WnSoft Forums

'Create Exe' Error Message Resolved

goddi

"Gary

try to set up a check sheet as to what is enabled ,works, coments etc

how you resolved issue etc

when you have resolved all issues -- good and bad, please post in a new thread in sequence for future

Peter may want to make a FAQ and Igor will likely want it for reference

TIA

ken"

=======================

In response to Ken's request, I put together more concise report on the Problem and the Resolution to the error message that I was getting when I did a 'Create Exe'. It is attached as a Word file.

It racked my brain for weeks and, with the help from members on this site, we finally found the answer. It seems that it has only happened to me, but it has occurred on two different slideshows of mine. I hope it is clear and will help anyone else who might encounter this problem. Thanks.

Gary

Create_Exe_Problem.doc

I wonder if this problem might be linked to false positives that occur from time to time with anti-virus programs that have reacted to PTE programs, requiring dialogue with the anti-v programmers to resolve the falses. Igor has several times needed to straighten out problems of this nature with anti-v people.

Norton, Avast, Trend Micro, AVG, and other anti-v programs have all at various times reported such positives from PTE shows. A search in this forum on 'false positive' turns up several pages of posts on the subject.

The thot plickens,

Colin

Colin,

I like that remark..."The thot plickens" and you are correct for the reason that Garys' (Goddi) problem is simple 'User Error'.

Had I known Gary was using 'Vipre Anti-Virus Software' (also known by other titles) I would have suggested get rid of it because

its known to be a 'Memory-Hog' and it also becomes unstable if used together with the Windows XP-Firewall in conjunction with

the remnants of the other Anti-Virus he had installed on his Computer before installing 'Vipre'.

The makers of 'Vipre' quite clearly state that all other Anti-Virus MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE PC BEFORE INSTALLING VIPRE and

furthermore why Gary wants to run an alternative 'Firewall' to the installed XP-Firewall absolutely dumbfounds me as the XP-Firewall

in XP-Sp3 is one of the best available. I have forgotten the number of Posts I have submitted about this problem of 'duplex' Firewalls

running in XP ~ even Microsoft disapproves of this practice ~ but there are those who still insist in doing so !!

Also Vipre is one of those 'old-technology' programs which is ALWAYS running in the background burning up 'virtual-memory' up to

known levels of 92% of that available whilst 'hogging' the installed User-Ram and pushing the Processor to its limits with unnecessary

utilities of 'File-Protection' which was used by Norton in the dim distant past around 1998. (We all remember those days).

These 'facts' are easily checked-out with Google....but then someone remarked..."forget the Tech-Talk etc"...at that point I bailed out

of this discussion and had not intended to re-enter it until I got that kick-start from yourself..."The thot plickens"

Funny how the clock always turns full circle...and if Gary reads this, I do hope he takes the advice given.

regards,

Brian (Conflow).

Brian,

I kinda take offense that you say the problem I had was 'user error'. Not that I am angry or anything :D but you have to give me a brake. First of all, I do not run the Windows XP' firewall AND my SystemSuite's firewall at the same time, if that is what you mean by 'duplex' . I am still using SP2 because I have some old hardware/programs (Nikon Scanner, for example) that I don't want to take the risk that they might not be recognized.

Also, I would think that if you asked a bunch of PC users to raiser their hands if they know what VIPRE or SBAMSvc was, you would not see many hands. I only became aware of it because I used the Unlocker program and found that something called SBAMSvc was locking my file.

Since then, I have done a bit of Googling of 'VIPRE' and 'SBAMSvc' and do see complaints of 'memory hog'. I didn't even know that SystemSuite was using it. However, I just found this recent review of the latest version of my SystemSuite:

"The major improvement in this release is Sunbelt’s Virus Intrusion Prevention and Recognition Engine (VIPRE). We found it both better at catching malware than its predecessor and considerably more configurable. While the last version didn’t let us run a virus check directly on a user-defined series of files and folders, this one does. There are no controls to set how much of a bite VIPRE takes out of your CPU while it's active, but it runs relatively quickly while searching for malware." I added the emphasis. SystemSuite's firewall and antivirus has been working very well for me...until this issue.

This morning I took a look at my Task Manager and found SBAMSvc showing a peak of 60K. While I was there today, I also noticed that the AD-Aware2008 program was resident and showing a peak of 160K. Even though it is a Free program and does not monitor anything after you close it, after you run it it stays in as a Process. To clear it out after use, you have to do an End Process each time to dump it. I haven't heard anyone bringing that up as a memory hog. But your comments have given me some insight to check the Task Manager more frequently for these types of Processes using memory.

I was really happy to learn about all of this. But I don't know of any other firewall/antivirus utility programs that do not have lots of bad press. And now I just looked again in my Task Manager and SBAMSvc isn't even showing up. I didn't do anything to close it. But it is gone...for now. :huh: If you know what you are looking for, you will find it faster! Thanks to all, I am now more informed.

Sincerely, Gary :)

=======================

Colin,

I like that remark..."The thot plickens" and you are correct for the reason that Garys' (Goddi) problem is simple 'User Error'. Had I known Gary was using 'Vipre Anti-Virus Software' (also known by other titles) I would have suggested get rid of it because its known to be a 'Memory-Hog' and it also becomes unstable if used together with the Windows XP-Firewall in conjunction with the remnants of the other Anti-Virus he had installed on his Computer before installing 'Vipre'.

The makers of 'Vipre' quite clearly state that all other Anti-Virus MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE PC BEFORE INSTALLING VIPRE and furthermore why Gary wants to run an alternative 'Firewall' to the installed XP-Firewall absolutely dumbfounds me as the XP-Firewall in XP-Sp3 is one of the best available. I have forgotten the number of Posts I have submitted about this problem of 'duplex' Firewalls running in XP ~ even Microsoft disapproves of this practice ~ but there are those who still insist in doing so !!

Also Vipre is one of those 'old-technology' programs which is ALWAYS running in the background burning up 'virtual-memory' up to known levels of 92% of that available whilst 'hogging' the installed User-Ram and pushing the Processor to its limits with unnecessary utilities of 'File-Protection' which was used by Norton in the dim distant past around 1998. (We all remember those days).

These 'facts' are easily checked-out with Google....but then someone remarked..."forget the Tech-Talk etc"...at that point I bailed out of this discussion and had not intended to re-enter it until I got that kick-start from yourself..."The thot plickens"

Funny how the clock always turns full circle...and if Gary reads this, I do hope he takes the advice given.

regards,

Brian (Conflow).

Gary,

Think the important point is that you resolved the issue and the thread and your concise word doc will assist anyone in the future with a similar problem.

Malcolm