my sometimes-problematic NEC drive on my laptop (see above-referenced post for more details re the NEC weirdnesses) using Dell Media Experience DVD playback, the pan looks very jerky (though it's smooth on the same system run as an EXE file from the hard drive).

So, while projection is an issue with this particular panorama -- in terms of either tearing or jerkiness -- it's not when played back on a DVD in either Toshiba DVD player to a TV set. For whatever that's worth. :blink:

The fun does continue, doesn't it :rolleyes:

• 11 months later...